Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Main Forums > Main Community Forum

Main Community Forum General Modeling & Photography Forum
Adult posts prohibited!>>Please Read Our GUIDELINES before posting!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Thank goodness for image counters
Old 01-25-2009, 10:52 AM   #1 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 55764
Comments: 0
My Mood:

BenE is offline IP: 64.185.5.95

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

My digital camera konked out at the end of mty last portrait session on Friday. I am too far away from any dealer to get a replacement by Saturday, when I had a bridal session scheduled, so I went over to Best Buy.

They had one 50D, and I bought it. Well, the bridal session had to reschedule, so I took acouple of test shots, and wouldn't you know it... the counter showed my first shot was #4368 abd the second was #4369.

That darned camera had been fired over 4 thousand times!

I am getting geared up for a hassel when I return it. Next time, I am gonna make a test shot before I take the camera out and see what the counter says.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to BenE Visit BenE's homepage! Find More Posts by BenE

Re: Thank goodness for image counters
Old 01-25-2009, 05:11 PM   #2 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 58665

cpd23 is offline IP: 75.91.137.168

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Ben

Thank you for the lesson. I am about to buy a new camera and I am sure going to check it.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to cpd23 Visit cpd23's homepage! Find More Posts by cpd23

Old 01-25-2009, 06:30 PM   #3 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 54250

CodeRaven is offline IP: 24.73.120.14

Ben, how was the numbering option set in the 50D? According to the manual, if it is set to "Continuous", the file numbering sequence will continue even after the card is replaced or a new folder is created.

On my 30D, whichever is highest is the new starting point. If I have shot 486 pictures, that number is stored in the camera. If I put in a new card with no pictures or a lower numbered file, the next shot will be 487, however if I put in a card with a higher numbered file, it will add 1 to that for the next shot - example I have an image with the number 820, the next file will be 821...
  View Public Profile Send a private message to CodeRaven Find More Posts by CodeRaven

Old 01-25-2009, 10:29 PM   #4 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 57135
My Mood:

JUSTA_NEWBIE is offline IP: 24.91.82.192

The best way to find out how many shots a camera has taken is by viewing the exif data right off one of the photos, that has been untouched by any photo software. I E : a jpg straight out of the camera.
do not open and save the photo in photoshop or any other software, and the exif data will display how many actual "Total Shutter Releases" have been done up to that photo.
I use exif pro v1.0 software to find out this info, it works great. You just have to do some searching in all the info displayed, as it is a lengthy amount of info. But very enlightening.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to JUSTA_NEWBIE Find More Posts by JUSTA_NEWBIE

Old 01-26-2009, 10:25 AM   #5 (permalink)
Free Member

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CodeRaven View Post
Ben, how was the numbering option set in the 50D? According to the manual, if it is set to "Continuous", the file numbering sequence will continue even after the card is replaced or a new folder is created.

On my 30D, whichever is highest is the new starting point. If I have shot 486 pictures, that number is stored in the camera. If I put in a new card with no pictures or a lower numbered file, the next shot will be 487, however if I put in a card with a higher numbered file, it will add 1 to that for the next shot - example I have an image with the number 820, the next file will be 821...
It was set to continuous. You are correct about the numbering sequence of cards. It makes no difference what card is placed in the camera, the number is stored in the camera. I tried several different cards, and it numbered them in order.

I have about 8 different cards, and during my busy season I might use one and lay it aside, then use another for the next session.

Later I have taken the "partially" used card and placed it back in the camera, and it would pick up with the larger number.

Example:
Card 1 would start at 2020 and go to 2080.
Card 2 would be placed in the camera and the numbers would start at 2081, and after a session might end at 3012.

Card 1 would be replaced in the camera and the numbers would start at 3013.

I have looked at a card, when downloading, and noticed the numbers would be:
2020 to 2080, and then on the same card 3013 to 3050.

Anyway, I returned the camera with no problems and they agreed it MIGHT have been used, and that starting numbers on cameras do not always start at zero, the hgh number on this camera seemed high.
No problems with Best Buy.. they weere very udnerstanding and apologized for my trouble.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JUSTA_NEWBIE View Post
The best way to find out how many shots a camera has taken is by viewing the exif data right off one of the photos, that has been untouched by any photo software. I E : a jpg straight out of the camera.
do not open and save the photo in photoshop or any other software, and the exif data will display how many actual "Total Shutter Releases" have been done up to that photo.
I use exif pro v1.0 software to find out this info, it works great. You just have to do some searching in all the info displayed, as it is a lengthy amount of info. But very enlightening.

I tried that. All I could see was "Frame Count" which was "1" on both of the shots I made.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to BenE Visit BenE's homepage! Find More Posts by BenE

Old 01-28-2009, 01:10 AM   #6 (permalink)
Free Member

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenE View Post
I tried that. All I could see was "Frame Count" which was "1" on both of the shots I made.
on my exif data,for nikon d50 and d70 , under the TAG tab, .00a7 is my total shutter releases.
For my minolta though, it has none.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to JUSTA_NEWBIE Find More Posts by JUSTA_NEWBIE

Old 01-28-2009, 09:44 AM   #7 (permalink)
Free Member

My Mood:

Quote:
on my exif data,for nikon d50 and d70 , under the TAG tab, .00a7 is my total shutter releases.
For my minolta though, it has none.
?? .00a7 equals what?
...edit...
I don't understand what the number indicates. Is it 7 shots?
The exif data on the test shots I made with the 50D has no indiction.
--------------------------
I sure envy those of you who are in areas with several camera dealers. Ther is one here. This morning I happened to see him and he mentioned the 50D, but it is about $400 or more higher than at most stores in the larger cities.
Last edited by BenE; 01-28-2009 at 10:00 AM.. Reason: Clarify question

Old 01-28-2009, 10:21 AM   #8 (permalink)
Free Member

My Mood:

Quote:
?? .00a7 equals what?
...edit...
I don't understand what the number indicates. Is it 7 shots?
The exif data on the test shots I made with the 50D has no indiction.
--------------------------
I sure envy those of you who are in areas with several camera dealers. Ther is one here. This morning I happened to see him and he mentioned the 50D, but it is about $400 or more higher than at most stores in the larger cities.
ooops my apologies for being so unclear
the TAG, 00a7, is just to the left of the words total shutter releases, which is just to the left of the numeric amount of shutter releases.
IE: in exifpro it reads from left to right
00a7: total shutter releases 14800

Old 01-28-2009, 11:19 AM   #9 (permalink)
Free Member

My Mood:

Thanks for the information. How does that number compare to the number that is assigned to the current shot?

Old 01-29-2009, 12:17 AM   #10 (permalink)
Free Member

My Mood:

Quote:
ooops my apologies for being so unclear
the TAG, 00a7, is just to the left of the words total shutter releases, which is just to the left of the numeric amount of shutter releases.
IE: in exifpro it reads from left to right
00a7: total shutter releases 14800
Quote:
Thanks for the information. How does that number compare to the number that is assigned to the current shot?
the last pic taken is labeled DSC_4311, so is a bit off from the total releases overall.