Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Main Forums > Main Community Forum

Main Community Forum General Modeling & Photography Forum
Adult posts prohibited!>>Please Read Our GUIDELINES before posting!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Giving prints/files to a paid model?
Old 06-03-2008, 05:00 PM   #1 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 57268
Comments: 0

PerformanceImagery is offline IP: 97.112.147.94

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Quick question for everyone. I have a shoot later this week where I am paying a model to do a 4 hour shoot. We have worked out the rates and every thing is set. What I'm wondering is if I should giver her any prints or digital files for her portfolio since I'm paying her for the shoot. It's a commercial shoot if that matters.

Thanks in advance,

Keith

Re: Giving prints/files to a paid model?
Old 06-03-2008, 10:25 PM   #2 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 38048
Send a message via AIM to RSStory Send a message via MSN to RSStory Send a message via Yahoo to RSStory

RSStory is offline IP: 98.209.30.90

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

If you are paying her in cash then that is her pay... You have no obligation to give images as well unless that was part of your agreement. That said, I will typically make sure I slip her a print or two if I can. If this is a commercial shoot then alot of that depends on your agreement with the client. If the images are exclusive to them then giving her an image would breach your contract with the client. Given the info I have that is the best I can do to answer the question.

Old 06-04-2008, 09:31 AM   #3 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 57268

PerformanceImagery is offline IP: 97.112.150.236

Thanks for the reply. Giving her copies of the images would not break my agreement with my clients. They are receiving nonexclusive rights to the images.

Old 06-04-2008, 11:59 AM   #4 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 57919
Comments: 1

kgphoto is offline IP: 69.235.149.111

What do you want?

Are your pictures worthless? Why are you giving them away?

Isn't the model fully compensated by her fee?
  View Public Profile Send a private message to kgphoto Find More Posts by kgphoto

Old 06-04-2008, 04:26 PM   #5 (permalink)
Vic Naumann

Member GG#: 40216
Comments: 37
My Mood:

Jagdoc is offline IP: 69.138.20.39

Even when I pay a model, I usually give her a couple of web sized images. It doesn't hurt to get some advertizing if she uses them on her profile/site.

Just what works for me.

Vic
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Jagdoc Find More Posts by Jagdoc

Old 06-05-2008, 10:56 AM   #6 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 57919
Comments: 1

kgphoto is offline IP: 69.235.84.70

Vic,

I can see your motivation for that. However, I wonder, wouldn't she want some enough to buy them? If not, why not and should they be displayed?

Since you own the copyright, you can post them on your website to show you worked with certain models.

Is the PR or advertising exposure worth the loss of sales?

I come to all this from not shooting "models", but clients. People who pay me to shoot them and then pay for prints and still refer me to other people. So I just don't get the apparent lack of worth of all the good images I see on this site.

Perhaps you are just looking to hire models to shoot, rather than the other way around. Then I can see this is just an advertising expense since it is the shooting experience you are trying to garner, rather than the earning potential from your photographic skill.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to kgphoto Find More Posts by kgphoto

Old 06-05-2008, 11:14 AM   #7 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 38048
Send a message via AIM to RSStory Send a message via MSN to RSStory Send a message via Yahoo to RSStory

RSStory is offline IP: 98.209.30.90

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgphoto View Post
Vic,

I can see your motivation for that. However, I wonder, wouldn't she want some enough to buy them? If not, why not and should they be displayed?

Since you own the copyright, you can post them on your website to show you worked with certain models.

I come to all this from not shooting "models", but clients. People who pay me to shoot them and then pay for prints and still refer me to other people. So I just don't get the apparent lack of worth of all the good images I see on this site.

Perhaps you are just looking to hire models to shoot, rather than the other way around. Then I can see this is just an advertising expense since it is the shooting experience you are trying to garner, rather than the earning potential from your photographic skill.
I definately see your point and dont disagree with the thought process. However, what can it hurt to give a model a couple web images to use. It will certainly build good will with that model and models do talk to each other alot. I kind of mis-spoke myself in my earlier post. I dont give actual prints, I give a couple web images with my copyright on them for them to use in on-line portfolio's. If they want a print then they would buy it so long as I have the right to sell it. If I am hired to shoot images that are exclusive or under a work for hire situation then of course all of this is a moot point anyway.

Old 06-05-2008, 04:13 PM   #8 (permalink)
Vic Naumann

Member GG#: 40216
Comments: 37
My Mood:

Jagdoc is offline IP: 69.138.20.39

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgphoto View Post
Vic,

I once worked for a newspaper and got paid for my work. Now I shoot as a hobby. As far as how much they are worth, I don't put a monetary value on them.

If I hire an occasional traveling model, that's someone to add to my book. The more good images I have, the more good models want to work with me for trade. I shoot as much as I want to, and I shoot what I want to. That's just my way of doing things. I'm not looking to hire models, but I don't think it's a mistake to hire someone who helps you in the long run.

Everyone shoud figure out what works best for them, there is no right answer.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Jagdoc Find More Posts by Jagdoc

Old 06-05-2008, 11:31 PM   #9 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 37080

grumblecat is offline IP: 71.197.106.150

I suppose from my point of view what is worth more to you, the amount you could get by charging for prints or the good will you could earn by giving images to the model.

I think pretty much everything in life is cost benefit analysis. What is worth more. And really your the only one that can answer that.

personally if I didn't lose any future value in giving the images to the model I would give them to her, mostly because being a part time photographer having good will with the models is of greater value to me than any money I could get from the print.

gary roberts
My Website
  View Public Profile Send a private message to grumblecat Visit grumblecat's homepage! Find More Posts by grumblecat

Old 06-16-2008, 02:47 AM   #10 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 46572
My Mood:

kjtw is offline IP: 67.60.31.221

I tend to agree with the theory that if the model is paid, they don't have any right to copies. If they want some, they need to purchase them.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to kjtw Visit kjtw's homepage! Find More Posts by kjtw