Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Main Forums > Main Community Forum

Main Community Forum General Modeling & Photography Forum
Adult posts prohibited!>>Please Read Our GUIDELINES before posting!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Finding a Niche
Old 03-31-2010, 03:31 PM   #1 (permalink)
Pro Shooter

Member GG#: 38375
Comments: 2

jimmyd is offline IP: 99.56.201.154

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

I spend an inordinate amount of time thinking these days: Thinking about where I might take my photography career in these harsh times of shrinking rates and growing competition. It's giving me a headache!

I'm not much of a gambler. I've been to Vegas many, many times. Most often, for work related reasons. Sure, I've gambled a bit but not in a big way. Not even close. Gambling, in my mind, has too many inherent risks, not the least of which are the odds: They're way too much in favor of the house. It seems like sucker play. For the vast majority of those who visit Sin City, that's exactly what it is. READ MORE?

(Note: Link contains NSFW pic.)

My NSFW blog
: http://prettygirlshooter.blogspot.com
  View Public Profile Send a private message to jimmyd Visit jimmyd's homepage! Find More Posts by jimmyd

Re: Finding a Niche
Old 03-31-2010, 09:18 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member GG#: 51075
Comments: 1
My Mood:
Send a message via Skype™ to PhotoDave1

PhotoDave1 is offline IP: 97.117.251.62

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Jimmy:

You are truly a man wise beyond your years. You have put into words what I am sure many, many of us are thinking and the prospects are not looking good for photographers who make a living behind their cameras. I saw a post on Craig's List put up by what I can only assume to be a GWC indicating that he would come to a woman or a couples home and take semi-explicit and/or explicit photos, give them all the photos on either a memory card or a CD and then erase all the photos from his camera.

This guy I am sure is a sick puppy but I can see a lot of people who want to add a little spice into their lives or have some racy photos to give their significant other taking him up on his offer and in the meantime screwing the heck out of legitimate photographers who actually make a living doing what this guy is willing to give away. If it were me doing this I certainly would keep copies of all the images for my trouble.

I myself have cut way back on my photography due largely to the GWC's, the soccer mom's and the Digital Debbies who are stealing business away from guys like you who have paid your dues and who do a truly great job.

Hang in there Jimmy and hopefully you will find your way.
deallen313@yahoo.com
Skype IM: DAllen3031
Twitter: ThePhotoPro1
Web Page: www.flickr.com/photos/3031photography/
Gear: Canon EOS 40D w/Grip + EOS 1N w/Grip; Tamron 28-70mm F2.8; Tamron 70-200 F2.8; Canon 430EXll
  View Public Profile Send a private message to PhotoDave1 Visit PhotoDave1's homepage! Find More Posts by PhotoDave1

Old 04-01-2010, 12:31 AM   #3 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 37106
Comments: 29
My Mood:

RHWeiner is offline IP: 207.6.154.117

I saw the comment..."Workshops" in your blog and am reminded of the various Named photogs who come here to the Vancouver area hosted by the people of VancouverPhotoWorkshops (good folk). Well, these Named photogs are not cheap by any stretch of the imagination. One New York photog is priced out at around 2 grand for a week's workshop. Bring in a class of 10 that's 20 grand and multiply by...say...20 workshops (can't go every week, eh?) then you are talking 400 grand. Not bad, eh?

Yup, the best 'Get Rich Quick' scheme is to live off the dreams of others and do up your own workshop...on 'How to Get Rich Quick"...with audiovisuals

Old 04-02-2010, 09:07 AM   #4 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 55764
Comments: 0
My Mood:

BenE is offline IP: 64.185.5.97

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotoDave1 View Post
=========== I saw a post on Craig's List put up by what I can only assume to be a GWC indicating that he would come to a woman or a couples home and take semi-explicit and/or explicit photos, give them all the photos on either a memory card or a CD and then erase all the photos from his camera.

This guy I am sure is a sick puppy but I can see a lot of people who want to add a little spice into their lives or have some racy photos to give their significant other taking him up on his offer and in the meantime screwing the heck out of legitimate photographers who actually make a living doing what this guy is willing to give away. If it were me doing this I certainly would keep copies of all the images for my trouble.
=============
Interesting comments.

Not too long ago I posted about the number of "glamour" type sessions I did had decreased drastically. The replies were all about "my problem". It was as if I was doing something wrong. Perhaps I was not providing quality, etc.

I tried to explain that I felt too many guys were shooting this type very cheap just to get some quick cash and to see some neeeeeked women, but most everyone kept telling me I had to give them something they could not get with the GWCs; maybe I needed to rethink what I was doing, and how I was doing it.

My point? It is evident to me that there are guys out there who will shoot semi nude , nude, or couples nude, or most anything else, for just a few bucks.

What is even as troublesome is that most people have a digital camera and they can make their own "glamour" shots for free, and make them more racy than they would ever consider doing for a professional photographer.. quality does not matter much anymore to a lot of people.

Commercial is going to the guy who works for the company and has a decent digital.

Weddings are going to cheap photographers, or a relative.

Portraits are being shot by a friend or relative.

Glamour of ladies is being shot by cheap guys or by the hubby.

I have said for a few years:

Professional photography is dead, we just have not given it a proper burial yet.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to BenE Visit BenE's homepage! Find More Posts by BenE

Old 04-03-2010, 02:08 PM   #5 (permalink)
Pro Shooter

Member GG#: 38375
Comments: 2

jimmyd is offline IP: 99.56.201.154

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenE View Post

Commercial is going to the guy who works for the company and has a decent digital.

Weddings are going to cheap photographers, or a relative.

Portraits are being shot by a friend or relative.

Glamour of ladies is being shot by cheap guys or by the hubby.

I have said for a few years:

Professional photography is dead, we just have not given it a proper burial yet.
Hard to argue against any of those notions.

My NSFW blog
: http://prettygirlshooter.blogspot.com
  View Public Profile Send a private message to jimmyd Visit jimmyd's homepage! Find More Posts by jimmyd