Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Main Forums > Main Community Forum

Main Community Forum General Modeling & Photography Forum
Adult posts prohibited!>>Please Read Our GUIDELINES before posting!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Format Change or Slow Death???
Old 02-22-2010, 10:28 AM   #1 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 56509
Comments: 0
Send a message via Yahoo to DDCStudios

DDCStudios is offline IP: 76.220.246.150

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

I haven't logged onto to GG in quite sometime, I was waiting for the format change to happen, but it seems it's taking quite a while for that to happen.
Is GG suffering a slow death, like myspace? Don't take me wrong, I'm not picking on GG!!! Seems like a lot of forums are dying fast. GG used to be the powerhouse of Glamour photography forums, only to dwindle away to just a handful of participants. I haven't seen any forums try to become what GG once was, which leads me to wonder if forums in general just aren't as compelling to people as they used to be, Myspace is dying fast seems that facebook with its Mafia wars,Farmvilles and etc is kicking myspace's ass.
So are people done conversing on these networks and opting to play games instead of actually networking or exchanging conversation? What do you all think it takes for a forum to be successful ??? What makes you want to participate on forums?? I haven't posted any images in the forums in a long time, but thats just due to the fact I haven't shot anything worth posting in quite sometime. I guess I've just become picky in my old age, I don't know. Maybe it's too much hassle to post images when no one really comments positive or negative anymore..

Just sayin.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to DDCStudios Visit DDCStudios's homepage! Find More Posts by DDCStudios

Re: Format Change or Slow Death???
Old 02-22-2010, 12:28 PM   #2 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 37106
Comments: 29
My Mood:

RHWeiner is offline IP: 96.49.129.155

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

I hear what you are saying. I've noticed a decrease in traffic here and, like you, haven't posted any new images in a long while. But then my photography efforts have slowed down considerably and even more so my Glamour stuff. Still, I do have GG set up as my Home site so everytime I crank up my browser it goes here. I guess that's also why I'm noticing a slowdown...because of setting GG as the Home.

Maybe RG is holding back on the change because of this perceived slowing? I do remember with the switching of formats over the past few years that there have been a lot of members normally vocal being quite quiet. And there were a lot of members who simply slipped away.

I do, on occasion, try to comment on images that are being posted but I want to be constructive in my words and not merely add, "I like this.". But if I am going to critique others' images then I had best have my own online to be in the receiving end as well. I know there's a long standing posting about adding images when commenting on others' work. But like I said my output in photography has slowed appreciably. Maybe I'm just waiting for good, dry, warm weather outdoors...there's nothing more miserable than a wet, cold, shivering and BLUE model. LOL

As to the upgrading...well that's out of our control. It will be interesting to see what shows up, eventually.

Old 02-22-2010, 03:52 PM   #3 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 55957
Comments: 1

Bodyscapes is offline IP: 205.250.103.32

I for one have been very active on Facebook to network for future business. I'm not a fan of MySpace with everyone's personal sites that tax the performance of my computer. Facebook has done very well for me...businesswise.

I'm sorry that I haven't participated on this forum as much as I had wanted to. I respect the comments from my peers, especially those who take the time to tell me what they like or dislike about the images I've posted Your comments have greatly improved my work.

I hope to participate more in the future, but unfortunately I'll soon be on the road shooting dance events, so my glamour photography will go on the backburner for a few months.

But when I do return and be more active here on the forums, I look forward to your helpful comments. Let's keep this forum alive!

“You don't take a photograph, you make it.” - Ansel Adams
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Bodyscapes Find More Posts by Bodyscapes

Old 02-22-2010, 04:31 PM   #4 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 55764
My Mood:

BenE is offline IP: 64.185.5.80

I will try again later.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to BenE Visit BenE's homepage! Find More Posts by BenE
Last edited by BenE; 02-22-2010 at 04:40 PM.. Reason: removed .. I didn't make much sense.. :)

Old 02-22-2010, 06:47 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member GG#: 51075
My Mood:
Send a message via Skype™ to PhotoDave1

PhotoDave1 is offline IP: 75.167.32.182

Don & Richard, you make valid points but you also answer your own questions. Garage Glamour is our site, we are Garage Glamour and it lives and dies by us. Don, you say you haven't logged in for a while and Richard you say you are waiting for the upgrades to be completed. Upgrades or not, I have logged into Garage Glamour at least twice a day for as long as I can remember and you are right, participation is down and this is a reflection both of the economy and the times we live in but also of the type of site Garage Glamour is.

This is a site for serious people where we come to learn and to share and help each other. This is not a flame fest site where people scream at and openly trash each other on an hourly basis or try to 'hook up' with members of the opposite sex as happens on certain other sites.

As far as the upgrades the last time I spoke with Rolando he commented that he was proceeding with them slowly due to some potential glitches in the upgrades and he wants to be sure they will work the way he intends them to before he just throws them up and hose his site and I agree with him.

Rolando is overloaded and I am sure running as fast as he can to keep his business going. Back when Frederick Smith was Chief Moderator Rolando had help but since his passing I don't think there has been anyone with his expertise or time to backstop Rolando. I know I don't have the kind of expertise that Rolando would need for a full time side kick.

This is our site and we make it what it is. If we don't participate the site slows down, if we do participate the site speeds up. I have seen an increase in new members of late and I hope it continues. I tried a few months ago to get the members here involved by suggesting that they post Photoshop tips for others to read and learn from and guess what? I had only one response to my Forum post and I was the only one who posted a tip. You can't complain about the process if you aren't part of the process.

Winter is typically a slow time of the year in any industry (except maybe skiing) but Spring and Summer are right around the corner so let's all do what we can to pick things up here and get things going. Dig into your archieves and post some images for critique and let's make the critiques good ones. Don't everyone say "Oh, what a great photo". Analysis the photos and make constructive comments. Let's see your opinions of the photos but of course keep it civil. Let's not just knod our heads and rubber stamp everything here. Let's get involved and make things lively again.

It's your choice, be part of the solution or part of the problem . . .

Nuff said!
deallen313@yahoo.com
Skype IM: DAllen3031
Twitter: ThePhotoPro1
Web Page: www.flickr.com/photos/3031photography/
Gear: Canon EOS 40D w/Grip + EOS 1N w/Grip; Tamron 28-70mm F2.8; Tamron 70-200 F2.8; Canon 430EXll
  View Public Profile Send a private message to PhotoDave1 Visit PhotoDave1's homepage! Find More Posts by PhotoDave1

Old 02-22-2010, 08:40 PM   #6 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 41629
Send a message via AIM to wsheldon50131 Send a message via Yahoo to wsheldon50131

wsheldon50131 is offline IP: 173.25.254.56

Seems to me as the economy has slowed, so have the forums. Things will come back, just slowly. The government can do very little to stimulate things and historically is very inefficient. Just be glad that the government is not involved on the forums.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to wsheldon50131 Visit wsheldon50131's homepage! Find More Posts by wsheldon50131

Old 02-22-2010, 08:59 PM   #7 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 35664
My Mood:

mfharper is offline IP: 96.27.135.211

I don't check in here nearly as often as I used to either. Mainly because there are hardly ever more then two or three new posts. I figure I can catch up if I check in every two or three days. To be honest, I've been a little worried about the upcoming switch. We lost so many good photographers after the last big switch. It was a pretty big controversy, most of the guys and gals just couldn't put up with the terrible forum software. I just hope there is not a similar response this time around, we can't afford to loose any more people.

www.hhphoto.net
  View Public Profile Send a private message to mfharper Visit mfharper's homepage! Find More Posts by mfharper

Old 02-22-2010, 10:40 PM   #8 (permalink)
Founder Garage Glamour™

Member GG#: 1
Comments: 10
My Mood:
Send a message via AIM to rolandogomez

rolandogomez is offline IP: 72.179.145.51

Everything is fine, we've been here since March 1999. We're a three man show, and only one real programmer, this is not MM bought out by a big company. Patience my friend, good things come in time. It's about quality, not quantity. Have to run, thanks, rg sends!
Photographer & Author author of five photography books. My newest book is Socially Smart: Twitter Plus Facebook, Marketing Multipliers And Brand Boosters Click here for My Tweet Workshop Information and the Photo Blog
  View Public Profile Send a private message to rolandogomez Visit rolandogomez's homepage! Find More Posts by rolandogomez

Old 02-22-2010, 10:49 PM   #9 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 56509
Send a message via Yahoo to DDCStudios

DDCStudios is offline IP: 76.220.246.150

Just want everyone to know, I'm not singling out GG, seems lots of forums have gone dead..maybe its because of the social networking sites popularity. but its not just GG!
  View Public Profile Send a private message to DDCStudios Visit DDCStudios's homepage! Find More Posts by DDCStudios

Old 02-22-2010, 10:54 PM   #10 (permalink)
Founder Garage Glamour™

Member GG#: 1
Comments: 10
My Mood:
Send a message via AIM to rolandogomez

rolandogomez is offline IP: 72.179.145.51

It's also been crappy weather for a lot of states. thanks, rg.
Photographer & Author author of five photography books. My newest book is Socially Smart: Twitter Plus Facebook, Marketing Multipliers And Brand Boosters Click here for My Tweet Workshop Information and the Photo Blog
  View Public Profile Send a private message to rolandogomez Visit rolandogomez's homepage! Find More Posts by rolandogomez