Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Main Forums > Main Community Forum

Main Community Forum General Modeling & Photography Forum
Adult posts prohibited!>>Please Read Our GUIDELINES before posting!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Magazines Ditch Models for Real Women
Old 10-06-2009, 05:22 PM   #1 (permalink)
Founder Garage Glamour™

Member GG#: 1
Comments: 10
My Mood:
Send a message via AIM to rolandogomez

rolandogomez is offline IP: 72.191.4.182

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Bridgitte, a German magazine, the first of probably many, is ditching "models" for "real women." According to Advertising Age, (here's the link for the whole scoop, http://adage.com/globalnews/article?article_id=139485 ) the magazine, "has banned models from its pages and will instead use only "real" women in its editorial pages, as a protest against society's obsession with stick-thin women."

They will start this in January 2010, remember, most magazines are working on their issues three months out so right now they are working on that issue. They are now taking on-line applications, though many view this as a cost-cutting matter, so I'd suggest, unless you're from Germany, don't apply.

Though you might see this trend happening to U.S. magazines too as everyone cuts costs with this economy. A good example, the last few days Conde Nast publications has cut a few magazines and shifted key personnel around including Details VP-Publisher Steven DeLuca. "Conde Nast Senior VP-Publishing Director William Wackermann, who already oversees Glamour and the bridal category, received oversight of Details today as well."

Looks like there is hope for models that are just starting out, besides, other than Victoria Secrets Angels, most "super models" are long gone. What's your thoughts? Please stay on the topic, please. Thanks, rg sends!
Photographer & Author author of five photography books. My newest book is Socially Smart: Twitter Plus Facebook, Marketing Multipliers And Brand Boosters Click here for My Tweet Workshop Information and the Photo Blog
  View Public Profile Send a private message to rolandogomez Visit rolandogomez's homepage! Find More Posts by rolandogomez

Re: Magazines Ditch Models for Real Women
Old 10-06-2009, 05:24 PM   #2 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 39216
Comments: 2
Send a message via MSN to isaiahbrink Send a message via Yahoo to isaiahbrink

isaiahbrink is offline IP: 69.132.64.65

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

You know, I think that many of us have kind of done this same thing, come across normal everyday women and used them as models, so to speak. I don't know how many went to model professionally or seriously, but I think that here at GG we may have been once again, ahead of the curve.

Old 10-06-2009, 08:04 PM   #3 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 41629
Comments: 0
Send a message via AIM to wsheldon50131 Send a message via Yahoo to wsheldon50131

wsheldon50131 is offline IP: 173.25.254.56

http://money.cnn.com/2009/10/06/news...2009100614#TOP

Playboy has said they will continue to print their signature magazines, good news. Glamour Magazine has stated they will quit operations, which is bad.

Right now is a good time to buy equipment as its not getting more expensive.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to wsheldon50131 Visit wsheldon50131's homepage! Find More Posts by wsheldon50131

Old 10-07-2009, 09:14 AM   #4 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 36974
My Mood:

Photomart is offline IP: 76.186.39.178

What many business forget is ... the images you use in your advertising or on your magazine covers, or in your catalogs, help to create and define your brand. Without an identifiable brand that sets you apart from all your competitors, you're just another product or service.

Victoria's Secret sells underwear, just like Sears, K-Mart, WalMart and all the other retailers ... but Victoria's Secret build their brand around catalogs and fashion shows that featured the best looking "super models" models in the world ... and it allowed them to elevate their brand and turn womens underwear into a billion dollar industry.

What's interesting to me is the "cover terms" they use --- referring their preference for "real women" versus "models." Their definition of a "real women" seems to be someone who isn't thinner, more physically fit or prettier than them. If these women went to high school with me they probably would have sought to ban all "hot girls" from the cheerleading squad. Get real. Models ARE real women!
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Photomart Visit Photomart's homepage! Find More Posts by Photomart

Old 10-07-2009, 10:47 AM   #5 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 63560

nudephotopro is offline IP: 78.156.64.204

I find it curious that everybody is jumping on the band wagon now to attack stick thin models. Now I agree that some models seen on catwalks etc. look remarkably thin but many are simply healthy and slim.

Given the horrendous levels of obesity we see nowadays I am not so sure that replacing slim healthy models with so called "real women" is going to be a real step forward. It sounds more like political correctness gone mad. I suspect this is a really just an excuse to justify a way of trying to save money...
  View Public Profile Send a private message to nudephotopro Visit nudephotopro's homepage! Find More Posts by nudephotopro

Old 10-07-2009, 11:20 AM   #6 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 43029

zytkiewicz is offline IP: 69.130.54.145

The problem I see with this is most "real women" don't know how to pose.

Most of the work I've done is with inexperienced women. And while you can get some wonderful images you have to do a lot more direction.

I worked with a new model a few weeks ago. We shot for an hour and made 100 images. About 20 will be good, maybe 1 or 2 outstanding.
A few months ago I worked with a very experienced model that has been photographed by dozens of photographers. We did twice as many images an hour, about two thirds were good, over 30 were outstanding. One image was even chosen for a local art show.

Models aren't models just because they're thin. It's because they know what they're doing.
MM#84146
http://www.monkeymetal.com
  View Public Profile Send a private message to zytkiewicz Visit zytkiewicz's homepage! Find More Posts by zytkiewicz

Old 10-07-2009, 12:25 PM   #7 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 36789
Comments: 1
My Mood:
Send a message via Yahoo to ARTFORMS

ARTFORMS is offline IP: 24.197.120.168

Quote:
Originally Posted by Photomart View Post
[color=black][font=Verdana]

What's interesting to me is the "cover terms" they use --- referring their preference for "real women" versus "models." Their definition of a "real women" seems to be someone who isn't thinner, more physically fit or prettier than them. If these women went to high school with me they probably would have sought to ban all "hot girls" from the cheerleading squad. Get real. Models ARE real women!
A few weeks ago a photographer on myspace was advertising on a bulletin that he was offering photo shoots to "real women" rather than the size 3 girls often seen as models.
I followed his bulletin offering photo shoots to "real women of all sizes." Not sure why girls or women who keep themselves physically fit or have better diets are seen by some as not being real women but I suspect that over weight women or people in general have a little something to do with this. Whether they be professional and well known or just getting started, Models are real women.

Obesity has been the growing problem in our country, not just because of appearance but because it isn't healthy and it contributes to health insurance rates going up.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to ARTFORMS Visit ARTFORMS's homepage! Find More Posts by ARTFORMS

Old 10-07-2009, 01:37 PM   #8 (permalink)

Member GG#: 51075
Comments: 1
My Mood:
Send a message via Skype™ to PhotoDave1

PhotoDave1 is offline IP: 174.17.243.222

Quote:
Originally Posted by zytkiewicz View Post
The problem I see with this is most "real women" don't know how to pose.

Most of the work I've done is with inexperienced women. And while you can get some wonderful images you have to do a lot more direction.

I worked with a new model a few weeks ago. We shot for an hour and made 100 images. About 20 will be good, maybe 1 or 2 outstanding.
A few months ago I worked with a very experienced model that has been photographed by dozens of photographers. We did twice as many images an hour, about two thirds were good, over 30 were outstanding. One image was even chosen for a local art show.

Models aren't models just because they're thin. It's because they know what they're doing.
This is an excellent point Josh and something I have learned over the years.

One of the largest differences between a so-so or even a good model and a great model is that a great model is always at ease, shows confidence and poise, and knows her body inside and out. When a great model strike a pose she becomes the pose.

I have worked with good models who have drained me because I have had to do all the work in posing and adjusting poses and then I have worked with great models and just didn't want the shoot to end because every shot was a winner.

I think in the final analysis we all have to do the best with what we have in front of us.
deallen313@yahoo.com
Skype IM: DAllen3031
Twitter: ThePhotoPro1
Web Page: www.flickr.com/photos/3031photography/
Gear: Canon EOS 40D w/Grip + EOS 1N w/Grip; Tamron 28-70mm F2.8; Tamron 70-200 F2.8; Canon 430EXll
  View Public Profile Send a private message to PhotoDave1 Visit PhotoDave1's homepage! Find More Posts by PhotoDave1

Old 10-07-2009, 05:53 PM   #9 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 62907

mediclimber is offline IP: 71.224.152.135

"A protest against society's obsession with stick-thin women" sounds like a politically correct way of getting photos for free instead of paying the going model rate.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to mediclimber Find More Posts by mediclimber