Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Main Forums > Main Community Forum

Main Community Forum General Modeling & Photography Forum
Adult posts prohibited!>>Please Read Our GUIDELINES before posting!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Attending RG Workshop - suggestions?
Old 06-19-2008, 03:38 PM   #1 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 39248
Comments: 0

camptown is offline IP: 98.194.112.73

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Hey all,

I'm attending the RG workshop here in Houston this Saturday and since it is my first workshop I was wondering if anybody who has attended one might provide.

1) overview of what to expect, and more importantly,
2) suggestions or recommendations to get the most out of the workshop.

Thanks for any help!
CT

Re: Attending RG Workshop - suggestions?
Old 06-19-2008, 10:37 PM   #2 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 42284

icuphotography is offline IP: 74.195.185.106

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

The First Rule of an RG Workshop is don't talk about the workshop.

The Second Rule of an RG Workshop is don't talk about the workshop.

The Third Rule of an RG Workshop is don't talk about the workshop.

Any questions?

Seriously, just bring your camera and be ready to shoot. Everything else is taken care of for you.

Old 06-19-2008, 10:41 PM   #3 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 35783
Comments: 7
My Mood:

stevenD is offline IP: 71.189.159.247

And whatever you do, don't show anyone the secret RG Workshop Handshake!

Don't stress about it, just listen and learn...

Old 06-20-2008, 10:59 AM   #4 (permalink)
Founder Garage Glamour™

Member GG#: 1
Comments: 10
My Mood:
Send a message via AIM to rolandogomez

rolandogomez is offline IP: 72.191.15.133

Hey Doc, since you own a plane, read this, you'll love this workshop! Thanks, off to Houston and you can talk at my workshops, just not about me (grin)...later, off to Houston, Doc, you should come, it's only one day! Later, rg sends!
Photographer & Author author of five photography books. My newest book is Socially Smart: Twitter Plus Facebook, Marketing Multipliers And Brand Boosters Click here for My Tweet Workshop Information and the Photo Blog
  View Public Profile Send a private message to rolandogomez Visit rolandogomez's homepage! Find More Posts by rolandogomez

Old 06-20-2008, 02:24 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member GG#: 58489

studio32d is offline IP: 67.8.64.254

After a full understanding of rules 1 through 3, you can move on to :

Rule Four: Although medium telephoto to telephoto are the preferred focal lengths for shooting glamour, be prepared to go wider. Shooting locations are sometimes a little tight.

Rule Five: While you await your turn to shoot, observe what the other photographers are doing. You may see something you want to try or something you want to avoid. Take the opportunity to observe how the model moves, her relationship to the light, and what kind of feedback seems most effective.

Rule Six: Unless you're seven feet tall and bulletproof, do not shoot over the shoulder of another photographer. Ever.

Rule Seven: Relax. Take a break. Review the images you've captured and make a plan for the next round. You might miss a turn but that's better than living with all the "what-ifs" on Monday.

Rule Eight: Don't be afraid to ask for help.

Rule Nine: Get in and get out. You'll be given an approximate shot count, respect it. You don't want to be "that guy".

Rule Ten: (Which is actually Rule One) Treat the models with respect. Period.

I hope you enjoy the workshop.

Murph
studio32d

Old 06-20-2008, 11:54 PM   #6 (permalink)
Free Member

thanks to all for the advice...I'd post how well it worked after the workshop, but see rules 1-3.
CT

Old 06-21-2008, 11:48 PM   #7 (permalink)
Capri Photography

Member GG#: 45764
My Mood:

Jetboy is offline IP: 69.152.229.84

Quote:
Originally Posted by studio32d View Post
After a full understanding of rules 1 through 3, you can move on to :

Rule Four: Although medium telephoto to telephoto are the preferred focal lengths for shooting glamour, be prepared to go wider. Shooting locations are sometimes a little tight.

Rule Five: While you await your turn to shoot, observe what the other photographers are doing. You may see something you want to try or something you want to avoid. Take the opportunity to observe how the model moves, her relationship to the light, and what kind of feedback seems most effective.

Rule Six: Unless you're seven feet tall and bulletproof, do not shoot over the shoulder of another photographer. Ever.

Rule Seven: Relax. Take a break. Review the images you've captured and make a plan for the next round. You might miss a turn but that's better than living with all the "what-ifs" on Monday.

Rule Eight: Don't be afraid to ask for help.

Rule Nine: Get in and get out. You'll be given an approximate shot count, respect it. You don't want to be "that guy".

Rule Ten: (Which is actually Rule One) Treat the models with respect. Period.

I hope you enjoy the workshop.

Murph
studio32d
Excellent suggestions Murph, and all of them hit the nail on the head. Having been to more of Rolando's workshops than I can count (except for the exotic ones, and that'd be five...so far!) I can't think of anything you've left out. Thanks for the post!

Best,
Alan

“Even under the best forms of government, those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny.” -Thomas Jefferson
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Jetboy Visit Jetboy's homepage! Find More Posts by Jetboy

Old 06-22-2008, 09:27 PM   #8 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 47013
Send a message via AIM to steve_J

steve_J is offline IP: 64.12.117.142

its a lot of work and a ton of fun. relax and enjoy.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to steve_J Find More Posts by steve_J

Old 06-23-2008, 01:55 AM   #9 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 37369

n5wd is offline IP: 68.113.210.69

Quote:
Originally Posted by camptown View Post
... suggestions or recommendations to get the most out of the workshop.
Let me throw in a few additional rules:

Rule #11: Talk with the models when they're not in front of the camera, and the makeup people... you can learn a LOT that way, especially if you don't usually work with pro or semi-pro models or makeup artists.

Rule #12: Don't be afraid to "Look out for #1" - If you're not getting the shots you need because of different personalities in the group, or some situation that is correctable, talk with Rolando and/or whomever is helping run the workshop. These workshops can be crazy busy, especially if you have four or five sets going at the same time, and they may not be aware of the dynamics that are occurring. Don't whine, but don't be afraid to mention it if someone is ruining it for the other folks.

Rule #13: If the format has remained the same, you will have the opportunity to get a signed release from the individual models that you chose at the end of the workshop, so bring along a bit of cash just in case you start getting images that you think you can use. If I remember, $50 was the going rate. YMMV in this regard.

Enjoy!

Wayne

Old 06-27-2008, 11:52 PM   #10 (permalink)
Free Member

Wow, what a great experience. Great models, instruction, and practice opportunities.

Quick question, I saw it mentioned somewhere that participants get a free hensel beauty dish if they purchase one of the hensel kits. I'm about to sell off some of my ABs and get either the 2 or 3 light hensel kit.

Where can I find out how to get the beauty dish offer?

Thanks, and here are a few of my favorites from the shoot...