Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Main Forums > Main Community Forum

Main Community Forum General Modeling & Photography Forum
Adult posts prohibited!>>Please Read Our GUIDELINES before posting!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Advice for a newbie
Old 02-04-2009, 04:53 PM   #1 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 62364
Comments: 1

wgoode is offline IP: 69.59.68.19

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

I figured I could get some good advice from you guys so here it is. My lovely 25 year old wife is interested in modeling. I am still new to the photography world. My interest are in glamour / nude photography (of my hottie wife). I am realistic enough to know I am not capable of capturing the kind of professional shots I see on this site and others. My question is....I have looked on Model Mayhem and other similar sites looking for qualified photographers in the area. I would imagine some would shoot her for free if they could use her shots in their portfolio but we aren't crazy about the thoughts of her being plastered all over the internet in lingerie or less. So what should I expect to pay as a fair rate?
  View Public Profile Send a private message to wgoode Visit wgoode's homepage! Find More Posts by wgoode

Re: Advice for a newbie
Old 02-05-2009, 08:12 AM   #2 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 39216
Comments: 2
Send a message via MSN to isaiahbrink Send a message via Yahoo to isaiahbrink

isaiahbrink is offline IP: 69.132.65.24

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Well, I'm sure that there are at least a few photographers in your area that would do a TFP/CD that would not plaster the images of your wife all over the internet, to me, that is just part of being a reputable photographer, and if in doubt, ask the photographer what they would do with the images. If you like, even go as far as using a release form stating how the images may be used, you may have some luck with that, if you are worried to that extint. Overall, I know it is a concern of many new models starting out, as well as their significant others, when doing lingerie or glamour modeling, and a lot of the time, that's all it is, just a concern, because like I said, if you find a good, reputable photographer, there won't be any worries with regards to the images being used in a poor manner.

Old 02-05-2009, 01:00 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member GG#: 51075
My Mood:
Send a message via Skype™ to PhotoDave1

PhotoDave1 is offline IP: 74.224.18.13

In my opinion Model Mayhem is the absolute wrong place to be looking. For the most part that site is full of photographers who only want to get a girl to take her clothes off and then heavens knows where the images will wind up and you certainly don't want that for your wife.

That plus the fact that the new owners of Model Mayhem, Internet Brands is taking a very heavy handed approach towards the photographers and models who use that site and they have just introduced language into their Terms of Service (ToS) that basically tells photographers that once they post an image to Model Mayhem and and for as long as it is on the Model Mayhem servers Internet Brands can use it anywhere else that they please.

This is a flagrant violation of more laws that I can think of but it is very typical of the type of heavy handed, break their knees, tactics that Internet Brands is famous for. Even their own legal department can't seem to get this sorted out.

I would suggest that you ask around at local studios and find a couple of photographers who do bedroom, lingerie, and nude photography and talk with them and spell out just what you are looking for and your concerns and I think you will be able to find a photographer that can provide you with what you are looking for. Good luck.
deallen313@yahoo.com
Skype IM: DAllen3031
Twitter: ThePhotoPro1
Web Page: www.flickr.com/photos/3031photography/
Gear: Canon EOS 40D w/Grip + EOS 1N w/Grip; Tamron 28-70mm F2.8; Tamron 70-200 F2.8; Canon 430EXll
  View Public Profile Send a private message to PhotoDave1 Visit PhotoDave1's homepage! Find More Posts by PhotoDave1

Old 02-05-2009, 01:34 PM   #4 (permalink)
Founder Garage Glamour™

Member GG#: 1
Comments: 10
My Mood:
Send a message via AIM to rolandogomez

rolandogomez is offline IP: 72.191.15.133

Interesting, when was MM sold? Where did you here this? I'm not crazy about if you post images there they have the right to use them...tell me more, thanks, rg sends!
Photographer & Author author of five photography books. My newest book is Socially Smart: Twitter Plus Facebook, Marketing Multipliers And Brand Boosters Click here for My Tweet Workshop Information and the Photo Blog
  View Public Profile Send a private message to rolandogomez Visit rolandogomez's homepage! Find More Posts by rolandogomez

Old 02-05-2009, 02:00 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member GG#: 51075
My Mood:
Send a message via Skype™ to PhotoDave1

PhotoDave1 is offline IP: 74.224.18.13

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolandogomez View Post
Interesting, when was MM sold? Where did you here this? I'm not crazy about if you post images there they have the right to use them...tell me more, thanks, rg sends!
First off, I do apologize for hijacking this thread but my response is sort of on topic so I hope it can be forgiven.

Rolando, MM was sold 8 or so months ago to a company called Internet Brands and they came in and made a lot of noise about how they were going to make big improvements at MM and take it more mainstream and nothing has happened except they did put in new servers. MM themselves put a post up on their site that dates back to June or July of last year announcing the sale.

There is constant bickering and infighting there in the open member Forums and even the Moderators who are supposedly running and keeping order at MM get into it daily. Many of the Moderators have quit and removed their Profiles from MM as have many photographers who do not want their names and reputations soiled by association with MM.

A lot of the so-called changes have been posted in the Site Related Forum and many of them have not been popular which is an indication at least to me that Internet Brands hasn't got a clue as to what they are doing.

The latest change regarding the photo usage was posted last week by somebody from Internet Brands called "Miquel" and it has been a free for all ever since. By the time the post was 12 hours old it had 10 pages of mostly angry responses and no response at all from Internet Brands as to how they plan to resolve the discrepancies.

It seems to be an ongoing sage for MM but basically I think the handwriting is on the wall for that site.
deallen313@yahoo.com
Skype IM: DAllen3031
Twitter: ThePhotoPro1
Web Page: www.flickr.com/photos/3031photography/
Gear: Canon EOS 40D w/Grip + EOS 1N w/Grip; Tamron 28-70mm F2.8; Tamron 70-200 F2.8; Canon 430EXll
  View Public Profile Send a private message to PhotoDave1 Visit PhotoDave1's homepage! Find More Posts by PhotoDave1

Old 02-05-2009, 02:06 PM   #6 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 54172
Comments: 5
My Mood:

cifcap is offline IP: 88.68.235.8

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotoDave1 View Post
First off, I do apologize for hijacking this thread but my response is sort of on topic so I hope it can be forgiven.

Rolando, MM was sold 8 or so months ago to a company called Internet Brands and they came in and made a lot of noise about how they were going to make big improvements at MM and take it more mainstream and nothing has happened except they did put in new servers.

There is constant bickering and infighting there in the open member Forums and even the Moderators who are supposedly running and keeping order at MM get into it daily. Many of the Moderators have quit and removed their Profiles from MM as have many photographers who do not want their names and reputations soiled by association with MM.

A lot of the so-called changes have been posted in the Site Related Forum and many of them have not been popular which is an indication at least to me that Internet Brands hasn't got a clue as to what they are doing.

The latest change regarding the photo usage was posted last week by somebody from Internet Brands called "Miquel" and it has been a free for all ever since. By the time the post was 12 hours old it had 10 pages of mostly angry responses and no response at all from Internet Brands as to how they plan to resolve the discrepancies.

It seems to be an ongoing sage for MM but basically I think the handwriting is on the wall for that site.
Dave,

I'm still working on a profile approval from them and I've read about the changes you mentioned. Maybe I'll steer clear of them...I don't like the idea of them doing what they choose with my photos. Thanks for this information.

Olympus: E-300/14-45/40-150/35/FL-50/EX-25/HLD-3/ME-1/RM-CB1

Sigma: 70-200
  View Public Profile Send a private message to cifcap Visit cifcap's homepage! Find More Posts by cifcap

Old 02-05-2009, 03:04 PM   #7 (permalink)
Founder Garage Glamour™

Member GG#: 1
Comments: 10
My Mood:
Send a message via AIM to rolandogomez

rolandogomez is offline IP: 72.191.15.133

Thanks for the response. While I use MM more for marketing than anything, though I never did for years, what I find interesting is that there are many outdated profiles where people have come and dropped off their ports and rarely come back. I must say, this is a problem on all sites including this one, OMP, etc. Nothing new, though here on GG a while back we purged about 12,000 members all the way back to our early days of 1999 when we started.

I'd recommend ModelOverDrive.com even though it's new, and yes I have some involvement, it's growing and great sites take time to grow. I cannot get on MM and tell everyone to go to MOD, but others can. I think MM is more of a great directory, though I can't stand their forums as you have no way of knowing where your posts are unless you search for them. You get no notification if someone posts on your thread, etc., similar to Myspace.com.

Just out of curiosity, is Tyler still involved? Oh well, thanks for letting me know, I'll have to go read the TOS as I'm not giving up my rights to any website without my approval and compensation. Thanks, rg sends!
Photographer & Author author of five photography books. My newest book is Socially Smart: Twitter Plus Facebook, Marketing Multipliers And Brand Boosters Click here for My Tweet Workshop Information and the Photo Blog
  View Public Profile Send a private message to rolandogomez Visit rolandogomez's homepage! Find More Posts by rolandogomez

Old 02-06-2009, 04:42 PM   #8 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 62364

wgoode is offline IP: 69.59.68.19

I'll check out modeloverdrive. Any thoughts on onemodelplace? And one other question, since I'm new and don't know much. What is the difference between going to the hardware store and buying a couple of clamp lights to use for lighting as opposed to spending several hundred dollars on "pro lighting" like I see on all these websites?
  View Public Profile Send a private message to wgoode Visit wgoode's homepage! Find More Posts by wgoode

Old 02-06-2009, 07:51 PM   #9 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 35664
My Mood:

mfharper is offline IP: 63.121.234.222

There are many differences, light output, degree of control, Color temperature, just to name a few. But they are a great way to learn lighting. and if I were you I would start with just one. The nice thing about this type of light is it is continuous as apposed to a small strobe. With the continuous light source you can see what affect small changes in position is having on your subject. So get one and start taking some images and post them here for comments. You'll be surprised how fast you can learn.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wgoode View Post
I'll check out modeloverdrive. Any thoughts on onemodelplace? And one other question, since I'm new and don't know much. What is the difference between going to the hardware store and buying a couple of clamp lights to use for lighting as opposed to spending several hundred dollars on "pro lighting" like I see on all these websites?

www.hhphoto.net
  View Public Profile Send a private message to mfharper Visit mfharper's homepage! Find More Posts by mfharper

Old 02-06-2009, 07:58 PM   #10 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 56509
Comments: 0
Send a message via Yahoo to DDCStudios

DDCStudios is offline IP: 24.255.140.101

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolandogomez View Post
Thanks for the response. While I use MM more for marketing than anything, though I never did for years, what I find interesting is that there are many outdated profiles where people have come and dropped off their ports and rarely come back. I must say, this is a problem on all sites including this one, OMP, etc. Nothing new, though here on GG a while back we purged about 12,000 members all the way back to our early days of 1999 when we started.

I'd recommend ModelOverDrive.com even though it's new, and yes I have some involvement, it's growing and great sites take time to grow. I cannot get on MM and tell everyone to go to MOD, but others can. I think MM is more of a great directory, though I can't stand their forums as you have no way of knowing where your posts are unless you search for them. You get no notification if someone posts on your thread, etc., similar to Myspace.com.

Just out of curiosity, is Tyler still involved? Oh well, thanks for letting me know, I'll have to go read the TOS as I'm not giving up my rights to any website without my approval and compensation. Thanks, rg sends!

Fights? Bickering? Oh hell no! not on MM!!! want to watch a fight? just watch after Rolando makes post there! All the bitchy folks come out of the wood work!!
what? are you some kind of Schleprock???
  View Public Profile Send a private message to DDCStudios Visit DDCStudios's homepage! Find More Posts by DDCStudios