Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Main Forums > Main Community Forum

Main Community Forum General Modeling & Photography Forum
Adult posts prohibited!>>Please Read Our GUIDELINES before posting!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
shared studio space. Your thoughts
Old 11-16-2008, 11:56 PM   #1 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 47214
Comments: 0

photojim06 is offline IP: 71.79.168.175

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

I recently opened a 2000 sq ft studio in Akron. Given the current economy I have been thinking of opening the studio to other photogs. Do any of you offer this or involved with shared space? If so do you have any problems? Do you offer or get keys for 24hr use?
My studio is very well equipped, lots of open space, spare offices, on site IT guy (as of 12/01) reception, high speed internet and much much more. Im thinking 550 per month with a one year contract and up to 10 hours per week which breaks down to 13.75 per hour. That seems pretty fair considering all things offered.
Let me know your Pros and Cons...

God Bless

Jim
  View Public Profile Send a private message to photojim06 Visit photojim06's homepage! Find More Posts by photojim06

Re: shared studio space. Your thoughts
Old 11-17-2008, 06:19 AM   #2 (permalink)
GWC Extraordinaire

Member GG#: 40697
Send a message via MSN to The_Glamour_Spot Send a message via Yahoo to The_Glamour_Spot

The_Glamour_Spot is offline IP: 70.139.90.27

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Ive been doing it since 2005. Its a great way to reduce and control your expenses. As with any other relationship, there will be conflicts....equipment will get broken...misplaced. There may be times when BOTH of you need the studio at the same time (happens)...I suggest you get it all in writing...a strong lease covering the do's and don'ts. You may want to create an online calendar for bookings just so there are NO misunderstandings about WHO was booked and when...and most importantly, prepare for the divorce with a pre-nup...and I am serious here...It probly won't last forever....and if you become dependant on that rental income and he "ups and leaves" overnight....well its easy to see how that can turn ugly. Just make sure you have "outs" in the lease for someone to leave with notice...how it works....etc.

When I left my last arrangement here in Houston, I gave my notice rather suddenly, but the notice was I would leave preferably by XX date but will stay until you find a replacement....but I ended up referring my replacement so I was able to leave rather quickly...These arrangements can be great at times...and well there is the alternative LOL...

http://www.bobbygphoto.com
  View Public Profile Send a private message to The_Glamour_Spot Visit The_Glamour_Spot's homepage! Find More Posts by The_Glamour_Spot

Old 11-17-2008, 11:07 PM   #3 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 47214

photojim06 is offline IP: 71.79.168.175

Thanks Bobbby!!!
  View Public Profile Send a private message to photojim06 Visit photojim06's homepage! Find More Posts by photojim06

Old 11-18-2008, 01:13 AM   #4 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 37850
Comments: 1
My Mood:
Send a message via MSN to JonScott Send a message via Yahoo to JonScott

JonScott is offline IP: 206.212.226.175

It works for some, it doesn't work for others.

The last studio co-op I was in, like Bobby said, had an ironclad lease/subletting contract (which I established as a condition of "partnership") and was fairly one-sided in my favor because the building lease was in my name exclusively.

I had two partners in it, one was the "perfect partner" and we rarely ran into each other. The other was a "space hog," and, as it turned out, was a big time partier and used the studio space as a party zone and "distribution point" if you catch my drift. The good partner left immediately upon discovering this (I don't blame him). When I exercised the eviction notice on him (the devil spawn), he fought me (legally) tooth and nail over every interpretation of every insignificant detail imaginable, trying to force me to give up on the eviction. Fortunately the building owner understood my position (and knew my subletters contract) and allowed me out of my lease early without penalty.

At this point, I would/will never enter into a long-term co-op partnership with people that I don't personally know well.

.:Why isn't "I like kitties" an acceptable career goal?:.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to JonScott Visit JonScott's homepage! Find More Posts by JonScott

Old 11-18-2008, 08:35 AM   #5 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 50164
My Mood:

lepphed is offline IP: 67.177.75.147

Mr. Jim, I think at first, I would offer the studio by the hour to maybe feel out the photographers who are intrested. That could maybe give you a chance to know someone to see if they are worthy or capable of doing a partnership.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to lepphed Find More Posts by lepphed

Old 11-21-2008, 08:56 AM   #6 (permalink)
Dax
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 35270

Dax is offline IP: 74.233.175.208

I have shared my studio from the day I got it. We went in as a team and have never had any major problems. We have had times were we both schedule a shoot on the same day, but that happens once or twice a year.. We almost always talk to each other before scheduling shoots. But he is a bit of a trouble maker when it comes to equipment... things break... things are not always put back.. but he makes up for it.. when i let him know. =) ....or i would shoot and leave it a mess... lol and then we are even =P

As for renting it out to others, I have done that for few yrs.. I do it more as a service and help, than to make money. So far I had only one guy who rented it on a weekly basis... We charged him $450 a month and he could use it once a week... BUT I do not give free access to anyone but my partner. Everyone else that rents it, I have to be there.. more for insurance reasons and to keep an eye that nothing gets lost, broken or abused =P
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Dax Visit Dax's homepage! Find More Posts by Dax