Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Main Forums > Main Community Forum

Main Community Forum General Modeling & Photography Forum
Adult posts prohibited!>>Please Read Our GUIDELINES before posting!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Some High-Key Glamour with KalaJo
Old 04-26-2009, 04:12 PM   #1 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 41719
Comments: 0
Send a message via AIM to srwatters Send a message via Yahoo to srwatters

srwatters is offline IP: 71.244.30.242

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

After seeing the recent D&G cosmetics ad campaign with Scarlett Johanson, I photographed the lovely and curvy KalaJo from Dallas. Makeup and hair by Shantel Wadley.

Comments appreciated as always.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to srwatters Visit srwatters's homepage! Find More Posts by srwatters

Re: Some High-Key Glamour with KalaJo
Old 04-27-2009, 05:57 AM   #2 (permalink)
GWC Extraordinaire

Member GG#: 40697
Send a message via MSN to The_Glamour_Spot Send a message via Yahoo to The_Glamour_Spot

The_Glamour_Spot is offline IP: 70.139.90.27

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

I like em Scott....other than the fact she has WAY to many clothes on for my taste ( I keed...I KEED)

That 2nd one displays an issue I think we ALL have when cropping and composing these type of shots. Them DAMN feet and what to do with them LOL. It's funny how sometimes the legs (specifically below the knees) and feet just seem to fall into place and BAM, theres the shot. Other times, I can't seem to find ANY place to put them that doesn't look too posed....I don't chop em off...or it just doesn't work.

Not saying the feet in this one "doesn't work"...and maybe because I shoot so much glamour and this type of pose comes up a bunch I notice it more than the next guy...BUT, my eyes DO go towards the crop at the feet and garners some attention....not a shot killer by any stretch but I think maybe just a bit more of the feet is warranted here....but of course, unless you rotate your crop slightly, you get more negative space ABOVE the models head than you may want...always a quandry huh??

Nicely done though...

http://www.bobbygphoto.com
  View Public Profile Send a private message to The_Glamour_Spot Visit The_Glamour_Spot's homepage! Find More Posts by The_Glamour_Spot

Old 04-27-2009, 02:26 PM   #3 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

srwatters is offline IP: 71.97.7.21

Thanks Bobby!

Yea those pesky feet! I will say that I had less problems shooting this set with the Hasselblad and it's 4x3 native ratio. I'm working on the scans now, but here's a more 'natural' toned image shot on Kodak Portra 160NC and scanned with an Epson V700 @ 28MP.

View Public Profile Send a private message to srwatters Visit srwatters's homepage! Find More Posts by srwatters

Old 04-27-2009, 03:05 PM   #4 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 55764
My Mood:

BenE is offline IP: 64.185.5.112

Quote:
Originally Posted by srwatters View Post
After seeing the recent D&G cosmetics ad campaign with Scarlett Johanson, I photographed the lovely and curvy KalaJo from Dallas. Makeup and hair by Shantel Wadley.

Comments appreciated as always.
Easy to crop and eliminate the feet. Crop vertical just into the heel.. the horizontal crop line would be under the hand, and you can easily clone the little part of the heel out. That is for a 10x8 crop, but if you want a 12x8, just start at the upper left and crop to the left of the heel. That would crop out the hand, but I believe draw more attention to her face.

Just a thought.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to BenE Visit BenE's homepage! Find More Posts by BenE

Old 04-27-2009, 07:40 PM   #5 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 42326

DeanP is offline IP: 24.9.194.66

They all look pretty darned good to me. Cant really comment on the cropping issue as I have my own issues in that field.

Really do like #1

Old 04-29-2009, 08:50 PM   #6 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

srwatters is offline IP: 71.244.30.242

Perhaps this last one might be the best...

Old 04-30-2009, 11:03 AM   #7 (permalink)
Pro Shooter

Member GG#: 38375
Comments: 2

jimmyd is offline IP: 69.229.111.156

Because the focus is so soft by the time you get down to her feet, the composition, IMO, works just fine. Had there been more depth to focus, there would be more attention drawn to the crop.

Other than the processing being very different between your pics and D&G's ads, they might have done something a little different when lighting Johanson altho, I'll admit, I don't know if they did. But yu might notice there's a little more detail in the white sheets and the wardrobe in D&Gs pics. (Not that you didn't do a great job keeping those whites under control.) The photographer might have brought in some black foamcore to reflect black off the sheets and her outfit. That would heighten the contrast a bit and add a little more detail in the whites.

My NSFW blog
: http://prettygirlshooter.blogspot.com
  View Public Profile Send a private message to jimmyd Visit jimmyd's homepage! Find More Posts by jimmyd

Old 04-30-2009, 02:36 PM   #8 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

srwatters is offline IP: 71.97.7.21

Thanks Jimmy!

I'm sure the processing was quite different on the shots done for D&G. I was looking to drive the skin tones more white than the golds in the ad.

I don't use black reflectors nearly enough and should have in this case. Thanks for reminding me it's easier to add some contrast when you shoot rather than rely on Photoshop all the time!

Old 05-02-2009, 10:04 AM
srwatters
This message has been deleted by srwatters. Reason: duplicate...