Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Main Forums > Main Community Forum

Main Community Forum General Modeling & Photography Forum
Adult posts prohibited!>>Please Read Our GUIDELINES before posting!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Editorial - "Outside, In"
Old 09-05-2009, 07:52 PM   #1 (permalink)
Bawdy Little Monkey

Member GG#: 41173
Comments: 1
Send a message via AIM to SamBeasley Send a message via Yahoo to SamBeasley

SamBeasley is offline IP: 68.223.194.33

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Hey everyone,

Haven't posted in a while. I shot something just yesterday, but this ain't it. :P This is a fashion story shot on spec back in February. We had shopped it around to a bunch of different magazines, and finally found one that said they could use it for their summer issue (a quarterly mag). Awesome. Well, not so awesome. We were told that the summer issue would come out at the end of July (which I think is a little late for a summer issue, but I didn't really care as long as it was published). Well, we wait, and wait past July, and try to contact them about it to get an update, and wait some more, and finally hear just today that they won't be having a summer issue at all, jumping straight to fall. So, no tear sheets for me, the model, the makeup artist, or the stylist. Sucks for us.

Well, now that I know these aren't getting published, I can at least post them. :P Any thoughts are always welcome. I know I'll get a "these are blown out" comment, but honestly that was kinda the idea, a bright sunny day, doing outdoor stuff, which just happens to be inside.

http://sambeasley.tumblr.com
http://www.lalluredesmots.com
  View Public Profile Send a private message to SamBeasley Visit SamBeasley's homepage! Find More Posts by SamBeasley

Re: Editorial - "Outside, In"
Old 09-05-2009, 09:33 PM   #2 (permalink)
Lifetime Amateur

Member GG#: 35246
Comments: 7

jford is offline IP: 71.60.63.140

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

FWIW -
OK, OK, no "slightly blown out" - that's actually good here, IMO - bright, crisp. I don't like the meat and I'm not sure about using both the "popsicle" close-up AND the larger image in the same spread - but I'm no AD, either. I think I'd like the popsicle close-up combined with another perspective of the model's head and shoulders - rather than the same perspective.
I REALLY like the model + barbeque, croquet, dog 'n shoe, pool, and flowers. The first one leaves me a bit confused - just because the lighting obviously isn't real, and she's not dressed for sunning, yet holding the reflector ... my first impression is "cute shot" but then kind of "er, what?"
Overall, really nice work. Keep at it.

When you do something like this, "on spec," do you give the AD 10 frames, with the story as you see it, or do you give them a larger number and let them assemble the story they want?

Thanks for sharing.

Old 09-07-2009, 11:14 PM   #3 (permalink)
Bawdy Little Monkey

Member GG#: 41173
Comments: 1
Send a message via AIM to SamBeasley Send a message via Yahoo to SamBeasley

SamBeasley is offline IP: 68.223.194.33

About the meat and popsicle closeups, we were trying to eke out ten pages to send them if at all possible, and we might've pushed it a little. Without those two we'd only have eight. Still not bad, but to answer your question, we sent them these ten pages worth of images as they're laid out here the way we would've liked to see them laid out if they were to use all of them, but if they wanted to cut some out, or assemble them how they wanted to, of course they could do that too. As for the first one, at the time I was trying to put those killer pants on display, but you're right, not exactly appropriate dress for sunning.

Thanks John, I appreciate the feedback!
http://sambeasley.tumblr.com
http://www.lalluredesmots.com
  View Public Profile Send a private message to SamBeasley Visit SamBeasley's homepage! Find More Posts by SamBeasley

Old 09-08-2009, 07:33 PM   #4 (permalink)
Lifetime Amateur

Member GG#: 35246
Comments: 7

jford is offline IP: 71.60.63.140

"...at the time I was trying to put those killer pants on display"
For sure! Caught my eye, as well.