Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Main Forums > Main Community Forum

Main Community Forum General Modeling & Photography Forum
Adult posts prohibited!>>Please Read Our GUIDELINES before posting!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Just bought NikonD60 & need advice about lenses!
Old 11-16-2009, 03:31 PM   #1 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 64085
Comments: 0

patrickcrawley44 is offline IP: 75.82.61.109

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

So I just purchased a Nikon D60 and I am going to be using it for glamour type modeling for my clothing line. I wanted to know if anybody had any ideas or experience with Nikon lenses and had some advice as to what lenses I should look into buying and using for my Nikon D60. I thought this would be a good camera considering I am only a beginner. I found a good price on the Nikon D80 also, but was told that the D60 would be a better route since I am only a beginner and still need to learn the ropes of the SLR Digital cameras.

I would love to hear your guys advice so please tell me whatever means you can help me with!

Thank you and best regards.

Patrick
  View Public Profile Send a private message to patrickcrawley44 Find More Posts by patrickcrawley44

Re: Just bought NikonD60 & need advice about lenses!
Old 11-16-2009, 05:13 PM   #2 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 37855
Comments: 1

TomRobin is offline IP: 68.163.241.128

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Dear Patrick,

Nice choice for a first camera. The best advice anyone can give you on starting out in photography is to go out and shoot, shoot, shoot. Take a close look at the photos. Examine them for focus, lighting, image quality and finally composition. If you have not already done it, pick up a manual dedicated to your camera. Magic Lantern Guides are good, but there are other books that you can use to find out what each button is on the camera and what its function is. Until you become familiar with your camera and can use the basic controls (almost) instinctively, it becomes a potential block to getting that photo that you might miss. See if you can change memory cards (it used to be film) without looking at the camera.

Now, for lenses. You must look at the kind of photography that you will be doing. Obviously, if shooting sports, like basketball, you need a telephoto, and the faster, the better. Weddings, landscape, model, etc. will dictate their own requirements. Since you are on this site, you can probably get by with a basic zoom in the 28-70 range. Again, the faster the better (ie. f/2.8 over an f/4-5.6) . Allowing extra cost for Brand Name hardware, basically you get what you pay for. One thing I will suggest: with the trend toward full-frame sensors, I would try to stay away from 'digital only' lenses. When you upgrade, you want to be able to use your old lenses.

The next thing to consider is software. It is easy to get an image into your computer, but if you are going to get to the point where you will be supplying your customer with a print that they can hang on the wall (for years!), you will need a good editing program. Of course Adobe Photoshop is the defacto standard, but Photoshop Elements and several other programs will serve you well. As with your camera, practice, practice, practice. You will eventually become very familiar with the basic editing tools.

I guess that is enough for now. Here are a few other things to consider:
--Pick up a dedicated flash (SB600, 800, etc.) as soon as possible.
--Start looking at photo printers. Consider the archival quality of the prints.
--Start learning about light modifiers - reflectors, etc. and become familiar with off-camera lighting, plus umbrellas, diffusers, etc.
--Consider tripods & other support hardware.
--You will need a good padded camera bag to carry everything.
--Memory cards are cheap right now. Make sure you have extra, AND try to resist the urge to shoot everything in JPEG. Start early with RAW files.
--Talk to others. Many of the members of this site are very opinionated, BUT they represent years of experience and if you look, there is lots of good advice.
--Remember that todays camera will probably become your future backup, so take care of it & clean it regularly.
--If you have not taken any photo courses, pick up a couple books on the basics. Read them and learn, then go out and practice some more.

Well, I think my answer strayed a bit off your question, so I apologize for that.
Good Shooting,
Tom
  View Public Profile Send a private message to TomRobin Visit TomRobin's homepage! Find More Posts by TomRobin

Old 11-16-2009, 05:31 PM   #3 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 37855
Comments: 1

TomRobin is offline IP: 68.163.241.128

I forgot the obligatory photo
Click for larger version
  View Public Profile Send a private message to TomRobin Visit TomRobin's homepage! Find More Posts by TomRobin

Old 11-16-2009, 07:12 PM   #4 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 64085
Comments: 0

patrickcrawley44 is offline IP: 75.82.61.109

thank you so much for the advice. it is very helpful. I am a little bummed I just bought the camera and saw that someone is selling a nikon d80 with two lenses for only 625. I hope the lens that comes with the camera I purchased will suit me well. All of this equipment gets really expensive!
  View Public Profile Send a private message to patrickcrawley44 Find More Posts by patrickcrawley44