Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Main Forums > Main Community Forum

Main Community Forum General Modeling & Photography Forum
Adult posts prohibited!>>Please Read Our GUIDELINES before posting!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Is free and 50% off too much to charge?
Old 02-03-2009, 12:26 PM   #1 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 55764
Comments: 0
My Mood:

BenE is offline IP: 64.185.5.95

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

First.....Some information to hopefully answer any questions that might come up.
I am not referring to lingerie, glamour or nudes.
I am not talking about getting models for TFCD.
I am making this offer to mothers of high school kids I have photographed. Just in case there is a question of my "reputation", I do a lot of high school kids and children.
.................................................. ...
With that said...... here is the problem/question.

I recently offered some ladies (as mentioned above), a free portrait session, and 50% off any portraits. Not one has accepted the offer.
I made this offer to customers who purchased large orders of their kids, so I know they are pleased with my work.

So far the economy out here is not as bad as some other places, but I am just trying to stay ahead of it, and create a few additional sessions during February through April.

Is a free session and 50% off still to high priced?

Could they be thinking if it is free is isn't worth anything?

Thanks.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to BenE Visit BenE's homepage! Find More Posts by BenE

Re: Is free and 50% off too much to charge?
Old 02-03-2009, 01:22 PM   #2 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 52576
My Mood:

TheGoldy is offline IP: 24.171.158.36

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

How long has it been since the last time you photographed their kids? Many (if not most) parents only need/want pictures about once a year (ala school pictures). Anything more than that is in the "luxury" category. And even if the economy isn't as bad there as other places, it's still not good. Luxuries like extra professional pictures of the kids are one of the first things to cut back on. It's probably got nothing at all to do with either their satisfaction level, your prices, or the fact it's free.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to TheGoldy Find More Posts by TheGoldy

Old 02-03-2009, 02:21 PM   #3 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 55764
My Mood:

BenE is offline IP: 64.185.5.95

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGoldy View Post
How long has it been since the last time you photographed their kids? Many (if not most) parents only need/want pictures about once a year (ala school pictures). Anything more than that is in the "luxury" category. And even if the economy isn't as bad there as other places, it's still not good. Luxuries like extra professional pictures of the kids are one of the first things to cut back on. It's probably got nothing at all to do with either their satisfaction level, your prices, or the fact it's free.
From 6 months to a year.

I can see your point, but since this was a completely diffrent type of session, I thought it was worth trying.

I supose I was hoping the (marketing) concept that repeat customers are easier and more cost effective to market to than going after new customers was a good idea.

Thanks
  View Public Profile Send a private message to BenE Visit BenE's homepage! Find More Posts by BenE

Old 02-03-2009, 03:37 PM   #4 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 56509
Send a message via Yahoo to DDCStudios

DDCStudios is offline IP: 24.255.140.101

Quote:
I do a lot of high school kids and children.
.................................................. ...
With that said...... here is the problem/question.

Wow taken out of context it takes on a whole new meaning!

View Public Profile Send a private message to DDCStudios Visit DDCStudios's homepage! Find More Posts by DDCStudios

Old 02-03-2009, 05:35 PM   #5 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 37850
Comments: 1
My Mood:
Send a message via MSN to JonScott Send a message via Yahoo to JonScott

JonScott is offline IP: 206.212.226.175

Your marketing concept is sound, assuming several things.

I think you're just late. If I were going to offer something like that I'd offer it as an expiring coupon included with the deliverables from the last order, or within a week of order fulfillment.

Appearances are everything. People don't always remember how much they've spent with who.

.:Why isn't "I like kitties" an acceptable career goal?:.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to JonScott Visit JonScott's homepage! Find More Posts by JonScott

Old 02-03-2009, 06:24 PM   #6 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 61767

monkeykoder is offline IP: 75.48.25.26

Most people don't want pictures of themselves.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to monkeykoder Find More Posts by monkeykoder

Old 02-03-2009, 06:58 PM   #7 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 56509
Send a message via Yahoo to DDCStudios

DDCStudios is offline IP: 24.255.140.101

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeykoder View Post
Most people don't want pictures of themselves.
You mean they keep the picture that came with the frame??
  View Public Profile Send a private message to DDCStudios Visit DDCStudios's homepage! Find More Posts by DDCStudios

Old 02-03-2009, 09:44 PM   #8 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 41629
Send a message via AIM to wsheldon50131 Send a message via Yahoo to wsheldon50131

wsheldon50131 is offline IP: 12.216.85.240

One of the reasons for the expiring coupon is to create a sense of urgency to act now or lose the discounted option. Sending a coupon with an expiration date to good customers is a good way to keep them thinking of you. Everyone wants to feel as though they are receiving a benefit.

Encourage good behavior. Create your coupons to act now and book xyz at minimum and you receive abc. Also I would not be marketing your minimum package deal and to encourage people to buy more from you. Even if they are receiving a great deal.

Lastly on your invoice show that they are receiving a discount at time of purchase and that the price that they would have ordinarily have paid. I would do the same thing with a vendor that you do business with that requests something for free, and then show that they received this at zero cost and thank you for your business cooperation. That way they do not look at you only for something free, and only for something free in the future. Examples of this are when you buy groceries, often the coupon discount is printed on the receipt, you should do the same. This encourages people to see that there is a cost to the free item in the future.

No matter what you should make money, you are worth it, bill and charge for it.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to wsheldon50131 Visit wsheldon50131's homepage! Find More Posts by wsheldon50131

Old 02-03-2009, 10:31 PM   #9 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 61767

monkeykoder is offline IP: 75.48.25.26

They want pictures of friends and family some few do want pictures of themselves but it is rare. When was the last time you hung up a picture of yourself without a significant other in it.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to monkeykoder Find More Posts by monkeykoder

Old 02-04-2009, 01:24 AM   #10 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 37850
My Mood:
Send a message via MSN to JonScott Send a message via Yahoo to JonScott

JonScott is offline IP: 206.212.226.175

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeykoder View Post
When was the last time you hung up a picture of yourself without a significant other in it.
Two hours ago.

But I'm just like my customers - a narcissistic bastard.

.:Why isn't "I like kitties" an acceptable career goal?:.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to JonScott Visit JonScott's homepage! Find More Posts by JonScott