Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Main Forums > Main Community Forum

Main Community Forum General Modeling & Photography Forum
Adult posts prohibited!>>Please Read Our GUIDELINES before posting!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
OMP Newbies...sometimes you just have to shake your head in disbelief!
Old 02-01-2010, 11:12 AM   #1 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 37106
Comments: 29
My Mood:

RHWeiner is offline IP: 96.49.129.155

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

OMP 429401

Let's see....
1) 17 years old...age limitation as to signing releases and contracts.
2) 5'-2"...height limitation as to genres
3) Model restricts genre to Print, Sport, Extreme Sport, Magazine
4) 6 images posted on portfolio...3 of which are obviously webcam, the others look to be self portraits at arm's length.
5) Pro Status & Experience level...Amateur and None

Compensation????
! Commercial Only ! (Paid work)

Yup! You just gotta shake your head in disbelief!

Now, I'm totally into working with these "Newbies" and helping them out with decent images for their portfolios, plus the learning experience garnered. But this is an IMMEDIATE turn off...no matter how pretty/sexy the girl looks like. You DON'T come into this world expecting a monetary compensation...I don't think that even modeling agencies would expect that, either.

Richard W.

Re: OMP Newbies...sometimes you just have to shake your head in disbelief!
Old 02-01-2010, 11:35 AM   #2 (permalink)
Founder Garage Glamour™

Member GG#: 1
Comments: 10
My Mood:
Send a message via AIM to rolandogomez

rolandogomez is offline IP: 72.179.145.51

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

That's why I wrote this, http://rolandogomez.net/2009/08/myspacehem-models/ Thanks, rg sends!
Photographer & Author author of five photography books. My newest book is Socially Smart: Twitter Plus Facebook, Marketing Multipliers And Brand Boosters Click here for My Tweet Workshop Information and the Photo Blog
  View Public Profile Send a private message to rolandogomez Visit rolandogomez's homepage! Find More Posts by rolandogomez

Old 02-01-2010, 12:01 PM   #3 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

My Mood:

This is what I wrote to her...

Dear Parents of Hillary,
This is not the way to get into Modeling! Hillary, do not expect to get many serious messages of interest. You come to this site looking for Paid work only but what do you bring to the table? What I see is someone still underaged for much work and in particular unable to sign contracts on her own. You also present a limited choice of photographic styles for a photographer to choose from. And, to top this off, the images in your portfolio are a combination of webcam and 'arm reach' self done camera shots. You may think that you have what it takes to garner income from your looks but you are untested.

What you will soon learn is that you have to 'pay your dues'. Do NOT require Paid/Commercial work only, instead open up your compensation for TFP/TFCD work. Also, while you may only be interested in Sports/Extreme Sports, you will find that market fairly small. And, due to your age, your parents or guardians will have to sign off on any release form or contract. Do not think that you'll be able to do this on the sly.

I'm not trying to be mean...this is the reality of the Modeling world and, in particular, this OMP site. Do what I suggest and you will have a better chance in building a true portfolio of work that may, down the road, bring you to the Commercial Paid work you seek. But just not now.

Richard W.

And her response (within minutes of my sending) was this...

Thankyou, I don't take it meanly, I take it as advice, how about when I turn 18 and this year I could get a professional portfolio done/ pictures takin, than I will work my way up from there.?

Her response is encouraging...at least I read that she's thinking about what I wrote and seems serious in her intentions.

I have not and will not reply that I will be her 'manager'. I know myself better! All I am trying to do is give her some idea of what she's going to be getting into and a few steps that she'll want to look at doing. One of the things I will encourage her to look into is representation by a Legitimate Modeling Agency. But, given her height, I think she'd have a hard time getting considered. At least she'll have some lessons in reality.

I *SO* hate these "...next top model" shows. The reality is that many who dream of this will wash out the first time they apply to be represented...and so be diminished in their 'self worth'. And even if they do do well...how long will it all last?...yet another blow.

Is it my goal in life to be that Knight on a White Horse come to save them? Nope. But then again I've seen what is happening and if, in my capacity as a photog willing to work with them, I can brush some stars from their eyes then I will do so. Dreams are great to reach towards...just as long as you take care of yourself along the way.

Am I too 'off' on this?

Old 02-01-2010, 07:49 PM   #4 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 41629
Comments: 0
Send a message via AIM to wsheldon50131 Send a message via Yahoo to wsheldon50131

wsheldon50131 is offline IP: 173.25.254.56

Locally I see several photographers who jump to any and every girl who will give them the slightest bit of attention. These guys are the first to place comments on their page asking them to shoot. I find it creepy personally.

These issues are with all sides of the spectrum. Question is how do you try to teach a photographer the right ways? But also how to do it somewhat diplomatic.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to wsheldon50131 Visit wsheldon50131's homepage! Find More Posts by wsheldon50131

Old 02-01-2010, 08:51 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member GG#: 51075
Comments: 1
My Mood:
Send a message via Skype™ to PhotoDave1

PhotoDave1 is offline IP: 71.223.113.124

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolandogomez View Post
That's why I wrote this, http://rolandogomez.net/2009/08/myspacehem-models/ Thanks, rg sends!
I am in complete and total agreement with you Rolando although I have to say in my experience it is not OMP where this is so rampant, it is the other GWC site Model Mayhem where I see this on an hourly basis and there it will never change.

This aside, I am shaking my head as to how I missed this post of yours Rolando because I usually get all your posts. The only thing I can come up with is that I was either off planet or delusional with a fever and on a bout of temporary stupidity

Again, well said Rolando and for the rest of us all we can do is the best we can and suffer the myriads of fools out there who make life hard for all of us.
deallen313@yahoo.com
Skype IM: DAllen3031
Twitter: ThePhotoPro1
Web Page: www.flickr.com/photos/3031photography/
Gear: Canon EOS 40D w/Grip + EOS 1N w/Grip; Tamron 28-70mm F2.8; Tamron 70-200 F2.8; Canon 430EXll
  View Public Profile Send a private message to PhotoDave1 Visit PhotoDave1's homepage! Find More Posts by PhotoDave1
Last edited by PhotoDave1; 02-01-2010 at 08:53 PM.. Reason: Spelling

Old 02-02-2010, 12:13 AM   #6 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 61554

JonSiPhotography is offline IP: 99.249.220.218

Meh...

People are cool. Some are easy to work with, others aren't worth it.

View Public Profile Send a private message to JonSiPhotography Find More Posts by JonSiPhotography

Old 02-02-2010, 01:35 PM   #7 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 54172
Comments: 5
My Mood:

cifcap is offline IP: 88.68.247.84

Quote:
Originally Posted by wsheldon50131 View Post
Locally I see several photographers who jump to any and every girl who will give them the slightest bit of attention. These guys are the first to place comments on their page asking them to shoot. I find it creepy personally.

These issues are with all sides of the spectrum. Question is how do you try to teach a photographer the right ways? But also how to do it somewhat diplomatic.
Interesting,

I don't solicit the girls for sex nor do I say I shoot like Steven Meisel. I shoot nature scenes but that doesn't mean that's all I can or want to shoot. I've been trying for sometime for a shoot, but have had no success. What advice would you give to someone so they don't come across as a creep?

Olympus: E-300/14-45/40-150/35/FL-50/EX-25/HLD-3/ME-1/RM-CB1

Sigma: 70-200
  View Public Profile Send a private message to cifcap Visit cifcap's homepage! Find More Posts by cifcap

Old 02-02-2010, 05:34 PM   #8 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

My Mood:

Whoah!...Hold up there.
How did this discussion get hijacked to educating photographers? Let's bring this back to the original thread...the Unreal expectations of Newbies, especially those on these 'modeling' sites. I'm definitely of the opinion that you do *not* throw these people to the wolves by not venturing some of your experiences and suggestions to them. So, given all that I originally wrote I decided that being silent would be doing an injustice to her and so made the comment that I sent to her. Personally I see nothing wrong with that.

In reading Rolando's blog piece I start to wonder...am I one of those GWCs? So much of what he's written sounds and feels familiar to me. Yet again, my primary aim is *not* to get into these models' pants, that is not my interest.

On checking her portfolio I see that one photographer who 'manages' a lot of models is first in line with a "Desire to work with" comment. On going to his profile his portfolio image is a bare breasted young woman. What does that indicate to this young girl of his intentions?

But I digress. What I am saying is that it's up to us to educate these beginners and hopefully help them to progress in a 'Professional' manner. If that is not our place, then what is it?

Remember that sometimes diamonds are found in the general rubble. But you won't find them without searching.

Old 02-02-2010, 05:35 PM   #9 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 41629
Send a message via AIM to wsheldon50131 Send a message via Yahoo to wsheldon50131

wsheldon50131 is offline IP: 173.25.254.56

Quote:
Originally Posted by cifcap View Post
Interesting,

I don't solicit the girls for sex nor do I say I shoot like Steven Meisel. I shoot nature scenes but that doesn't mean that's all I can or want to shoot. I've been trying for sometime for a shoot, but have had no success. What advice would you give to someone so they don't come across as a creep?
I have no idea who Steven Meisel is, but I will google look him up. After much thought and consideration, the only thing I can come up with is have a solid portfolio. And post an image of yourself that is recent. Sorry but a photo that was taken 5 or 10 years ago is very easy to date.

It is also good to show that you can shoot lots of variety in most situations. Keep shooting variety as obviously you enjoy it. If a client wants to see specific genres of work, then show them that type of work only. Another thought on variety, try to shoot it the best standards possible at of technical merit while keeping the art still in it.

Money always talks, if nothing else only shoot with the best of models in your state, create yourself to be an exclusive club. For the average model/ photographer almost always oogle and ah attractive people, but say shoot me and you probably will not receive as many comments.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to wsheldon50131 Visit wsheldon50131's homepage! Find More Posts by wsheldon50131

Old 02-02-2010, 09:23 PM   #10 (permalink)

Member GG#: 51075
Comments: 1
My Mood:
Send a message via Skype™ to PhotoDave1

PhotoDave1 is offline IP: 75.172.241.117

Quote:
Originally Posted by RHWeiner View Post
Whoah!...Hold up there.
How did this discussion get hijacked to educating photographers? Let's bring this back to the original thread...the Unreal expectations of Newbies, especially those on these 'modeling' sites. I'm definitely of the opinion that you do *not* throw these people to the wolves by not venturing some of your experiences and suggestions to them. So, given all that I originally wrote I decided that being silent would be doing an injustice to her and so made the comment that I sent to her. Personally I see nothing wrong with that.

In reading Rolando's blog piece I start to wonder...am I one of those GWCs? So much of what he's written sounds and feels familiar to me. Yet again, my primary aim is *not* to get into these models' pants, that is not my interest.

On checking her portfolio I see that one photographer who 'manages' a lot of models is first in line with a "Desire to work with" comment. On going to his profile his portfolio image is a bare breasted young woman. What does that indicate to this young girl of his intentions?

But I digress. What I am saying is that it's up to us to educate these beginners and hopefully help them to progress in a 'Professional' manner. If that is not our place, then what is it?

Remember that sometimes diamonds are found in the general rubble. But you won't find them without searching.
Richard, I agree with what you have written but sadly your message is lost on people like this. They come from the 'me' generation and think the world owes them something without them having to give anything in return and when someone provides them with even positive critism they become offended and claim that you are harassing them.

It is better for us to try and find those who will benefit from what we have to offer and work with and mentor them than to try and save those who either can't be saved or simply don't see that they need to be saved.
deallen313@yahoo.com
Skype IM: DAllen3031
Twitter: ThePhotoPro1
Web Page: www.flickr.com/photos/3031photography/
Gear: Canon EOS 40D w/Grip + EOS 1N w/Grip; Tamron 28-70mm F2.8; Tamron 70-200 F2.8; Canon 430EXll
  View Public Profile Send a private message to PhotoDave1 Visit PhotoDave1's homepage! Find More Posts by PhotoDave1