Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamourô > Garage Glamourô Main Forums > Main Community Forum

Main Community Forum General Modeling & Photography Forum
Adult posts prohibited!>>Please Read Our GUIDELINES before posting!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Anyone been to one of RG's workshops?
Old 03-19-2009, 12:59 PM   #1 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 60433
Comments: 0

Lumpy53 is offline IP: 71.62.211.190

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

First off I am a amateur photographer. I have a Canon Xti, Kit lens, 50mm lens, 430EX flash and I am still learning to use them. I also have a low budget studio set up with a background and a couple of lights. I like to take a lot of glamor and nudes of my wife. I want to learn more to improve my pictures. I would like to get my shots good enough to make a little extra money as a side job, but mostly because I enjoy it. I have 2 of Rolando's books Garage Glamour and Posing Techniques for Glamour Photography and have learned a lot from them.
My question is for any one that has been to one of Rolando's work shops. Would it do me any good or would I just be in way over my head?
I wanted to take one since last year when I got my camera and Rolando's books. Now he has a workshop that is near enough for me to drive to!
Rolando please feel free to answer this your self if you want.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Lumpy53 Find More Posts by Lumpy53

Re: Anyone been to one of RG's workshops?
Old 03-19-2009, 02:30 PM   #2 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 58875
Comments: 7

Hdvannjr is offline IP: 72.185.7.101

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Dear Friend,
You have to start somewhere. I was in your shoes about a year and a half ago. What I have found out along the way is that none of these guys are going to spoon feed you. Learning good Glamour photography is a puzzle. Somethings you have to figure out on your own, some stuff you can learn by reading, and some stuff you just have to learn by asking alot of questions. I attended one of Rolando's workshops about a year ago. You learn only by asking questions. Rolando is very approachable. You can also learn alot from the other photographers at the workshop as well. There are beginners and pros at these workshops. I would attend as many workshops as your wife will allow. Check out Kelbytraining.com. Check out Howtoshootmodels.com. Get on the horse, post some photos, get some feed back. When the guys knock you off your horse, get up, regroup, shoot some more photos and post again. Good Luck.
David
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Hdvannjr Visit Hdvannjr's homepage! Find More Posts by Hdvannjr

Old 03-19-2009, 03:05 PM   #3 (permalink)
Founder Garage Glamourô

Member GG#: 1
Comments: 10
My Mood:
Send a message via AIM to rolandogomez

rolandogomez is offline IP: 72.191.15.133

First, thanks David for your response. Second, workshops are interesting, as the variety of photographers that attend come with various cameras, various experiences levels, and various thoughts on how the workshop needs to meet their needs.

I donít know of any workshop or any one book that can give you everything you need. In fact, one of the best photography schools in the world is Brooks Institute of Photography in Santa Barbara, and they spend three years training their photographers. It would take volumes of books and many, many workshops to replace what they teach in three years.

In addition, there is no substitute for experience, so practice photography all the time, when you can, regardless if youíre photographing a bell pepper (think of Edward Weston, bell pepper #30) http://www.edward-weston.com/edward_..._natural_1.htm or a model. Practice, practice, practice is just sound advice. Read all the books you can, but also, donít try and be like any photographer, just be yourself and apply what you like from other photographers and workshops to your style. Style develops over time, not overnight.

Now, on my workshops, I never treat anyone like a student, as weíre all students of photography until the day we die. Those that come to my workshops are treated like attendees, Iím just the mayor of the event. I start out with lecture, usually about two hours long, and I tailor that lecture based on putting out fundamentals and concepts that apply to the type of photography weíll be conducting after the lecture.

I do my best to keep lighting simple at first, as to be a great photographer you must understand light first and to understand light, you must learn to master one-light before you can add another light source into the scene. I teach many concepts, including physics laws that apply to photography and light, including the ďangle of incidence is equal to the angle of reflectionĒ and the ďInverse Square LawĒ and how it applies to the type of photography weíll be conducting and how you can use it for any photographic experience.

I do my best to be there with you during shooting, obviously when we have four sets going on at the same time, I cannot be at each set the same time, this is where my experienced attendees, many often regulars to my workshop, will assist you, though you can always find me and come to me and Iíll be happy to help you.

If you attend with an open mind, filled with passion for photography, I will passionately spread the gospel of photography and do my best to make you comfortable with what youíre trying to accomplish at the workshop and with your photography. I come with over 30-years experience as a published photographer with a photojournalism background and apply what Iíve experienced, whether it be photographing the Rwanda Refugee Crisis in Africa, the Fall of the Berlin Wall, Desert Storm, shooting for the NBA for four years, the Evan Williams Liquor advertisement with Playboy Playmate Monica Leigh in the current Sports Illustrated Swimwear, Playboy and Maxim, shooting a Playmate test or for Playboy Special Editions, shooting a cover for the Rangefinder photography magazine, etc., etc., along with my four-year degree in communication, I give you credentials something no other glamour workshop promoter can even come close to.

I provide legit model releases for you and the model. I go over the legalities of model releases as well as location releases and much, much more. While every workshop has its quirks, we strive to deliver so you can have some return on your investment. My philosophy is simple, if you can walk away from my workshop with at least one thing you can apply to your photography to help you, overtime it will pay off.

Iíve had attendees that have gone on to get their work published, including Playboy, Maxim and many other publications. While I canít guarantee everyone will get published, I can guarantee youíll make friends, network and gain something of value for your time and effort. Itís like a degree, itís a piece of paper and it only becomes valuable if you put it to work, you canít expect it to come to you.

Hopefully that helps, feel free to ask any questions at any time. If you email me at Rolando(at))rolandogomez.com with your phone number, Iíll be happy to call you an answer your questions as my fingers get tired between emails, PMís, working on new books, articles, blogs, etc. I hope that helps, all the best and thanks for being a part of the GG family and community, rg sends!
(featured in the current Sports Illustrated Swimwear edition, Playboy Playmate Monica Leigh)
Photographer & Author author of five photography books. My newest book is Socially Smart: Twitter Plus Facebook, Marketing Multipliers And Brand Boosters Click here for My Tweet Workshop Information and the Photo Blog
  View Public Profile Send a private message to rolandogomez Visit rolandogomez's homepage! Find More Posts by rolandogomez

Old 03-19-2009, 05:07 PM   #4 (permalink)
Pro Shooter

Member GG#: 38375
Comments: 2

jimmyd is offline IP: 69.229.37.241

Here's a self-serving plug, not that you ever see any of these here... but you could also read my blog. While I sometimes just write about my so-called career, more often than not I'm writing about glamour photography. And it's free! And you can read it from the comfort of your home. You don't even have to beg, I mean ask if it's okay with the significant other.

http://prettygirlshooter.blogspot.com

My NSFW blog
: http://prettygirlshooter.blogspot.com
  View Public Profile Send a private message to jimmyd Visit jimmyd's homepage! Find More Posts by jimmyd

Old 03-19-2009, 06:43 PM   #5 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 50012

Hawk is offline IP: 99.228.109.121

I felt just like and I signed up for the event next week in Philadelphia and can't wait, and I'm sure I'll be back for more
Dave
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Hawk Find More Posts by Hawk

Old 03-19-2009, 07:06 PM   #6 (permalink)
Founder Garage Glamourô

My Mood:

Thanks, looking forward in meeting you there. Philadelphia is sold-out for the Saturday and Sunday workshop, but we have room for the Editorial Nude workshop on Friday for those that missed out. Email me at rolando(at)rolandogomez.com if anyone wants the waiting list for the Sat/Sun workshop or wants to come on Friday. Thanks, rg sends!
Photographer & Author author of five photography books. My newest book is Socially Smart: Twitter Plus Facebook, Marketing Multipliers And Brand Boosters Click here for My Tweet Workshop Information and the Photo Blog
  View Public Profile Send a private message to rolandogomez Visit rolandogomez's homepage! Find More Posts by rolandogomez

Old 03-19-2009, 08:15 PM   #7 (permalink)
Free Member

I really want to go, but like most people money is tight right now. I'm planning on going to the Rockville MD. workshop, but I probably won't have the money for it for another 2 weeks. Rolando if possible could you e-mail me and let me know how many seats are left? Thanks.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Lumpy53 Find More Posts by Lumpy53

Old 03-19-2009, 08:40 PM   #8 (permalink)
Founder Garage Glamourô

My Mood:

Send me an email rolando(at)rolandogomez.com with your number and best time to call. Thanks, rg sends

Old 03-19-2009, 09:32 PM   #9 (permalink)
Free Member

Email sent. Looking forward to talking to you.

Old 03-19-2009, 09:47 PM   #10 (permalink)
Founder Garage Glamourô

My Mood:

Call you this weekend as requested, thanks, rg sends!