Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Main Forums > Main Community Forum

Main Community Forum General Modeling & Photography Forum
Adult posts prohibited!>>Please Read Our GUIDELINES before posting!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Model Mayhem's Mayhem
Old 10-30-2009, 02:11 PM   #1 (permalink)
Pro Shooter

Member GG#: 38375
Comments: 2

jimmyd is offline IP: 69.226.36.191

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Been too long since I've updated: A combination of being busy and being lazy. I'd lay the blame about 50% on each of those factors.

I've been spending some of that lazy time on Model Mayhem lately. Nothing Earth-shattering about that. It's just that MM isn't a forum I've invested too much time with in the past.

Generally, I perceive MM as more a social networking site and less a photography forum. It's like MySpace or Facebook with a model/photographer theme... READ MORE?

My NSFW blog
: http://prettygirlshooter.blogspot.com
  View Public Profile Send a private message to jimmyd Visit jimmyd's homepage! Find More Posts by jimmyd

Re: Model Mayhem's Mayhem
Old 11-01-2009, 10:01 AM   #2 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 59627

womackphoto is offline IP: 70.246.73.104

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

I've found most of my models on MM, but, it IS too liberal for me, especially in the forums.
  View Public Profile Visit womackphoto's homepage! Find More Posts by womackphoto

Old 11-01-2009, 11:05 AM   #3 (permalink)

Member GG#: 51075
Comments: 1
My Mood:
Send a message via Skype™ to PhotoDave1

PhotoDave1 is offline IP: 97.124.57.22

Jimmy:

You are truly a valued member of and contributor to Garage Glamour. I enjoy reading your Blogs learn from every one of them.

As to Model Mayhem there have been some significant changes there which affect what you see and experience on that site.

The original Owner of Model Mayhem who started the site for altrustic reasons sold it over a year ago to a company in Florida, Internet Brands and their motivations are a little more earthy. Internet Brands is a for profit company that is driven solely by the bottom line ie, the almighty dollar and have taken an extremely heavy handed approach towards the day to day operations at Model Mayhem.

The Moderators at Model Mayhem have been instructed to squash anything that might even be remotely be construed as detrimental to the money making efforts of Internet Brands.

This is why the VIP Photographer/Model program was launched at Model Mayhem and this is why the number of photos for a Basic member was slashed from 20 to 10. This is also why the 'new' Model Mayhem has become inundated with ads and pop-ups. It is all about the dollar and Model Mayhem has become a money making machine for its new Owner.

Keep up the great work Jimmie.
deallen313@yahoo.com
Skype IM: DAllen3031
Twitter: ThePhotoPro1
Web Page: www.flickr.com/photos/3031photography/
Gear: Canon EOS 40D w/Grip + EOS 1N w/Grip; Tamron 28-70mm F2.8; Tamron 70-200 F2.8; Canon 430EXll
  View Public Profile Send a private message to PhotoDave1 Visit PhotoDave1's homepage! Find More Posts by PhotoDave1

Old 11-02-2009, 04:45 PM   #4 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 55764
Comments: 0
My Mood:

BenE is offline IP: 216.167.157.135

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyd View Post
Been too long since I've updated: A combination of being busy and being lazy. I'd lay the blame about 50% on each of those factors.

I've been spending some of that lazy time on Model Mayhem lately. Nothing Earth-shattering about that. It's just that MM isn't a forum I've invested too much time with in the past.

Generally, I perceive MM as more a social networking site and less a photography forum. It's like MySpace or Facebook with a model/photographer theme... READ MORE?
Since I always believe I need to keep learning, I must admit (to my chagrin) that I have been spending too much time trying to get some valuable information on MM. Some of the replies are so full of errors, and some are so juvenile it amazes me.
I find that on many forums however.

At least on GG you can usually get a solid answer with good advice.
Most of the time, unless a person is one of the "elite" on MM, a question is met with flippant answers, and the person is made to feel they are so ignorant they should immediately toss their camera in the trash. Then when you look at some of the image comments, you start to feel that a decent camera and basic knowledge of composition and exposure is totally un-necessary.

View Public Profile Send a private message to BenE Visit BenE's homepage! Find More Posts by BenE

Old 11-03-2009, 09:51 PM   #5 (permalink)
Pro Shooter

Member GG#: 38375

jimmyd is offline IP: 69.226.33.109

Quote:
Originally Posted by womackphoto View Post
I've found most of my models on MM, but, it IS too liberal for me, especially in the forums.
Yu mean politically liberal? Socially liberal? Or too liberal in terms of what people there think make a good photo and/or model? If the latter, I agree. If the first two, not sure what that has to do with photography. (And no, I'm not baiting anyone into a political or social/moral discussion.)

My NSFW blog
: http://prettygirlshooter.blogspot.com
  View Public Profile Send a private message to jimmyd Visit jimmyd's homepage! Find More Posts by jimmyd

Old 11-06-2009, 04:33 PM   #6 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 39216
Send a message via MSN to isaiahbrink Send a message via Yahoo to isaiahbrink

isaiahbrink is offline IP: 69.132.64.65

Quote:
Yu mean politically liberal? Socially liberal? Or too liberal in terms of what people there think make a good photo and/or model? If the latter, I agree. If the first two, not sure what that has to do with photography. (And no, I'm not baiting anyone into a political or social/moral discussion.)
Lol, don't worry Jimmy, one exchange as far as politics/morality/religion is enough for me, I think we left it at we agree to disagree. Anyways, my take on MM is that it is a great social site for models and photographers. I have left my mark in their forums, but don't much anymore, and if I have any serious questions as far as my learning process is concerned, I come here, where the responses are intelligent and helpful, and actually addresses the question instead of the pointless responses I've gotten over on MM. As far as the politics over there, I think it tends to be liberal, but that's just my take on it, and like you, I'm not here to bait anybody on the same subjects. Your views and beliefs are your own, that's great, let's talk some other way than here in the forums about them if you like. But yeah, GG is definitely the place to get intelligent responses to questions on how to grow, at least in my opinion.

Old 11-07-2009, 12:09 PM   #7 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 35218

Doug_Lester is offline IP: 66.32.152.156

Over the years I've spent far too much time on MM, though much less of late. In my own personal view it's not a source for anything real. For me it's simply a place for entertainment. It probably says something about me that I truly enjoy watching people make fools of themselves in public. It seems to me to be becoming more and more like the Jerry Springer Show with people pouring out their innermost secrets and problems on a public forum.

Old 11-07-2009, 01:35 PM   #8 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 62907

mediclimber is offline IP: 68.80.238.28

MM has given me five models but I try and stay clear from the message forums.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to mediclimber Find More Posts by mediclimber

Old 11-13-2009, 05:48 PM   #9 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 59627

womackphoto is offline IP: 70.246.255.90

Quote:
Jimmy, I was booted from MM last year becuase I didn't drink the koolaide... The forums are a place to "tow-the-line".
  View Public Profile Visit womackphoto's homepage! Find More Posts by womackphoto