Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Main Forums > Main Community Forum

Main Community Forum General Modeling & Photography Forum
Adult posts prohibited!>>Please Read Our GUIDELINES before posting!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
A little fashion, a little glam
Old 04-11-2009, 12:37 AM   #1 (permalink)
Bawdy Little Monkey

Member GG#: 41173
Comments: 1
Send a message via AIM to SamBeasley Send a message via Yahoo to SamBeasley

SamBeasley is offline IP: 74.233.196.247

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Hey everybody,

Been busy editing some stuff from a shoot a few days ago. Actually used my digital camera, believe it or not. First, a little fashion...

Next, a little glam. Or at least, this is as close to glam as I've shot in a while (she also happened to be the makeup artist that day)...

And of course, me being me, I had to snap a pola or two...

http://sambeasley.tumblr.com
http://www.lalluredesmots.com
  View Public Profile Send a private message to SamBeasley Visit SamBeasley's homepage! Find More Posts by SamBeasley

Re: A little fashion, a little glam
Old 04-11-2009, 03:38 AM   #2 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 37850
My Mood:
Send a message via MSN to JonScott Send a message via Yahoo to JonScott

JonScott is offline IP: 206.212.226.175

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

I hate you.

<---- still jealous of your educational opportunity

.:Why isn't "I like kitties" an acceptable career goal?:.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to JonScott Visit JonScott's homepage! Find More Posts by JonScott

Old 04-11-2009, 01:54 PM   #3 (permalink)
Lifetime Amateur

Member GG#: 35246
Comments: 7

jford is offline IP: 144.80.192.130

Hey, speaking of Polaroids, I just read (in Chemical and Engineering News) that a group of scientist-types are gearing up to produce a replacement instant film for Dr. Land's cameras. As I recall, it's estimated to be a while yet before it comes to the market.

Particularly like the second image. Love the "no eyes" on that.

Old 04-11-2009, 10:39 PM   #4 (permalink)
Bawdy Little Monkey

SamBeasley is offline IP: 74.233.196.118

Jon -- Haha I'm gonna take that as a big compliment. Thanks.

John -- Is that what you're talking about? http://www.the-impossible-project.com/ And thanks, glad you like.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to SamBeasley Visit SamBeasley's homepage! Find More Posts by SamBeasley

Old 04-11-2009, 11:47 PM   #5 (permalink)
Free Member

My Mood:

Yup, compliment indeed.

Of course there's a "but sandwich" of a couple things that don't work for me (or maybe confuzzle my backwater definition of "fashion"): Bearing in mind that my understanding of fashion is to feature/sell the clothes, I don't see enough highlight/detail in the jeans and in the hat. In the hat shot, I, like John, enjoy the "hidden eyes" approach, but the hat looks like a dark blob on top of her head. Other than that issue, I like the first two images a lotta lot.

My fave by far is the third image. It's her face.

That face.

That expression.

Jesus.

I don't even need to see the rest of that image; when I scrolled down I got to the bottom of her neck, froze in my tracks and declared HOLY ****. She absolutely frakkin' NAILED that face. I don't even care about the rest of it.

No, really.

View Public Profile Send a private message to JonScott Visit JonScott's homepage! Find More Posts by JonScott

Old 04-12-2009, 01:53 AM   #6 (permalink)
Bawdy Little Monkey

SamBeasley is offline IP: 74.233.196.118

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonScott View Post
My fave by far is the third image. It's her face.

That face.

That expression.

Jesus.

I don't even need to see the rest of that image; when I scrolled down I got to the bottom of her neck, froze in my tracks and declared HOLY ****. She absolutely frakkin' NAILED that face. I don't even care about the rest of it.

No, really.
I'm guessing you like that one, huh? Haha seriously, thanks man, glad you like!

As for the fashion set, well, my definition of fashion (in particular editorial fashion) has changed over the years. When I first started, it was "girl in a black dress" (thank goodness that's changed). Later, as I started to look through a bunch (bunch bunch bunch) of fashion magazines -- particularly the off-the-beaten-path ones, the non-Elles and non-Vogues (exempting Italian Vogue which I love ) -- what I was noticing was that with quite a few of these, the clothes seemed almost secondary, in a way. Like they were used to create a fantasy ("If I buy the clothes she's wearing I'll look like the model in these photos/feel the way I feel when I look at these pictures/etc., etc.") -- and that, in turn, sells the clothes.

Sooooo, anyways, how I define fashion photography these days (that's editorial fashion) is "photography that creates a fantasy that the clothes help create, which in turn sells the clothes". If that makes any sense at all.

Now -- and geez I'm long-winded for me tonight -- I wasn't shooting an editorial per se when I shot these. We were just messin' around. But, if I came up with a theme that fit this style, I could see myself shooting an editorial story similar to this.

Now having said all that, all I can think to say is thanks, glad you like the shots.
Last edited by SamBeasley; 04-12-2009 at 02:29 AM..

Old 04-12-2009, 09:22 AM   #7 (permalink)
Lifetime Amateur

Member GG#: 35246
Comments: 7

jford is offline IP: 144.80.192.130

I don't recall the name, but the Impossible Project site sure fits the description I read.

Old 04-12-2009, 04:55 PM   #8 (permalink)
Free Member

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamBeasley View Post

Sooooo, anyways, how I define fashion photography these days (that's editorial fashion) is "photography that creates a fantasy that the clothes help create, which in turn sells the clothes". If that makes any sense at all.
I can totally get on board with that.

Old 04-12-2009, 07:47 PM   #9 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 37608
Comments: 0

Mark_Oehler is offline IP: 173.22.219.19

Yes it is the Impossible Project.

I'm so looking forward to it getting off the ground and maybe bringing back SX-70 or similar.

http://www.the-impossible-project.com/

Mark
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Mark_Oehler Visit Mark_Oehler's homepage! Find More Posts by Mark_Oehler