Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Main Forums > Main Community Forum

Main Community Forum General Modeling & Photography Forum
Adult posts prohibited!>>Please Read Our GUIDELINES before posting!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
The State of Professional Photographers
Old 02-21-2009, 05:53 PM   #1 (permalink)
Founder Garage Glamour™

Member GG#: 1
Comments: 10
My Mood:
Send a message via AIM to rolandogomez

rolandogomez is offline IP: 72.191.15.133

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Here's a link to my latest blog entry, The State of Professional Photographers. Please, if you have comments, please make your comments there. Thanks, rg sends!
Photographer & Author author of five photography books. My newest book is Socially Smart: Twitter Plus Facebook, Marketing Multipliers And Brand Boosters Click here for My Tweet Workshop Information and the Photo Blog
  View Public Profile Send a private message to rolandogomez Visit rolandogomez's homepage! Find More Posts by rolandogomez

Re: The State of Professional Photographers
Old 02-22-2009, 01:09 AM   #2 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 35783
Comments: 7
My Mood:

stevenD is offline IP: 173.51.117.64

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Lemme guess, the State is California...

Old 02-23-2009, 10:18 AM   #3 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 55764
Comments: 0
My Mood:

BenE is offline IP: 64.185.5.95

Some eye opening comments.

While the main topic you covered was commercial, advertising and editorial, it should be obvious the same situation has occurred in other areas of photography, such as studio portraits, and especially wedding photography.

Your comment of. "Some executives even enjoy the ability to prove they can save thousands of dollars for their company by doing it themselves for free....", applies equally as well when it concerns weddings. The thinking of many couples is, why should they pay $2,000 and up for photography, when they can get a friend who has a "good" digital camera to do it for $500 or less, sometimes even free.

There are other subtle factors involved, but for now I believe we can all understand that very few of the ideas photographers embraced as little as a year ago are always workable today. Photography is taking a long slide downhill, and no one knows where the bottom of the hill is.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to BenE Visit BenE's homepage! Find More Posts by BenE

Old 02-23-2009, 12:13 PM   #4 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 36974
My Mood:

Photomart is offline IP: 76.186.39.178

Back in the "old days" before many of the photographers on this board were born (circa 1980s), I worked for several advertising agencies. When we wanted to mock up a print ad for the client, or to send to a publication, we used to type up what we wanted the ad to say (on a typewriter) ... "spec the type" (meaning we would decide what typeface, point size, etc) ... and we would send the information to a "Type House" or "Typography Service Bureau" and they would send us back paragraphs of text that we would slice up and mount on boards to create our ad. The entire process took days and cost a considerable amount, which we charged to our clients.

Over the span of 10 years (or less for some), desktop publishing computer software enabled anyone with a computer, the softtware and a small amount of talent to do everything in-house. Initially, the professional typographers fought back -- saying that "doing it inhouse was inferior to hiring a professional" ... when that didn't work, they said that "type houses offered more variety of fonts, cleaner type, etc. etc" ... but in the end, most changed their services (to printing or other similar services) or simply closed shop ... driven out of business by technological advances that put everything within reach of the general consumer ... and an overall drop in the "quality expectation factor" (consumers placed a higher value on the accomplishment of doing it themselves, and saving some money than they did on getting higher quality typesetting).

My prediction: In a relatively short time, perhaps the next few years, the slowing of the economy, couple with advances in digital imagery (both in digital cameras and graphics editing programs like PS) will enable most consumers (and some businesses) to shoot and edit their own images that meet or exceed their lowered quality expectation standards. Any professional photographer who offers his or her potential clients only that which the clients believe they could do themselves ... will find it tough going.

Technology will always level the playing field.
The common misconception that a professional photographer can be measured by the number of magapixels in their camera will evaporate when camera manufacturers lower the cost of high quality cameras, and everyone can access all the magapixels they need ot can can afford. Photographers who list their high end equipment as a selling point will be replaced by photographers with a unique style or talent that separates them in ways that the client finds of value.

Talent will always rise to the top.

If all this sounds a bit like the old, old, old day (from what I read) ... you're right. Back in the days of film and manual cameras, photographers were artists. Clients chose to work with certain photographers because of the quality and style of theiir work ... not the size of their camera.

So ... quit your bitchen 'cause this train ain't stopping!

If you want to live out the rest of your life making a living as a photographer, focus on developing your artistic talents (both behind the camera and in front of the computer). Stop the "camera envy" and the endless spending on more megapixels and start looking at your work as an artist ... focusing on developing a creative style that makes your work stand out from the others. Look around you at all the photographers who do what you do and rise to the top of the heap!

Best of luck,

(guess I need to change my sighnature to remove the equipment list)
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Photomart Visit Photomart's homepage! Find More Posts by Photomart

Old 02-23-2009, 12:41 PM   #5 (permalink)
Founder Garage Glamour™

Member GG#: 1
Comments: 10
My Mood:
Send a message via AIM to rolandogomez

rolandogomez is offline IP: 72.191.15.133

Ben & Marty,

Excellent responses. Would love for you to put this on the comment section of the blog for those that don't visit GG. Thanks for sharing your perspectives. Marty, you brought some old "cut, wax & paste" memories from the old days of layouts and newsprint. Remember those machines that they typed in and the type came out in rolls and it was laid out on press (blue-line) sheets? All the best, thanks, rg sends!
Photographer & Author author of five photography books. My newest book is Socially Smart: Twitter Plus Facebook, Marketing Multipliers And Brand Boosters Click here for My Tweet Workshop Information and the Photo Blog
  View Public Profile Send a private message to rolandogomez Visit rolandogomez's homepage! Find More Posts by rolandogomez

Old 02-23-2009, 05:41 PM   #6 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 55042
My Mood:

RobArtLyn is offline IP: 141.156.229.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolandogomez View Post
Marty, you brought some old "cut, wax & paste" memories from the old days of layouts and newsprint. Remember those machines that they typed in and the type came out in rolls and it was laid out on press (blue-line) sheets?
Yes, thanks for the unexpected trip down memory lane. I spent a lot of time with the typesetters and doing paste-up of several books that I co-authored from about '79 to '82. Today, when I think of "camera ready artwork", it's a model with finished makeup. How times change.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to RobArtLyn Find More Posts by RobArtLyn

Old 02-23-2009, 09:48 PM   #7 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 50753

jrsamples is offline IP: 96.60.80.79

Oh, to look back on my CompuGraphic days.... kind of funny this came up when it did. I just found a huge chunk of type in a box of crap I was going through. LOL! Hate to say it, but it went out in the trash just like the machines did... These things were still going in 1988-90 and I was just starting to ride the microcomputer wave. Remember the Mac Classic? Imagine doing type on that screen. I'm fairly certain that any loss in my eyesight occurred during that time...
  View Public Profile Send a private message to jrsamples Find More Posts by jrsamples