Photo Tips Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Main Forums > Main Community Forum

Main Community Forum General Modeling & Photography Forum
Adult posts prohibited!>>Please Read Our GUIDELINES before posting!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Re: Feedback please - possible marketing material??
Old 02-18-2009, 02:36 PM   #11 (permalink)
Pro Shooter

Member GG#: 38375
Comments: 2

jimmyd is offline IP: 69.237.45.211

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Why not? You're just shooting in a less-seen style for bridal photography. Brides who want this style will come to you. (Build it and they will come.) If they want traditional pics, they'll go elsewhere.

I saw a comment on these pics (here or maybe elsewhere... don't remember) where the commenter said something about them being on the dark-side. Okay. So what? Carve out your own niche for bridal shots. Look what happened with those "trash the dress" folks? They sparked a whole new genre in bridal photography and it did wonders for their own business.

If i were shooting this stuff I'd definitely be doing it in my style which would also definitely be on the glam side with more than a touch of sexiness. (Sex is, after all, a BIG component of marriage... at least for a while.) Why try to be all things to all people? Besides being impossible and insane to attempt, all that does is make you compromise even more than the work already forces you to do.

My NSFW blog
: http://prettygirlshooter.blogspot.com
  View Public Profile Send a private message to jimmyd Visit jimmyd's homepage! Find More Posts by jimmyd

Old 02-18-2009, 03:47 PM   #12 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 55764
Comments: 0
My Mood:

BenE is offline IP: 64.185.5.95

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyd View Post
. Look what happened with those "trash the dress" folks? They sparked a whole new genre in bridal photography and it did wonders for their own business.
But they do not make a living with this sort of photography. Most of the guys who promote this are making money from photographers that pay to learn how to trash the dress.

Very few brides will take a dress they paid hundreds or thousands of dollars for and have it damaged for a portrait.

Not trying to get off topic, but those are very limited areas of opportunity.
What Bobby has shown are very sellable portraits, and a couple of "edgy" (I guess that is what they would be called), at least non traditional, but still sellable.

Most bridal portrait sales will be, hopefully, one wall portrait, and a few gift sizes.. maybe 8x10 or 5x7. The wall portrait is for mom and dad, the gifts are for close relatives. The real far out "trash the dress" type is not something mom will consider for a wall portrait, and definitely not for giving to relatives.

My bridal portrait sales almost always are for one wall portrait, and I hope a 16x20 or 20x24 is what I can sell. Of course 11x14 is still going to be in the price range of some of my customers.

I suppose a person could market a digital album of non traditional, trash the dress images, I am not sure, and I never heard of anyone doing it.
I wonder.. anyone able to comment on the success of that style? Heck, I am up for anything that makes money.

To me a bridal portrait is hard work. I do not want to spend a couple of hours making $300 for all my hard work to sell a CD.. and when you take bride's on an excursion to find trashy places, you spend more than two hours.

Anyway, just my thoughts about spending time behind the camera and making money from brides, because unless I am starving I hope to never shoot another wedding.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to BenE Visit BenE's homepage! Find More Posts by BenE

Old 02-18-2009, 03:58 PM   #13 (permalink)
Pro Shooter

Member GG#: 38375

jimmyd is offline IP: 69.237.45.211

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenE View Post
But they do not make a living with this sort of photography. Most of the guys who promote this are making money from photographers that pay to learn how to trash the dress.
But pretty sure they started out that way. As I remember, they do a lot of exotic destination weddings as well. Sign me up for that kinda work!

V
Quote:
ery few brides will take a dress they paid hundreds or thousands of dollars for and have it damaged for a portrait.
That's what thrift stores are for. Often, they don't trash *their* gowns, they use substitutes. I've bought (only used once) wedding gowns at the Goodwill for $20 - $30, used 'em for a shoot and that was that.

Quote:
...unless I am starving I hope to never shoot another wedding.
Agreed!

Oh wait! Damn! Lately, I am starving!

My NSFW blog
: http://prettygirlshooter.blogspot.com
  View Public Profile Send a private message to jimmyd Visit jimmyd's homepage! Find More Posts by jimmyd

Old 02-18-2009, 04:14 PM   #14 (permalink)
Free Member

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyd View Post
That's what thrift stores are for. Often, they don't trash *their* gowns, they use substitutes. I've bought (only used once) wedding gowns at the Goodwill for $20 - $30, used 'em for a shoot and that was that.
Ok.. but mum still won't spring for big bucks for her precious dalrin' daughter in someone elses bridal gown... at leas not way down south.. I am telling ya.. Them gowns is sacred. A girl only wears one and wears it once.. well one at a time.. anyway. LOL

I did have one bride pay me to photograph all 3 of her weddings, a new gown for each.

Seriously. In the south, at least in my part of Texas, a gown is more important than most anything else, and that is what wedding and bridal photograpy is about to a certain extent. You better not photograph a wedding without getting sevral full length shots of the bride.. same goes for bridal portrait.

Ahh.. my favorite "quote" from mommy.. "I really like the 3/4 poses, but you can't see all the dress. I like the full length, but her face is hard to see."

No problem.. just look at how much better you can see her lovely face in a 20x24 portrait of the full length.

$$$$$
  View Public Profile Send a private message to BenE Visit BenE's homepage! Find More Posts by BenE

Old 02-20-2009, 04:36 PM   #15 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 52386

Arkie is offline IP: 75.120.158.165

I shot weddings for years with the RB 67 Pro S cameras because I wanted the quality to be there. I have done over 700 weddings over the years. I went to seminars put on by Dean Collins, Monte Zucker, Clay Blackmore, and Denis Reggie among many others. I learned from all of them, but got the most from Denis Reggie about working with the groups and organization. If you don't keep them waiting on you, you will get a lot more referals. Make friends with the bride and her parents and let them know beforehand that the more time you have to take photos, the better they will be. Don't waste their time, but don't let them rush you to where you can't do your job and then have them complain about how you didn't shoot all they thought you would.
As for whether the groom should be in the pictures, this is traditionally a bride only shoot before the wedding. Some photographers arrange for the couple to get together after the wedding for a wall portrait of the couple in exotic locales if they have the money to burn. Show all of the dress...and all angles. Different mothers have different tastes and some will even prefer the three-quarter or close-up. Especially for the paper.
I always tell people: "My advice is free, and worth every penny". Rick from Arkansas
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Arkie Find More Posts by Arkie

Old 02-21-2009, 10:39 AM   #16 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 39216
Send a message via MSN to isaiahbrink Send a message via Yahoo to isaiahbrink

isaiahbrink is offline IP: 69.132.65.24

Well, I'm with you, I love the warm tint to the images, I do the same thing, but there is a good point in the fact about the white dress (in this case, off-white) but then again, a white dress used to symoblize purity even if it may have been a slight stretch, but I do believe that these days, it's a bit more of a stretch, with the divorce rate being so high, and now it is pretty common that people are married multiple times, but yet, still wear a white dress. It seems that it's more of a tradtion than anything sybolic. Either way, back to the original point. With my own personal experiences, I'd have to recommend shying away from doing weddings, but it is up to you, and you may want to give it a go. Weddings have always been the cash cow in photography. We as photographers have always loved doing glamour and have made some good money at it, but let's face it, there's a lot more money in weddings, it may be in trasition right now for the previously mentioned reasons, but there's still a lot of money to be made shooting weddings. Bobby, even though I've had bad experiences shooting weddings, if the wedding boom may be dying, why not throw a bit more class and style out there? Give it a try on your terms and see what happens.

Old 02-21-2009, 02:36 PM   #17 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 35230
Comments: 1
Send a message via AIM to glennusdin Send a message via Yahoo to glennusdin

glennusdin is offline IP: 74.92.121.113

i think it would be a good marketing tool for you Bobby if you offered to shoot wedding night portraits of the new couple.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to glennusdin Visit glennusdin's homepage! Find More Posts by glennusdin

Old 02-22-2009, 10:47 AM   #18 (permalink)
Free Member

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaiahbrink View Post
Either way, back to the original point. With my own personal experiences, I'd have to recommend shying away from doing weddings, but it is up to you, and you may want to give it a go. Weddings have always been the cash cow in photography. We as photographers have always loved doing glamour and have made some good money at it, but let's face it, there's a lot more money in weddings, it may be in trasition right now for the previously mentioned reasons, but there's still a lot of money to be made shooting weddings. Bobby, even though I've had bad experiences shooting weddings, if the wedding boom may be dying, why not throw a bit more class and style out there? Give it a try on your terms and see what happens.

I believe Bobby was not talking about shooting an actual wedding. That was my first impression also, but after re-reading his post I am sure he is referring to bridal portraits.

Quote:
Originally Posted by glennusdin View Post
i think it would be a good marketing tool for you Bobby if you offered to shoot wedding night portraits of the new couple.
The problem with a photographer trying to shoot anything else on the day/evening/night of the wedding would be lack of time. Unless you are the photographer shooting the wedding, you wouldn't have enough time, and besides most photographers who are hired to shoot weddings have a specific clause in their contract that no other photographers will be allowed to shoot. That is most established photographers have that clause, and especially in the larger cities.

Once again, I may be wrong, but I believe Bobby is talking about bridal portraits.. only. And in my opinion, that is the better choice. I can make more money (compared to time spent) photographing one bridal portrait than shooting the entire wedding.
Last edited by BenE; 02-23-2009 at 09:59 AM.. Reason: :) Spelling corrections

Old 02-22-2009, 04:44 PM   #19 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 37850
Comments: 1
My Mood:
Send a message via MSN to JonScott Send a message via Yahoo to JonScott

JonScott is offline IP: 206.212.226.175

Ben you need to get your mind a little further in the gutter.

.:Why isn't "I like kitties" an acceptable career goal?:.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to JonScott Visit JonScott's homepage! Find More Posts by JonScott

Old 02-22-2009, 09:51 PM   #20 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 55449

scottdoyle is offline IP: 218.215.25.248

with an on topic answer. bobby i think they look fine for a wedding portfolio number 3 is my fav for sure...
  View Public Profile Send a private message to scottdoyle Visit scottdoyle's homepage! Find More Posts by scottdoyle