Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Main Forums > Main Community Forum

Main Community Forum General Modeling & Photography Forum
Adult posts prohibited!>>Please Read Our GUIDELINES before posting!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Question for Thought????
Old 03-03-2010, 04:16 PM   #1 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 42790
Comments: 0

nikonman is offline IP: 74.47.65.84

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

A friend of mine (Professional Photographer) is a wedding and Fine Art Photographer. His Fine Art photogarphs are strictly Black & White prints shot on FILM only. According to my friend, if a photo is not done with Black & White Film and processed by yourself in your own Darkroom then IT IS NOT PHOTOGRAPHY. Anyone who shoots with Digital is not a Photographer but just a Image Capturer....He does use color digital for his weddings but not for the Fine Art. Any Opinions???????

Nikonman
  View Public Profile Send a private message to nikonman Find More Posts by nikonman

Re: Question for Thought????
Old 03-03-2010, 05:06 PM   #2 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 37608

Mark_Oehler is offline IP: 173.20.170.135

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Is that similar to the guys that shot 8x10 that thought the 4x5 cameras were toys or the 4x5 guys that thought medium format was a joke or the medium format guys that thought that 35mm would never catch on?
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Mark_Oehler Visit Mark_Oehler's homepage! Find More Posts by Mark_Oehler

Old 03-03-2010, 06:14 PM   #3 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 35664
Comments: 1
My Mood:

mfharper is offline IP: 96.27.135.211

Then that is a real shame, it won't be long until photographers have gone the way of the dinosaur. Leaving us "image Capturers" to take all the pictures.... I mean captures of all the pretty girls!

www.hhphoto.net
  View Public Profile Send a private message to mfharper Visit mfharper's homepage! Find More Posts by mfharper

Old 03-03-2010, 06:39 PM   #4 (permalink)
Founder Garage Glamour™

Member GG#: 1
Comments: 10
My Mood:
Send a message via AIM to rolandogomez

rolandogomez is offline IP: 32.176.118.156

Tell him to crawl out behind the rock. While there are "purest" unless he's shooting daguerreotype or with a camera obscura, he's wrong Does he drive a horse drawn chariot to work? I think you should buy him a bouquet of roses so he can stop to smell them as the chemicals in the darkroom, which I started in and understand clearly, are affecting his brain. Thanks, all the best, rg sends!
Photographer & Author author of five photography books. My newest book is Socially Smart: Twitter Plus Facebook, Marketing Multipliers And Brand Boosters Click here for My Tweet Workshop Information and the Photo Blog
  View Public Profile Send a private message to rolandogomez Visit rolandogomez's homepage! Find More Posts by rolandogomez

Old 03-03-2010, 10:56 PM   #5 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 37106
Comments: 29
My Mood:

RHWeiner is offline IP: 207.6.154.117

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolandogomez View Post
...unless he's shooting daguerreotype or with a camera obscura, he's wrong
Well said...good response.

I've heard this argument countless times ...and then the photog in question starts raving about their new DSLR...after a while.

[personally experienced from a (then)film only photographer who claimed I only wanted to do 'snapshots' with a digital camera. She's singing a different tune now. Ha!]

Old 03-04-2010, 09:17 AM   #6 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 35858

Nate is offline IP: 98.101.193.30

I once had a "photographer" tell me that digital photography would never catch on because it was impossible for a digital camera to capture a straight line (huh). He knew this because he worked on a project researching digital capture.

While he was telling me this, he was trying to shoot a group photo of over 50 people with a small, point-and-shoot digital camera.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Nate Find More Posts by Nate

Old 03-04-2010, 09:40 AM   #7 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 55764
My Mood:

BenE is offline IP: 216.167.157.153

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikonman View Post
A friend of mine (Professional Photographer) is a wedding and Fine Art Photographer. His Fine Art photogarphs are strictly Black & White prints shot on FILM only. According to my friend, if a photo is not done with Black & White Film and processed by yourself in your own Darkroom then IT IS NOT PHOTOGRAPHY. Anyone who shoots with Digital is not a Photographer but just a Image Capturer....He does use color digital for his weddings but not for the Fine Art. Any Opinions???????

Nikonman
He is contradicting himself. If he says digital is not photography, then how could he claim to be a photographer while shooting a wedding?

OH, I see, he only captures images at a wedding and does not photograph it? Sounds like a great selling tool. Your friend can just tell his wedding customers the images he makes at their wedding is not really photography. See how many weddings he will shoot.

I know a guy who once said, at many of his lectures, that digital was no good; never would be, and he only used his digital to "preview" what the lighting and exposure was. That should have been proof he didn't know what he was talking about.

However, now that everyone he "teaches" has a digital camera, he has proclaimed himself as an "expert" in digital photography. That was all in a time span of 3 years... and.... he is sponsored by one of the digital camera manufacturers.

....edit.. I just had a thought. Is the reason he is shooting digital at weddings is because he is not really a "good" wedding photographer? If he was, he would shoot it on film, process the film, and print all his prints.

One of my mentors actually did that, until the day he died. That was just before digital was being used by pros.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to BenE Visit BenE's homepage! Find More Posts by BenE

Old 03-06-2010, 09:08 AM   #8 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 36276
My Mood:

kevinpieper is offline IP: 71.80.104.205

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolandogomez View Post
the chemicals in the darkroom, which I started in and understand clearly, are affecting his brain.!

Darkrooms give you bad breath, too.

I will admit, however, that I have a hard time taking a "photographer" serious when he knows nothing about a darkroom.

I think every beginner should be forced to spent 6 months with a 50mm fixed lens on a manual camera, and use only B&W film in a darkroom. You learn photo that way, instead of playing with zooms and Photoshop and other toys.

Many colleges still teach this, thankfully.

Old 03-06-2010, 09:56 AM   #9 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 35664
Comments: 1
My Mood:

mfharper is offline IP: 96.27.135.211

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinpieper View Post

I think every beginner should be forced to spent 6 months with a 50mm fixed lens on a manual camera, and use only B&W film in a darkroom. .
I hope they have a sturdy tripod too! Sorry couldn't resist. I understand what you mean and agree that the best way to learn is on manual. But I think you get much faster feedback with digital. I spent many hours in the darkroom but I think the darkroom days are over.

www.hhphoto.net
  View Public Profile Send a private message to mfharper Visit mfharper's homepage! Find More Posts by mfharper

Old 03-06-2010, 11:13 PM   #10 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 35218

Doug_Lester is offline IP: 66.32.169.171

I've known guys like that. I usually ask them which model of camera obscura they are using and if they designed and built their own.

Personally I find that attitude to be laughable. I did film photography for over fifty years, working with everything from 35 mm through 4x5 and on occasion, an 8x10. Hell I even shot with a 16x20 camera on one occasion. I taught B&W printing and was considered a 'master printer' by some, with my work exhibited in museums and art galleries. Now I shoot digital and my work has been shown in art galleries and museums. Tell the guy to grow up!