Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Main Forums > Main Community Forum

Main Community Forum General Modeling & Photography Forum
Adult posts prohibited!>>Please Read Our GUIDELINES before posting!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
RAW vs JPG? Yep, that's come up again...
Old 04-16-2010, 08:56 AM   #1 (permalink)
Founder Garage Glamour™

Member GG#: 1
Comments: 10
My Mood:
Send a message via AIM to rolandogomez

rolandogomez is offline IP: 72.179.146.130

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Many still love to argue on photography forums about RAW vs JPG, and I chuckle when I recall some photo industry folks talking (back in the introduction of the RAW format days) that RAW was like "idiot warning lights" in a car, and not the gauges. But before you answer why you shoot one over the other, read this, RAW vs JPG Thanks, rg sends! (Oh, like the infamous Ken Marcus, I prefer JPG and getting it done right in the camera.)
Photographer & Author author of five photography books. My newest book is Socially Smart: Twitter Plus Facebook, Marketing Multipliers And Brand Boosters Click here for My Tweet Workshop Information and the Photo Blog
  View Public Profile Send a private message to rolandogomez Visit rolandogomez's homepage! Find More Posts by rolandogomez

Re: RAW vs JPG? Yep, that's come up again...
Old 04-16-2010, 10:37 AM   #2 (permalink)
Ed Peters

Member GG#: 37945
Comments: 0

epeters is offline IP: 139.181.28.34

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Hundreds of RAW formats (even within a single companies product line)? I use Canon and
normally C1 for processing (I shoot RAW), but I believe the conversion software (RAW to
JPG) that Canon puts out is free (comes with the camera on a CD), so I feel to see how they
make money on it (unless they charge other companies for the info on how to convert their RAW files?)?
I personally don't feel confident enough to set up the setting to save my shots in JPG (within the camera),
and would think they would be different between cameras (even of the same manufacture), so I play it
safe knowing that with a RAW image I don't have to worry about a JPG setting not working. Am I just lazy
or not a good photographer???

Old 04-16-2010, 01:51 PM   #3 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 41719
Send a message via AIM to srwatters Send a message via Yahoo to srwatters

srwatters is offline IP: 63.99.101.130

I won't disagree with your article, but your example is unfair for the average GG shooter. If I had access to the some of the worlds best makeup artists and the extreme pick of the litter models, I'd never have to edit an image either. Oh and don't forget the production assistants that are there to move hairs, fix wardrobe, move lights, etc....

For a typical one person GG operation, shooting RAW gives me the control of the digital darkroom to get my images looking their best. Plus my PhaseOne P45 only shoots RAW format.

Model Laura New photographed with the Hasselblad H2/PhaseOne P45, 210mm f/4, Hensel Integra Pro Plus 500 w/22" beauty dish. f/10, ISO 100, 1/125.

View Public Profile Send a private message to srwatters Visit srwatters's homepage! Find More Posts by srwatters

Old 04-19-2010, 10:14 AM   #4 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 55764
My Mood:

BenE is offline IP: 216.167.157.160

Quote:
Originally Posted by srwatters View Post
I won't disagree with your article, but your example is unfair for the average GG shooter. If I had access to the some of the worlds best makeup artists and the extreme pick of the litter models, I'd never have to edit an image either. Oh and don't forget the production assistants that are there to move hairs, fix wardrobe, move lights, etc....

For a typical one person GG operation, shooting RAW gives me the control of the digital darkroom to get my images looking their best. Plus my PhaseOne P45 only shoots RAW format.

I agree:

In the beginning I shot jpg only, but after attending a class by Eddie Tapp (of course you have heard of him ), I only shoot raw.

The main reason is because in a controlled setting where I am shooting with my studio lights, I am about as close to "getting it right in the camera" as possible.

However, I work in a world where I am shooting outside in various lighting conditions, such as open shade, cloudy, areas where light is reflected off colored walls, alleys, and other areas. This situation is common on one single session. I must also shoot quickly, and I move the subject a lot, even in one location.

It is called "high school senior photography". It is real world everyday photography, with not much time to set a custom white balance every time I move. In fact I don't even take a light reading. It is not that I am lazy, or don't know how to do it (I started in 1970), but I must move quickly and move to various locations.

I just do not have the luxury of being able to set up a shot, take a light reading, get a white balance, take 3 or 4 shots (I don't spray and pray), and then move to another spot which may be only 10 feet , and do it all over again.

So yes, as was said in the quote...." If I had access to the some of the worlds best makeup artists and the extreme pick of the litter models, I'd never have to edit an image either. Oh and don't forget the production assistants that are there to move hairs, fix wardrobe, move lights, etc....", and I will add, if I worked in controlled locations with plenty of time.... But I am being redundant....

I also tried shooting jpgs in the studio, and raw outside, but that didn't work because of the numbering on my images.

I get it very close when shooting outside, but there are times I miss, and since I do not take 500 shots of a high school kid, every shot counts.

If the color or exposure is off a bit, I can more easily correct it.

By the way, back in the days of film, I know many photographers who said they got it "right in the camera" actually depended on a lab to correct the color and exposure. Or so I have been told by many lab reps.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to BenE Visit BenE's homepage! Find More Posts by BenE