Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Main Forums > Main Community Forum

Main Community Forum General Modeling & Photography Forum
Adult posts prohibited!>>Please Read Our GUIDELINES before posting!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Re: Thank goodness for image counters
Old 01-29-2009, 06:29 PM   #11 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 55764
Comments: 0
My Mood:

BenE is offline IP: 64.185.5.95

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JUSTA_NEWBIE View Post
the last pic taken is labeled DSC_4311, so is a bit off from the total releases overall.
The counter on some cameras go to 9,999 and then begin again at 001, or maybe it is ,101 or 1,001... I am not sure., So adding that to the 4311 looks about right.

Thanks.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to BenE Visit BenE's homepage! Find More Posts by BenE

Old 01-31-2009, 05:30 PM   #12 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 54250

CodeRaven is offline IP: 24.73.120.14

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Hi Ben, just happy that it all worked out in the end for you and that BB was understanding of your concern. They should have told you upfront that it may have been used. I wonder if it was the display model and people clicked away on it in the store.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to CodeRaven Find More Posts by CodeRaven

Old 02-01-2009, 10:37 AM   #13 (permalink)
Free Member

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CodeRaven View Post
Hi Ben, just happy that it all worked out in the end for you and that BB was understanding of your concern. They should have told you upfront that it may have been used. I wonder if it was the display model and people clicked away on it in the store.

Thanks,

I honestly believe the sales rep did nto know about it, and when it was returned someone failed to put the "open item" tag on it.

The Midland store was very helpful and called the Lubbock store to verify they had a new one.

A 270 mile round trip isn't too far to drive.. not when you are in West Texas.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to BenE Visit BenE's homepage! Find More Posts by BenE

Old 02-02-2009, 07:46 AM   #14 (permalink)
Founder Garage Glamour™

Member GG#: 1
Comments: 10
My Mood:
Send a message via AIM to rolandogomez

rolandogomez is offline IP: 72.191.15.133

Ben,

Interesting information. So what was the starting number you found on the replacement camera?

I remember when I was 16-years old, working at a retail camera store, we would take out new cameras and place them in our glass displays. Though we never ran a roll of film through them, often, when a customer was interested in a camera, we'd pull them out of the display case so they could hold them, look through them, focus the lens and customers always cocked and released the shutter.

Those cameras obviously had no internal shutter release counters and film always started at zero, so there was never a method to count the actual shutter releases. If we ran out of inventory in the back room, we'd always sell the display case cameras--with the buyer obviously made aware of this, at the regular sell-price. No one seemed to mind. The customer would even see us re-box the camera in its original box. People treated it like test driving a new car before purchase. Perhaps you purchased a display camera. Regardless, thanks for letting us know. All the best, rg sends!
Photographer & Author author of five photography books. My newest book is Socially Smart: Twitter Plus Facebook, Marketing Multipliers And Brand Boosters Click here for My Tweet Workshop Information and the Photo Blog
  View Public Profile Send a private message to rolandogomez Visit rolandogomez's homepage! Find More Posts by rolandogomez

Old 02-02-2009, 12:14 PM   #15 (permalink)
Free Member

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolandogomez View Post
Ben,

Interesting information. So what was the starting number you found on the replacement camera?
It was in around 2 thousand +. Now then.. after a lot of research, I have learned that there are other factors involved in the "starting count". It seems that in certain circumstances the count will not be at zero. I have talked to several photograpahers who said their camera did not have a zero count. For some reason the Canon users I have talked to say that somewhere in the 2 thousand range is what their cameras have.

However, there were some other indications, on the first camera, that made me suspicious. The owners manual was missing, and the package with all the user info was open. The battery was not in the original sealed package, and was about 80% fully charged. It took only 10 minutes to charge, which would indicate someone had charged it at least once. The camera was not inside the inner bag, but was inside the bubble bag. Considering all that, I am certain the camera had been taken from the store. The count might not have really been that high, because I also learned that when a CF card is placed into a new camera it will have an affect on the starting number.

The 2nd camera I purchased had everything sealed, so I am confident it was new. I did appreciate the attitude, and help I received at Best Buy, and everything is working great now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolandogomez View Post
I remember when I was 16-years old, working at a retail camera store, we would take out new cameras and place them in our glass displays. Though we never ran a roll of film through them, often, when a customer was interested in a camera, we'd pull them out of the display case so they could hold them, look through them, focus the lens and customers always cocked and released the shutter.

Those cameras obviously had no internal shutter release counters and film always started at zero, so there was never a method to count the actual shutter releases. If we ran out of inventory in the back room, we'd always sell the display case cameras--with the buyer obviously made aware of this, at the regular sell-price. No one seemed to mind. The customer would even see us re-box the camera in its original box. People treated it like test driving a new car before purchase. Perhaps you purchased a display camera. Regardless, thanks for letting us know. All the best, rg sends!
Speaking of display cameras.. I saw one a while back that did not have the lens attached! I was horrified thinking aobut how much dust was getting in there, not to mention the people who might actually touch the mirror. Usually the lens is on and the locking device will not allow the lens to be removed.

I also worked at a camera store, back in 1958-59, and we also sold the display cameras. but there was not too many that had sophisticated electronic wiring in them.

However nowadays store policies are different and an item, photographic or other, can be taken out for up to 14 days and then returned. I was just concerned that some person with no knowledge of how fragile a digital camera is, might have tossed it around or even "played" with the mirror.

By the way..... "Unlearned" photographers is nothing new. Back in 1980, when I was teaching a class at a community college, one of the students removed the lens from his 35mm camera and rubbed his finger across the mirror, while asking me why it flipped up when he snapped the shutter.

And it wasn't even the same guy who opened a package of unexposed photographer paper while sitting in the classroom, to see what it looked like, just before we went into the darkroom.