Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Main Forums > Main Community Forum

Main Community Forum General Modeling & Photography Forum
Adult posts prohibited!>>Please Read Our GUIDELINES before posting!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Local Presentations/ Workshops
Old 02-01-2009, 08:05 PM   #1 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 41629
Comments: 0
Send a message via AIM to wsheldon50131 Send a message via Yahoo to wsheldon50131

wsheldon50131 is offline IP: 12.216.85.240

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Anyone ever go to the local presentations and leave the workshop thinking the speaker is full of @#*%? One studio that presented has 2 photographers and 5 photoshop wizards and they were presenting how they do business.

I would rather kick butt in lighting and present clean photography to a client. I guess to each their own right.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to wsheldon50131 Visit wsheldon50131's homepage! Find More Posts by wsheldon50131

Re: Local Presentations/ Workshops
Old 02-02-2009, 09:08 AM   #2 (permalink)
Founder Garage Glamour™

Member GG#: 1
Comments: 10
My Mood:
Send a message via AIM to rolandogomez

rolandogomez is offline IP: 72.191.15.133

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

I'm not sure which workshop you went to, but always check what they advertise first and don't assume just because they advertise "X" amount of guest speakers they will all teach studio lighting. I find it hard to believe if this workshop/seminar you went to they advertised lighting techniques then delivered photoshop wizards on how to conduct business. There seems to be some miscommunications between what you expected and what they delivered and without the facts from either side, it's tough to evaluate your scenario.

Sometimes, as I've been to many seminars over the years, seminars adjust to the types of questions being asked by the audience but ultimately still deliver what is advertised in the synopsis. When I conduct workshops that offer "Glamour, Beauty and the Nude" we always conduct a lecture before we get started on the advertised content and in every workshop we try to include similar lecture items but they can deviate based on the questions asked by the audience. It's impossible to teach everything in two days much less one day.

Brooks Institute of photography spends years teaching their student photographers, photography. No instructor or group of instructors can teach three years of photography in one day, much less one weekend. Just my thoughts as I'm not sure of all that was involved in your situation. Regardless, the best way to judge the value of any workshop or seminar is did I at least learn one thing that I can use the rest of my photographic career because ultimately that is your return on investment of your time and money while attending the mentioned event. I wish you the best and hopefully you at least learned one thing while attending this workshop for some type of return. rg sends!
Photographer & Author author of five photography books. My newest book is Socially Smart: Twitter Plus Facebook, Marketing Multipliers And Brand Boosters Click here for My Tweet Workshop Information and the Photo Blog
  View Public Profile Send a private message to rolandogomez Visit rolandogomez's homepage! Find More Posts by rolandogomez

Old 02-03-2009, 01:59 AM   #3 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 41629
Send a message via AIM to wsheldon50131 Send a message via Yahoo to wsheldon50131

wsheldon50131 is offline IP: 12.216.85.240

1. I need to be fun but professional with clients.
2. I need to create buzz about the services I can do. But do so on a budget. Studies are showing that the todays market is not utilizing the traditional mailer method and myspace and blogs are sometimes the way to create a good buzz. Get the in person of a crowd and you are in like flynn as they all talk about you.
3. I believe Steven Raichlen said " Know your fire" as it pertains to grilling, I need to make sure I know my lighting. Speaking of which I am hitting the buy button next week on my very first set of strobes.

These are 3 things that I learned from the seminars that I can take home with me. I think I went to 11 presentations total over 4 days. Those that had the cleaner looks had the higher end clients and they stated what their clients were. That kind of tells me something, have cleaner looks and I too will eventually get the higher end clients. Maybe my cause and effect relationship might be clouded but I might see something as I see keeping up with cutting edge technology being too difficult. Each presenter had their niche calling card of what made them special or stand out. I do not see myself becoming a leader of the pack and beating people on photoshop. Or it could be that I cannot keep up with these photoshop wizards and their tutorial.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to wsheldon50131 Visit wsheldon50131's homepage! Find More Posts by wsheldon50131

Old 02-03-2009, 11:58 AM   #4 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 55764
My Mood:

BenE is offline IP: 64.185.5.95

Quote:
Originally Posted by wsheldon50131 View Post
1. ...............

2. I need to create buzz about the services I can do. But do so on a budget. Studies are showing that the todays market is not utilizing the traditional mailer method and myspace and blogs are sometimes the way to create a good buzz. Get the in person of a crowd and you are in like flynn as they all talk about you.
A blog might be effective, but in my opinion most of them get so bogged down in personal and trivial comments they do not come across as professional. I wonder if most "higher end" clients really like to spend time reading about someone's weekend at the lake or how much fun they (photographer and family) had at the waterpark.

If it is in keeping with the business aspects of the studio, it might be ok.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wsheldon50131 View Post
I think I went to 11 presentations total over 4 days. Those that had the cleaner looks had the higher end clients and they stated what their clients were.
Wow! I can't even find 11 within the same year.. Anyway, what do you mean by "cleaner"? Can I assume you mean print finishing... such as retouching?

Since I do not know any of the speakers, I cannot address anything about their "high end" clients, but in my experience and in my part of Texas, the high end clients are more than willing to buy at least one large portrait.. or sometimes they even will decide to go up to an 8x10..... that is, if they can find enough wall space in their 3,500 sq ft. homes.

My best customers are the everyday, hard working type who probably never will see the inside of a country club.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to BenE Visit BenE's homepage! Find More Posts by BenE