Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  


 
Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Main Forums > Main Community Forum
 

Main Community Forum General Modeling & Photography Forum
Adult posts prohibited!>>Please Read Our GUIDELINES before posting!

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Sick and Tired of Non Published Rates
Old 06-25-2009, 07:48 PM   #1 (permalink)
Free Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Member GG#: 62827
Location: San Antonio
Posts: 10
Comments: 0

Fred Gerhart is offline IP: 69.151.102.220
 
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote

I got a burning desire to see an end to entries in either a model or photographers online profile along the lines of "my rates are industry standard".



Where on earth are "industry standard rates posted"? Google does not know the answer. Neither does Yahoo or MSN. Must be a cryptic code that requires a decoder ring that GWC's like me are not allowed to own. When you go to the store the price of that can of tomatoes is clearly marked on the shelf.


If folks are afraid to post their rates because they think they might price themselves out of a gig then wouldn't a simple sentence like my negotiable rates are blah blah blah get the job done?


BTW models take note .. this GWC will pass every time when such nonsense is used in an attempt to communicate with me. I have passed several by due to the ole "my rates are industry standard" when I queried them for a shoot or them me.

Talk back anyone?
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Fred Gerhart Find More Posts by Fred Gerhart
 
Re: Sick and Tired of Non Published Rates
Old 06-25-2009, 09:51 PM   #2 (permalink)
Moderator

 
PhotoDave1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Member GG#: 51075
Location: Tampa
Posts: 407
Comments: 1
My Mood:
Send a message via Skype™ to PhotoDave1

PhotoDave1 is offline IP: 24.99.255.31
 
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote

Fred,

Believe me when I say that I hear your frustration because I have experienced the same thing. A while ago organizations like ASMP and others were semi-successful at standardizing rates but all that has changed with the Internet and the explosions of GWC's and Digital Debbies who have no clue what value is and I have a feeling it will continue to slide deeper and deeper into the abyss until there is nothing left. Photographers are craftsman just like lawyers, doctors, architects, engineers, etc but the biggest difference is most professional societies except photography require education, credentials, and a license to be a part of it.

Nowadays anyone who can pony up enough money to buy an entry level digital SLR can call themselves a 'photographer' and screw the daylights out of the rest of us and there is very little we can do about it as long as there are photographers who will break ranks in their chase for a dollar. It didn't use to be that way but unfortunately now it is.

My advice to you is don't get mad, get even. Whenever you have some model tell you her rates are 'Industry Standard' tell you will pay her $25.00 for a four hour shoot. She has to do her own hair, wardrobe, and make-up, and she has to sign a full release giving you all rights and her none AND any images she wants she has to buy at full market rates (ie: $200.00 for an 8 x 10, etc). If she gives you any crap tell her that is the standard rate in YOUR industry and she can take it or leave it!

I can guarantee you that will shut em up every time. Good luck and please don't get discouraged.
__________________
3031 Photography
Tampa, FL
GG#: 51075
deallen313@yahoo.com
Skype IM: DAllen3031
Twitter: ThePhotoPro1
Web Page: www.flickr.com/photos/3031photography/
Gear: Canon EOS 40D w/Grip + EOS 1N w/Grip; Tamron 28-70mm F2.8; Tamron 70-200 F2.8; Canon 430EXll
  View Public Profile Send a private message to PhotoDave1 Visit PhotoDave1's homepage! Find More Posts by PhotoDave1
 
Re: Sick and Tired of Non Published Rates
Old 06-26-2009, 06:36 AM   #3 (permalink)
Free Member

 
isaiahbrink's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Member GG#: 39216
Location: Salisbury
Posts: 1,180
Comments: 2
Send a message via MSN to isaiahbrink Send a message via Yahoo to isaiahbrink

isaiahbrink is offline IP: 69.132.64.65
 
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotoDave1 View Post
Fred,

Believe me when I say that I hear your frustration because I have experienced the same thing. A while ago organizations like ASMP and others were semi-successful at standardizing rates but all that has changed with the Internet and the explosions of GWC's and Digital Debbies who have no clue what value is and I have a feeling it will continue to slide deeper and deeper into the abyss until there is nothing left. Photographers are craftsman just like lawyers, doctors, architects, engineers, etc but the biggest difference is most professional societies except photography require education, credentials, and a license to be a part of it.

Nowadays anyone who can pony up enough money to buy an entry level digital SLR can call themselves a 'photographer' and screw the daylights out of the rest of us and there is very little we can do about it as long as there are photographers who will break ranks in their chase for a dollar. It didn't use to be that way but unfortunately now it is.

My advice to you is don't get mad, get even. Whenever you have some model tell you her rates are 'Industry Standard' tell you will pay her $25.00 for a four hour shoot. She has to do her own hair, wardrobe, and make-up, and she has to sign a full release giving you all rights and her none AND any images she wants she has to buy at full market rates (ie: $200.00 for an 8 x 10, etc). If she gives you any crap tell her that is the standard rate in YOUR industry and she can take it or leave it!

I can guarantee you that will shut em up every time. Good luck and please don't get discouraged.
Dave, I couldn't help but laugh when I read your reply. NOT because it is inaccurate, but just the opposite, it is right on the money. Ok, I did find you're used of Digital Debbie's to be humorous. But, we must remember that there are those of us who truly desire to continually improve upon our craft, even if we have reached a high level of success. But isn't $200 a little cheap for an 8x10? I guess it all depends on the market.
__________________
I know that I am one with beauty, And that my comrades are one. Let our souls be mountains, Let our spirtis be stars, Let our hearts be worlds.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to isaiahbrink Find More Posts by isaiahbrink
 
Re: Sick and Tired of Non Published Rates
Old 06-26-2009, 12:21 PM   #4 (permalink)
Pro Shooter

 
jimmyd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Member GG#: 38375
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 4,078
Comments: 2

jimmyd is offline IP: 69.226.36.120
 
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote

You need to ask someone wearing a photo vest what the industry standard rates are.
__________________
I'm not an art critic but I think I know a good picture when I see one.


My NSFW blog
: http://prettygirlshooter.blogspot.com
  View Public Profile Send a private message to jimmyd Visit jimmyd's homepage! Find More Posts by jimmyd
 
Re: Sick and Tired of Non Published Rates
Old 06-26-2009, 02:05 PM   #5 (permalink)
Ed Peters

 
epeters's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Member GG#: 37945
Location: Lafayette
Posts: 300
Comments: 0

epeters is offline IP: 139.181.28.34
 
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyd View Post
You need to ask someone wearing a photo vest what the industry standard rates are.
What a sneaky way to promote your blog!
__________________
Eat safe, use condiments.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to epeters Find More Posts by epeters
 
Re: Sick and Tired of Non Published Rates
Old 06-26-2009, 02:13 PM   #6 (permalink)
Pro Shooter

 
jimmyd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Member GG#: 38375
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 4,078
Comments: 2

jimmyd is offline IP: 69.226.36.120
 
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote

Quote:
Originally Posted by epeters View Post
What a sneaky way to promote your blog!
Your avatar would seem to say you agree with sneakiness as a promotional tool.
__________________
I'm not an art critic but I think I know a good picture when I see one.


My NSFW blog
: http://prettygirlshooter.blogspot.com
  View Public Profile Send a private message to jimmyd Visit jimmyd's homepage! Find More Posts by jimmyd
 
Re: Sick and Tired of Non Published Rates
Old 06-26-2009, 02:45 PM   #7 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

 
DDCStudios's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Member GG#: 56509
Location: Wichita
Posts: 451
Comments: 0
Send a message via Yahoo to DDCStudios

DDCStudios is offline IP: 24.255.140.101
 
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaiahbrink View Post
Dave, I couldn't help but laugh when I read your reply. NOT because it is inaccurate, but just the opposite, it is right on the money. Ok, I did find you're used of Digital Debbie's to be humorous. But, we must remember that there are those of us who truly desire to continually improve upon our craft, even if we have reached a high level of success. But isn't $200 a little cheap for an 8x10? I guess it all depends on the market.
200.00 for an 8x10? lol Im lucky to get 20.00
  View Public Profile Send a private message to DDCStudios Visit DDCStudios's homepage! Find More Posts by DDCStudios
 
Re: Sick and Tired of Non Published Rates
Old 06-26-2009, 05:16 PM   #8 (permalink)
Free Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Member GG#: 55764
Location: West Texas
Posts: 709
Comments: 0
My Mood:

BenE is offline IP: 64.185.5.113
 
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotoDave1 View Post
Fred,

Believe me when I say that I hear your frustration because I have experienced the same thing. A while ago organizations like ASMP and others were semi-successful at standardizing rates but all that has changed with the Internet and the explosions of GWC's and Digital Debbies who have no clue what value is and I have a feeling it will continue to slide deeper and deeper into the abyss until there is nothing left. Photographers are craftsman just like lawyers, doctors, architects, engineers, etc but the biggest difference is most professional societies except photography require education, credentials, and a license to be a part of it.

Nowadays anyone who can pony up enough money to buy an entry level digital SLR can call themselves a 'photographer' and screw the daylights out of the rest of us and there is very little we can do about it as long as there are photographers who will break ranks in their chase for a dollar. It didn't use to be that way but unfortunately now it is.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
In the portrait and wedding world they are called Soccer Moms.

Next item..... There was a time when organizations such as the famous PPA (and their affiliates.. state and regional) had some sort of requirements for membership, but now the PPA , and most affiliates, have one requirement... you must pay a yearly membership fee. No questions asked, no sales tax permit necessary.

The reasoning? If they had any requirements, the membership would fall off. Don't get me wrong, I believe any photographer should have a chance to be a member of those organizations, but at least make sure they are complying with local laws, such as having a DBA, and having any necessary permits required by cities for running a business... and especially a sales tax permit.

How does this relate to the original comment? A soccer mom can easily work out of her home, ( applies to some GWC's) and pay no overhead, no permit fees, no sales tax, and charge $15 for an 8x10. They can charge $300 to $500 for complete coverage of a wedding.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to BenE Visit BenE's homepage! Find More Posts by BenE
 
Re: Sick and Tired of Non Published Rates
Old 06-27-2009, 06:07 AM   #9 (permalink)
Free Member

 
isaiahbrink's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Member GG#: 39216
Location: Salisbury
Posts: 1,180
Comments: 2
Send a message via MSN to isaiahbrink Send a message via Yahoo to isaiahbrink

isaiahbrink is offline IP: 69.132.64.65
 
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDCStudios View Post
200.00 for an 8x10? lol Im lucky to get 20.00
Ok Don, you caught me dreaming! lol
__________________
I know that I am one with beauty, And that my comrades are one. Let our souls be mountains, Let our spirtis be stars, Let our hearts be worlds.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to isaiahbrink Find More Posts by isaiahbrink
 
Re: Sick and Tired of Non Published Rates
Old 06-27-2009, 07:58 AM   #10 (permalink)
Moderator

 
PhotoDave1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Member GG#: 51075
Location: Tampa
Posts: 407
Comments: 1
My Mood:
Send a message via Skype™ to PhotoDave1

PhotoDave1 is offline IP: 24.99.255.31
 
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyd View Post
You need to ask someone wearing a photo vest what the industry standard rates are.
Jimmy, this question has been answered by a member of the 'Cult of the Photo Vest'
__________________
3031 Photography
Tampa, FL
GG#: 51075
deallen313@yahoo.com
Skype IM: DAllen3031
Twitter: ThePhotoPro1
Web Page: www.flickr.com/photos/3031photography/
Gear: Canon EOS 40D w/Grip + EOS 1N w/Grip; Tamron 28-70mm F2.8; Tamron 70-200 F2.8; Canon 430EXll
  View Public Profile Send a private message to PhotoDave1 Visit PhotoDave1's homepage! Find More Posts by PhotoDave1
 
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Sponsors


New To Site? Need Help? Photographer & Model Links
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:01 AM.

© 1999-2017 Garage Glamour™




Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93