Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Main Forums > Main Community Forum

Main Community Forum General Modeling & Photography Forum
Adult posts prohibited!>>Please Read Our GUIDELINES before posting!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Shot some Polaroids the other day
Old 02-24-2009, 01:55 AM   #1 (permalink)
Bawdy Little Monkey

Member GG#: 41173
Comments: 1
Send a message via AIM to SamBeasley Send a message via Yahoo to SamBeasley

SamBeasley is offline IP: 74.233.196.253

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Hey everybody,

I know this isn't everybody's cup of tea, but I figured what the heck, why not post 'em anyway. Shot some Polaroids of a girl who came by the other day. I shot some film of her too, just waiting for that to get back from the lab.

Polaroids are fun. The really wide format ones are from the Fuji Instax camera. Color and sharpness are both great on that thing. The format's almost too wide for my taste for most applications I think, but still fun to play with.
http://sambeasley.tumblr.com
http://www.lalluredesmots.com
  View Public Profile Send a private message to SamBeasley Visit SamBeasley's homepage! Find More Posts by SamBeasley

Re: Shot some Polaroids the other day
Old 02-24-2009, 10:53 AM   #2 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 35649
Comments: 0

tat236 is offline IP: 74.192.116.102

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Looks like it was fun, love the Angelina Jolie look in the last one.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to tat236 Visit tat236's homepage! Find More Posts by tat236

Old 02-24-2009, 04:15 PM   #3 (permalink)
Lifetime Amateur

Member GG#: 35246
Comments: 7

jford is offline IP: 144.80.192.130

All IMO -
I like the composition of the first.
The second has a really marvelous spontaneous quality about it - partially the awkward crop, partially the unselfconciousness of pose itself. Nice - maybe my favorite ot the set.
Third doesn't work for me - the crop at the top and of her knee just make it seem too professionally posed - lacks the wonder of the second, somehow. What do I know? Go figure.
Four - nice. Casually fashionable.
Five - a bit conventionally unconventional fashion. Sam on a lazy day, if I may.
Six - er, say what? Don't go getting all symbolic and metaphorical on us, Sam.
FWIW - as always.
Thanks for sharing.

Old 02-24-2009, 05:19 PM   #4 (permalink)
Bawdy Little Monkey

SamBeasley is offline IP: 74.233.196.195

Hey John, thanks for the reply! All your comments are appreciated and understood.

Oh and don't worry, I don't think I could every get symbolic and metaphorical. I just don't have the brain capacity for it, lol. I have discovered though that I like using props when I'm shooting the Polas like this. It seems to me that the more conventional approaches, in this case, as you've noted, just don't seem to work as well as the unconventional -- and sometimes downright bizarre. At least for me, anyway. I guess that relates to the idea of spontaneity, as you've also noted, which the Polaroid itself invokes.

As for Mr. Hackman, well, we just happened to have that laying around here for some reason (don't ask ), and figured "why not?" Another "why not?" moment -- I shot her holding a blender. Just a blender. I have no idea why, but for some reason I kinda like it, lol. Now I'm seriously considering, after every model I shoot, to shoot some Polas of them holding some object from my apartment. Kind of an ongoing project of sorts. I dunno, could be fun.

Thanks again John.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to SamBeasley Visit SamBeasley's homepage! Find More Posts by SamBeasley

Old 02-24-2009, 05:23 PM   #5 (permalink)
Bawdy Little Monkey

SamBeasley is offline IP: 74.233.196.195

Quote:
Originally Posted by tat236 View Post
Looks like it was fun, love the Angelina Jolie look in the last one.
Yeah, these are always fun. And I never noticed her looking like Angelina before, but I can kinda see what you're saying...

Old 02-25-2009, 08:29 AM   #6 (permalink)
Lifetime Amateur

Member GG#: 35246

jford is offline IP: 144.80.192.130

"Another "why not?" moment -- I shot her holding a blender. Just a blender. I have no idea why, but for some reason I kinda like it, lol. Now I'm seriously considering, after every model I shoot, to shoot some Polas of them holding some object from my apartment. Kind of an ongoing project of sorts. I dunno, could be fun"

That could be a good project - there's a local-ish guy who, for a long time, shot each model over the period of several years in the same (slinky little metallic silver) dress. Once, he threw a bunch of the images up - quite interesting, I thought. I think Skip Willis did something like that a few years ago as well. And there's a GG regular who used the same chair in numerous images - and someone had a wonderful wooden wall in his former studio - you know who I'm talking about, but I'm having an Altzheimer moment right now. (BobbyG?)

Old 02-26-2009, 11:32 PM   #7 (permalink)
Bawdy Little Monkey

SamBeasley is offline IP: 74.233.196.34

Quote:
Originally Posted by jford View Post
That could be a good project - there's a local-ish guy who, for a long time, shot each model over the period of several years in the same (slinky little metallic silver) dress. Once, he threw a bunch of the images up - quite interesting, I thought. I think Skip Willis did something like that a few years ago as well. And there's a GG regular who used the same chair in numerous images - and someone had a wonderful wooden wall in his former studio - you know who I'm talking about, but I'm having an Altzheimer moment right now. (BobbyG?)
Yep, I do believe that would be Mr. G. And yeah, I think this could make for an interesting group of pictures once I've got a good amount shot. This also reminds me of another photographer in one of my books somewhere (I forget the name) who shot a series of close-ups of people's hips (the left hip, if I remember correctly), arm hanging by their side. Same angle and composition each time. Kinda interesting series. So yeah, I look forward to seeing how my little project turns out as I go.

Old 03-06-2009, 12:19 AM   #8 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 35783
My Mood:

stevenD is offline IP: 173.51.115.168

Was there an awkward moment when pulled out the Polaroid camera?

Old 03-06-2009, 06:52 AM   #9 (permalink)
Bawdy Little Monkey

SamBeasley is offline IP: 74.233.6.195

LOL believe it or not no. I've gotten the most activity in my ModelMayhem account that I've ever gotten recently, and it's all been of people wanting me to shoot Polaroids of them.

Old 03-07-2009, 03:40 AM   #10 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 54172
Comments: 5
My Mood:

cifcap is offline IP: 84.59.167.195

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamBeasley View Post
LOL believe it or not no. I've gotten the most activity in my ModelMayhem account that I've ever gotten recently, and it's all been of people wanting me to shoot Polaroids of them.
I was considering getting my hands on one of those Fuji cameras. It looks like a toy on their website, but how do you like it so far?

Olympus: E-300/14-45/40-150/35/FL-50/EX-25/HLD-3/ME-1/RM-CB1

Sigma: 70-200
  View Public Profile Send a private message to cifcap Visit cifcap's homepage! Find More Posts by cifcap