Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Main Forums > Main Community Forum

Main Community Forum General Modeling & Photography Forum
Adult posts prohibited!>>Please Read Our GUIDELINES before posting!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Are you shooting Video as well as Stills?
Old 11-24-2009, 10:53 AM   #1 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 37106
Comments: 29
My Mood:

RHWeiner is offline IP: 96.49.129.155

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Yesterday I got an email from the NAPP (photoshopuser.com) asking me to take a few minutes to fill out a survey...

Adobe Digital Video and Audio Group
With still cameras offering more and more robust video capabilities, many NAPP members have expressed an interest in learning more about video capture and edit techniques. In an attempt to provide you with meaningful training and tutorial content, we've developed this survey to better understand what you would like to learn about video.

Personally, I have enough problems just getting conversant and consistent with my (20D) still camera without having to worry about adding "motion" into the learning curve. I also think that going from still to motion takes a new mindset, a new way of 'seeing' and preplanning.

Given that we are already discussing the New "Pro" in another thread I don't want to hijack that discussion. Rather I'd like to see how many of us here, with DSLRs that have Video capabilities, are exploring or actively using this medium in their work? Is this a 'fad' thing?...marketing ploy?

Re: Are you shooting Video as well as Stills?
Old 11-24-2009, 11:51 AM   #2 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 55764
Comments: 0
My Mood:

BenE is offline IP: 216.167.157.149

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

I am not that knowledgeable about all cameras, but broadcast quality is not something you can get with this sort of video, from what I have seen. So, I am not sure what you would use it for.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to BenE Visit BenE's homepage! Find More Posts by BenE

Old 11-24-2009, 02:14 PM   #3 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenE View Post
...So, I am not sure what you would use it for.
Ben, neither do I. Perhaps this is what I am truly asking...
"If you do shoot Video with your DSLR, what are you shooting, why, what for?"

http://www.ashesandsnow.org/en/flash-popup.php

This gorgeous site uses both video and still incorporated within. In the bio of the artist it says that Gregory Colbert started making documentary films that lead to fine arts photography. So from motion to stills.

Some years ago a friend showed an A/V presentation by a Fashion Photographer that incorporated fades within a tryptic format...and it was a PowerPoint presentation! Imagine the coding needed for that!

Then ProShow started getting converts for their digital presentations...a lot of fades, pans, closeups, swirls and enough loopy transitions to make you feel you were on a roller coaster (too much in my estimation!)

Now?....
http://www.digitalphotopro.com/busin...collision.html

So this is where things are going!

Digital PhotoPro also had a previous article that is, perhaps, more disconcerting...especially for those of you trying to make a livable income...

http://www.digitalphotopro.com/busin...aphy-star.html

From that article, this snippet...
"However, when I revisited the assertion for this article, I was able to get verification of the trend from two high-profile photographers’ agents who asked for anonymity. “In the last six months, several jobs were lost because of the video issue,” said one agent. The agents I spoke with were protective about which photographers were affected. But the trend is clear: Video now is a requirement for landing gigs."

So there is a perceived need starting...and once started, it won't stop.

Now, to get back to your question...in Glamour photography I can see this being used to 'document' the actual shoot and the stills to be the high res examples. But can one just jump into it? I don't think so as you need to have a 'game plan', that is to say you need to have a preconception of what you want...*and* the skills to pull this off. If you think that a bad photograph is horrible...a bad movie is even worse! (Ebert gives it the 'thumbs down'.)

So to expand on my original and edited question...
The technology is 'out there', are you going to use it?

I'm still using my 20D (works/paid for) but am considering an upgrade to the 7D so the capability would be there for HD Vid capture.

Old 11-24-2009, 03:19 PM   #4 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 55764
My Mood:

BenE is offline IP: 216.167.157.149

Quote:
Originally Posted by RHWeiner View Post
Ben, neither do I. Perhaps this is what I am truly asking...
"If you do shoot Video with your DSLR, what are you shooting, why, what for?"

http://www.ashesandsnow.org/en/flash-popup.php

This gorgeous site uses both video and still incorporated within. In the bio of the artist it says that Gregory Colbert started making documentary films that lead to fine arts photography. So from motion to stills.

Some years ago a friend showed an A/V presentation by a Fashion Photographer that incorporated fades within a tryptic format...and it was a PowerPoint presentation! Imagine the coding needed for that!

Then ProShow started getting converts for their digital presentations...a lot of fades, pans, closeups, swirls and enough loopy transitions to make you feel you were on a roller coaster (too much in my estimation!)

Now?....
http://www.digitalphotopro.com/busin...collision.html

So this is where things are going!

Digital PhotoPro also had a previous article that is, perhaps, more disconcerting...especially for those of you trying to make a livable income...

http://www.digitalphotopro.com/busin...aphy-star.html

From that article, this snippet...
"However, when I revisited the assertion for this article, I was able to get verification of the trend from two high-profile photographers’ agents who asked for anonymity. “In the last six months, several jobs were lost because of the video issue,” said one agent. The agents I spoke with were protective about which photographers were affected. But the trend is clear: Video now is a requirement for landing gigs."

So there is a perceived need starting...and once started, it won't stop.

Now, to get back to your question...in Glamour photography I can see this being used to 'document' the actual shoot and the stills to be the high res examples. But can one just jump into it? I don't think so as you need to have a 'game plan', that is to say you need to have a preconception of what you want...*and* the skills to pull this off. If you think that a bad photograph is horrible...a bad movie is even worse! (Ebert gives it the 'thumbs down'.)

So to expand on my original and edited question...
The technology is 'out there', are you going to use it?

I'm still using my 20D (works/paid for) but am considering an upgrade to the 7D so the capability would be there for HD Vid capture.
The snippet you quoted referred to the Red Digital Cinema Camera. The cost is about $17,500 for the body alone. This was what I meant when I said broadcast quality was not achievable, to my knowledge, with a DSLR in video mode.
I did once offered video for weddings, but it was a lot of trouble, and the results were not even close to professional. By today's standards they look extremely "home movieish", even though I paid over $2 grand (at that time.. in the late 70's) for all the equipment.
With that said, I believe to do it correctly, you would need a videographer to do that part, because I cannot believe a photographer could do both.
And if you are using one camera for stills and video, that seems to be a problem.

To answer.. I have no plans to shoot any video for now, and would need to see a video from the 7D or any other DSLR, on a HDTV, before I passed judgment on the quality.
I looked at some sample videos from the 7D and they look good on a computer monitor, but most anything looks good on a monitor..
  View Public Profile Send a private message to BenE Visit BenE's homepage! Find More Posts by BenE

Old 11-24-2009, 04:54 PM   #5 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

My Mood:

Quote:
The snippet you quoted referred to the Red Digital Cinema Camera. The cost is about $17,500 for the body alone. This was what I meant when I said broadcast quality was not achievable, to my knowledge, with a DSLR in video mode.
Red may have been the reference but I don't think the writer was saying "Red only". It may be the only one at the moment but I'm sure that technology will change soon enough that future DSLRs will be able to handle what Red does now.

Quote:
...I believe to do it correctly, you would need a videographer to do that part, because I cannot believe a photographer could do both.
In terms of experience and 'sight' (being able to 'see' the shot) I agree that a Videographer would have it over a Photographer when it came to Motion Capture. But then I think the DSLR manufacturers are saying that their Hardware can handle both Motion and Still and, unspoken, that the Wetware (photog) can do this too. Basically it's, "We are providing you with the tools in one package, what you do with this is up to you...but it's possible". Possible, yes...probable, no.

Quote:
And if you are using one camera for stills and video, that seems to be a problem.
Not according to the manufacturers.

Quote:
...but most anything looks good on a monitor..
...except for the photographer. (Um, ME, that is. )

Old 12-05-2009, 01:53 AM   #6 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

My Mood:

RHWeiner is offline IP: 205.250.55.248

http://www.dpreview.com/learn/?/Guid...s_guide_01.htm

Old 12-11-2009, 08:18 PM   #7 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 39216
Comments: 2
Send a message via MSN to isaiahbrink Send a message via Yahoo to isaiahbrink

isaiahbrink is offline IP: 69.132.64.65

A resounding NO. I am a photographer not a videographer. I have never been interested in the moving picture side of things, not that there's anything wrong with it, but I can't take it seriously when a still camera does video, it's not entirely designed for that. If you want to do video, do it right, get a video camera.

Old 12-16-2009, 06:29 AM   #8 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 36276
My Mood:

kevinpieper is offline IP: 71.80.104.205

Nope, no thanks.
If I need video, I'll hire a videographer with a real video camera.

I tell stories through stills only.