Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamourô > Garage Glamourô Main Forums > Main Community Forum

Main Community Forum General Modeling & Photography Forum
Adult posts prohibited!>>Please Read Our GUIDELINES before posting!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Why Do You Do This Thing We Do?
Old 07-29-2009, 04:48 PM   #1 (permalink)
Pro Shooter

Member GG#: 38375
Comments: 2

jimmyd is offline IP: 99.166.37.89

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

I was reading a model-flake thread on another forum and it got me to thinking about what drives many of you to do this thing we do, that is, photographing sexy, alluring, pretty girls. (i.e., those of you who don't already make your living from photography, leastwise, pretty girl shooting photography.)

Are you prepping/hoping/building for a professional career as a glamour, tease, beauty, art nude, fashion, or some other type of pretty girl shooter?

Is this a "I'm pursuing my art and it will take me wherever it takes me" kind of thing?

or...

Do you simply want to photograph pretty women as a hobby, passtime, or for entertainment purposes?

I have an opinion on the subject but I don't want to assume anything cuz, well, cuz you know what happens when you assume...

Anyway.

I'm not making judgments. My opinion doesn't have some sort of bias or attitude attached to it. I'm just saying. Actually, I'm just asking.

Here's another BTS shot from the PGS DVD shoot this past Sunday. This one is wider, better illustrating the middle-of-nowhere location we were shooting at.

My NSFW blog
: http://prettygirlshooter.blogspot.com
  View Public Profile Send a private message to jimmyd Visit jimmyd's homepage! Find More Posts by jimmyd

Re: Why Do You Do This Thing We Do?
Old 07-29-2009, 05:50 PM   #2 (permalink)
GWC Extraordinaire

Member GG#: 40697
Comments: 0
Send a message via MSN to The_Glamour_Spot Send a message via Yahoo to The_Glamour_Spot

The_Glamour_Spot is offline IP: 70.139.93.209

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

For me, it serves a couple of purposes...income and a "release"...

I own a trucking company and am still in the mortage banking biz (yeah I know...believe me... I KNOW lol)

I kinda burn the candle at both ends...I get up EVERY freekin day at 4:30 AM....like clockwork...not because of need, its just a creature of habit kinda thing...between the trucking and mortgage work, I'm runnnin pretty ragged....My "release" comes with the photography....when I have a shoot scheduled, its something I look forward to, and for a few hours I can sort of drift away into fantasy land and the hustle and bustle of BobbyGWorld goes away for a while....

My biggest concern about going full time as a sole income source in photography, is losing the love for it....meaning, I don't want to hurt something I enjoy so much if I can't pay the bills....hence why I am still in the mortgage business...as fooked up as it is...its hard to walk away from that income.....

On Tuesday, I have an appointment with one of the biggest commercial advertising agencies in this area...We are going to discuss what I "think" may be a huge opportunity for me on the commercial side of photography...who knows, this may be my segue out of the mortgage biz....

Back to the pretty girls....Its awesome to see the look on their face when you provide the finished product...its awesome to see a model progress into a fine model....much as we have progressed in our craft....Its awesome to read the comments after a shoot and KNOW they are genuinely please with what I have provided them....and on top of all that...I get paid many times to do that... which is simply a bonus...

ooops....almost forgot gratuitous pic....

http://www.bobbygphoto.com
  View Public Profile Send a private message to The_Glamour_Spot Visit The_Glamour_Spot's homepage! Find More Posts by The_Glamour_Spot

Old 07-29-2009, 07:03 PM   #3 (permalink)
Pro Shooter

jimmyd is offline IP: 69.229.36.217

Thanks, Bobby! Very revealing. You're somewhat unique in that, amongst many who shoot this stuff, yu straddle the fence between pro and hobbyist, fantasy and reality.

As yu know, it isn't just about skills. Plenty of hobbyists have mad skills. I've seen work from hobbyists that make guys like you and I look like total second-stringers... if even that good. Yet, those people do this for reasons that have nothing to do with making a career out of it. Not even sure if they think of it as artistic expression. I think it's simply their hobby. Something they do simply to entertain themselves.

Having a beautiful sexy chick, often naked or partially naked, pose and express themselves in ways that you, the photographer, directs them to... well, there's less exciting entertainment activities than being sort of a puppet-master for a few hours with a hot chick. Plus, your fun, entertaining, time is documented in the form of the images! How cool is that? Yu don't even have to rely on memories... the fruit of your fun (hmm.. that sounded gay) is right there, on paper or on your computer screen!

My NSFW blog
  View Public Profile Send a private message to jimmyd Visit jimmyd's homepage! Find More Posts by jimmyd

Old 07-29-2009, 07:27 PM   #4 (permalink)
GWC Extraordinaire

Member GG#: 40697
Send a message via MSN to The_Glamour_Spot Send a message via Yahoo to The_Glamour_Spot

The_Glamour_Spot is offline IP: 70.139.93.209

Very well said....We both know...from a true PRO perspective...MUCH of ones success is about marketing...SELF marketing in this instance...

I know quite a few average photographers that make a good living, but they are good "self marketers" and that gets them by...

I am VERY strong marketing wise...but as of this email...I haven't decided if I want to go "ALL IN" career wise...I KNOW I can do it...I KNOW I can make great money at it...My concern as stated above is I don't want to lose my "release"...if that makes any sense....I can always make a living...Hell I make more in MY photography than some "full time/thats all I do" photographers here in Houston...

I'm hopeful some doors I am opening in the next week or two (photography wise) will enlighten me on whether or not I want to take a more career oriented role with photography...I'll ALWAYS shoot half nekkid chicks hehe....but I am at that point of deciding if I want to REALLY make a commercial run at it as well...we'll see I guess...

http://www.bobbygphoto.com
  View Public Profile Send a private message to The_Glamour_Spot Visit The_Glamour_Spot's homepage! Find More Posts by The_Glamour_Spot
Last edited by The_Glamour_Spot; 08-05-2009 at 01:55 PM..

Old 08-05-2009, 10:39 AM   #5 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 37651

rdavis is offline IP: 69.15.164.92

Great thread, I need to get around here more often.

I do this because it is an art I can do. I wrote a whole blog post about it way back, but here's the short version.

I've always had a creative drive, but never really considered myself "artistic". I program computers for a living and used to think that was creative, but now I'm just board.

But after going to one of Rolando's workshops I came home and told the Mrs, this is an art I can do.

So why pretty girls? To some extent because it is easy. People will tell you your work is awesome if there is a half naked hottie in it. It is also easy to invoke the emotion - something I consider central to art - with a sexy woman.

But it is more than that, or I'd keep shooting the same thing. It is the challenge of creating a story or feeling in a image that gets me going. I could take a picture of a pretty girl without having to fill a pool with milk, or rig a shower in my studio. But those things challenge and inspire me.

Practical Pinup Online Workshop
  View Public Profile Send a private message to rdavis Visit rdavis's homepage! Find More Posts by rdavis

Old 08-05-2009, 01:22 PM   #6 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 61836
My Mood:

AristonPhotog is offline IP: 66.146.52.98

I fall under the category of "dreams to do this full time." I am a photographer/artist first so I struggle with things like self-marketing. I take advantage of ModelMayhem group shoots since that's the only way I can get a chance at shooting pretty girls. I did one solo nude shoot and I paid the model. I just have no clue how to get them to come to me with an interest in getting images taken.

Regardless, I shoot these photos because beauty should be appreciated by all. I don't just take pictures and hide them away. I want to take pictures and share them with my peers and friends and family. Call it narcissism on my part...getting someone to say "hey you did a great job." But I do it for the love of beauty. Now if only I could make money doing it. At this point there's no way I could make the same with photography that I do in technology.

My gratuitous photo:
  View Public Profile Send a private message to AristonPhotog Visit AristonPhotog's homepage! Find More Posts by AristonPhotog

Old 08-05-2009, 04:32 PM   #7 (permalink)
Pro Shooter

jimmyd is offline IP: 99.166.37.89

Quote:
Originally Posted by AristonPhotog View Post
Call it narcissism on my part...getting someone to say "hey you did a great job." But I do it for the love of beauty.
It's not narcissism, Ariston. If it were, it would be images of yourself you'd be falling in love with and posting, not images of others.

So, shout it from the rooftops if that's your thing: "I love beauty and love photographing it!"

I know I do. (But not the shouting part.)

My NSFW blog

Old 08-05-2009, 05:41 PM   #8 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 41629
Send a message via AIM to wsheldon50131 Send a message via Yahoo to wsheldon50131

wsheldon50131 is offline IP: 173.25.254.56

Photography is my release away from my dreary real life. With photography I can create images of an aristocrat to the demons that haunt and taunt. I can make people often feel happy and enjoy the things I shoot or evoke thought.

I love some of the challenges each shoot can present itself. Soon I will be photographing motorcycles and the shiny parts will all present challenges. Some of the images will have pretty girls, some will not.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to wsheldon50131 Visit wsheldon50131's homepage! Find More Posts by wsheldon50131

Old 08-06-2009, 01:58 PM   #9 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 61836
My Mood:

AristonPhotog is offline IP: 66.146.52.98

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyd View Post
It's not narcissism, Ariston. If it were, it would be images of yourself you'd be falling in love with and posting, not images of others.

So, shout it from the rooftops if that's your thing: "I love beauty and love photographing it!"

I know I do. (But not the shouting part.)
Good point...

And come on, you know you shout it to the world when no one is looking.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to AristonPhotog Visit AristonPhotog's homepage! Find More Posts by AristonPhotog

Old 08-06-2009, 02:40 PM   #10 (permalink)
Pro Shooter

jimmyd is offline IP: 69.229.7.244

Quote:
Originally Posted by AristonPhotog View Post
Good point...

And come on, you know you shout it to the world when no one is looking.
Also a good point...

I guess I do, whether they're looking or not.

My NSFW blog