Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Main Forums > Main Community Forum

Main Community Forum General Modeling & Photography Forum
Adult posts prohibited!>>Please Read Our GUIDELINES before posting!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Can any of this business be recovered?
Old 12-11-2008, 10:23 AM   #1 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 55764
Comments: 0
My Mood:

BenE is offline IP: 216.167.157.152

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

In the past 3 or 4 years the number of glamour or boudoir (whatever you wish to call them) portrait sessions I am doing has drastically decreased. I am not referring to models, in this case, but regular portrait customers. I believe the fact that every guy has a digital camera and can photograph his wife, or girlfriend is the main factor.

I am wondering if this is the case all over, and if so, what do you think can be done to regain some of this business.. or is it lost forever?
  View Public Profile Send a private message to BenE Visit BenE's homepage! Find More Posts by BenE

Re: Can any of this business be recovered?
Old 12-11-2008, 01:15 PM   #2 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 58404

daalanis is offline IP: 99.136.242.206

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

With digital now a days bussiness is getting harder to come by, need to find some way to seperate yourself from every other GWC. At our studio we print everything here and get most packages out in about an hour (depending on package). Find your niche and get the word out, doesn't help that our economy is slidding down. Good luck.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to daalanis Find More Posts by daalanis

Old 12-11-2008, 01:27 PM   #3 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 48401

Allstar is offline IP: 70.153.133.67

Five years ago I was the only photographer offering action sports photos of area youth and high school teams. My business was great. Now, there are at least 4 Mom's with low priced digital camera taking photos from the stands and selling them to the parents. They have even started doing the teams picture day for them. They do no editing of the photos and take them straight to Walmart to processing, and even charge more than I do. How do you fight this?
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Allstar Find More Posts by Allstar

Old 12-11-2008, 02:08 PM   #4 (permalink)
Free Member

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by daalanis View Post
With digital now a days bussiness is getting harder to come by, need to find some way to seperate yourself from every other GWC. At our studio we print everything here and get most packages out in about an hour (depending on package). Find your niche and get the word out, doesn't help that our economy is slidding down. Good luck.
I did not mention anything about "other GWC", I said hubby and boyfriend.

But then, this was the next reply. It seems there is more to it than separating yourself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allstar View Post
Five years ago I was the only photographer offering action sports photos of area youth and high school teams. My business was great. Now, there are at least 4 Mom's with low priced digital camera taking photos from the stands and selling them to the parents. They have even started doing the teams picture day for them. They do no editing of the photos and take them straight to Walmart to processing, and even charge more than I do. How do you fight this?
  View Public Profile Send a private message to BenE Visit BenE's homepage! Find More Posts by BenE

Old 12-11-2008, 05:21 PM   #5 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 36974
My Mood:

Photomart is offline IP: 76.186.39.178

Hey Ben ... sorry to hear your business has been slowing down ... but maybe now you'll have more time to join me for that beer when I head to San Angelo for Christmas.

As you might remember ... I started out in the video production business and shot photography as a hobby until I went pro in 2002. My business partner is still trying to make a living shooting and editing videos ... and he's always bitching to me about the CGVC & CWDVES (guys with video cameras and desktop video editing software). LOL

Face it ... technology has (and will continue to) put a lot of very professional tools into the hands of the average consumer ... and at a relatively low cost.

In 1987, if you wanted to edit a video, you went to a video editing studio and paid $100/hr up to $500/hr. Six month ago, I bought Pinnacle Studio Plus for $150 and can do everything those big editing studios could do ... and I can do it on my home computer!

Twenty years ago, if you wanted your picture retouched, you went to a lab that had a photo retoucher onstaff ... and you paid a lot of money to get a photo retouched. Today ... Adobe makes Photoshop available online ... for free!

The only thing the "technologists" haven't figured out how to package for consumers is ... TALENT! If you have great talent and your work stands out from what those consumers are doing, seek out a consumer audience that values your talent. Just remember that "Improvements in technology does NOT rais the appreciation for quality" ... in fact ... it lowest the average consumer's quality expectation!

I saw it in the video business ... I'm seeing it in the photography business ... and I know that it won't get better, so my advice ---
"Find your niche ... or bitch!"
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Photomart Visit Photomart's homepage! Find More Posts by Photomart

Old 12-11-2008, 06:00 PM   #6 (permalink)
Free Member

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Photomart View Post
Hey Ben ... sorry to hear your business has been slowing down ... but maybe now you'll have more time to join me for that beer when I head to San Angelo for Christmas.
A San Angelo trip might be "doable", what were those dates
again?

Now then, I never said all my business was down. What I said was my boudoir sessions are down drastically. Then I stated what I thought the reason was. I also asked if that was just in my area or in other areas. I am certain the replies will start rolling in, any minute now.

I am thinking if enough photographers complain about business, and we all stick together perhaps we can get the BIG associations to let us go to Washington, (drive,, not fly, naturally), and ask for a few million to get us going again.

After all, if photography business goes under, where will all the cute girls get their photos taken in Santa hats? Wait... I think I already answered that.

Old 12-11-2008, 06:08 PM   #7 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 56509
Send a message via Yahoo to DDCStudios

DDCStudios is offline IP: 24.255.140.101

My understanding is weddings,kids sports,portraits and all are slowing because of the digital revolution! guess its up to the professionals to stay one step ahead of the amateur and keep things fresh,new and different enough to keep interested clients.
but then again Im a dunderhead!
  View Public Profile Send a private message to DDCStudios Visit DDCStudios's homepage! Find More Posts by DDCStudios

Old 12-11-2008, 07:09 PM   #8 (permalink)

Member GG#: 51075
Comments: 1
My Mood:
Send a message via Skype™ to PhotoDave1

PhotoDave1 is offline IP: 66.56.6.136

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allstar View Post
They are called "Digital Debbies" and basically they are bored housewifes whose kids are gone and whose husbands are so engrossed in their careers they barely notice their wives anymore and it has become an epidemic and a grave threat to true professional photographers everywhere.

The "Digital Debbies" have the inside track on the Pros because they are the ones who go to the coffee clatches, and the sewing circles, and the golf and tennis outing at the Country Club and they hear about the mom who wants photos of her kids before the Mom even has a chance to look for a Pro Photographer.

It used to be that the reputation and credentials that took a good Photographer years to build up counted for something but those days are going away very quickly and that most definitely is not a good thing for all of us.
deallen313@yahoo.com
Skype IM: DAllen3031
Twitter: ThePhotoPro1
Web Page: www.flickr.com/photos/3031photography/
Gear: Canon EOS 40D w/Grip + EOS 1N w/Grip; Tamron 28-70mm F2.8; Tamron 70-200 F2.8; Canon 430EXll
  View Public Profile Send a private message to PhotoDave1 Visit PhotoDave1's homepage! Find More Posts by PhotoDave1

Old 12-11-2008, 08:13 PM   #9 (permalink)
Free Member

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotoDave1 View Post
They are called "Digital Debbies" and basically they are bored housewifes whose kids are gone and whose husbands are so engrossed in their careers they barely notice their wives anymore and it has become an epidemic and a grave threat to true professional photographers everywhere.

The "Digital Debbies" have the inside track on the Pros because they are the ones who go to the coffee clatches, and the sewing circles, and the golf and tennis outing at the Country Club and they hear about the mom who wants photos of her kids before the Mom even has a chance to look for a Pro Photographer.

It used to be that the reputation and credentials that took a good Photographer years to build up counted for something but those days are going away very quickly and that most definitely is not a good thing for all of us.

Well, if they are bored, and hubby is not paying them any attention, why don't they go bar hoping like they used to in the good old days.. (joking)

Seriously you have nailed this one for sure. I was going to reply in a similar manner to Allstar, but you said it all so well.

That exact situation is in my area. One of the photographers has kids in all sorts of activities and she visits with the other moms and she gets a lot of business that way... Nothing wrong with that.. that is marketing yourself.

That is why I always get amused at the comment . "we must be different than the GWC" (which was not my original comment).

I do hear from many full time photographers across Texas that business is bad. But back to my bellyache.. I just want to shoot more purty gals.

(my spell checker does not seem to be working.. pardon any typos)

Old 12-12-2008, 06:43 AM   #10 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 37608

Mark_Oehler is offline IP: 173.19.191.209

Sorry, if this hijacks the thread, but ...

@allstar: There might be a potential opportunity there. You have something else that they don't have: process/workflow and a business model. Might it be worth approaching them and suggesting one or two of them work with you.

Sit down with them, look at the work and find the one that does the best, most consistent work and have them be a second shooter. You could pay them a flat rate to focus on the photos you may not like to do (whatever that might be) and would allow you to shoot alternate images; maybe a new idea has been swimming around in your head, but you've not had the time/opportunity.

You would take all the images, run them through your workflow and get quality prints that their product lacks for the kids. You wouldn't be shooting everything and you would be giving up some control, but hey, it might save, or even improve, your business.

Just and idea and might create something totally awesome.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Mark_Oehler Visit Mark_Oehler's homepage! Find More Posts by Mark_Oehler