Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Main Forums > Main Community Forum

Main Community Forum General Modeling & Photography Forum
Adult posts prohibited!>>Please Read Our GUIDELINES before posting!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Kristen
Old 04-25-2008, 11:47 PM   #1 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 36789
Comments: 1
My Mood:
Send a message via Yahoo to ARTFORMS

ARTFORMS is offline IP: 71.12.72.142

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Shot in natural light.

Jim
  View Public Profile Send a private message to ARTFORMS Visit ARTFORMS's homepage! Find More Posts by ARTFORMS

Re: Kristen
Old 04-26-2008, 01:00 AM   #2 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 36573

FrankParis is offline IP: 76.23.104.74

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Excellent!

Old 04-26-2008, 02:45 AM   #3 (permalink)

Member GG#: 35406
Comments: 0

Al_Nowak is offline IP: 24.11.214.199

It doesn't work for me.

Her stance seems sort of contrived. The bottom of her shirt looks messy and intentionally pulled up. Her right hand looks larger than her left hand. The necklace is somewhat distracting, and the far away stare just seems to isolate her.

There's an interesting wall to lean her against, but you didn't use it.

The light is nice, but IMHO there are too many other disparate elements to let the image come together cohesively.

Just my opinion -- worth about what it costs ya...

Elvis has left the building...
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Al_Nowak Find More Posts by Al_Nowak

Old 04-26-2008, 07:19 PM   #4 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 36789
My Mood:
Send a message via Yahoo to ARTFORMS

ARTFORMS is offline IP: 71.12.72.142

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al_Nowak View Post
It doesn't work for me.

Her stance seems sort of contrived. The bottom of her shirt looks messy and intentionally pulled up. Her right hand looks larger than her left hand. The necklace is somewhat distracting, and the far away stare just seems to isolate her.

There's an interesting wall to lean her against, but you didn't use it.

The light is nice, but IMHO there are too many other disparate elements to let the image come together cohesively.

Just my opinion -- worth about what it costs ya...
Just curious about why you think a model needs to lean against something and where you think the model might need to look.
Perhaps the rule 10 from you would be a good thing here.
Glad it didn't cost me anything. The opinion that is.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to ARTFORMS Visit ARTFORMS's homepage! Find More Posts by ARTFORMS

Old 04-26-2008, 08:42 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARTFORMS View Post
Just curious about why you think a model needs to lean against something and where you think the model might need to look.
Perhaps the rule 10 from you would be a good thing here.
Glad it didn't cost me anything. The opinion that is.
Ahhh, I thought I'd be catching flak for those comments...

I don't think the model necessarily needs to lean against the wall, but the stance she took doesn't do a thing for her.

As to where she might need to be looking, I guess that depends on what you intended the picture to be.

Lets talk about this a bit. If this is a snapshot, okay, I'll let it go. But if it's supposed to be more than a snapshot, I think you missed the boat. Your responsibility doesn't end at pushing the shutter button in that case.

Now if it's more than a snapshot, just what is it? A glamour shot, a fashion shot, a portrait, or something else? Frankly, I can't put it into a catagory. And the reason I can't is that it just doesn't work for me on several levels.

But this is just my opinion. Other may think it's the greatest thing since whatever. Since the half life of 99.999% of the images created is probably on the order of two or three seconds, I am not going to get all upset about it, and I hope you don't take my comments too seriously.

You had a nice combination of elements; a pretty girl, an interesting location, and some pretty light. But the details got away from you. A little styling, a pose change, and a little interaction with the model, and you could have had a killer shot. As it is, you got a snapshot.

Rule 10... Let's be adult, and talk about things in real terms.

Few people post images with critiques anymore, and I tell you in my signature that I don't post images on G1 anymore. Feel free to go to OMP or ModelMayhem to look at my images, critique, or whatever.

As for being polite, I think I was within acceptable limits. But again this is a matter of personal opinion. If you think I overstepped the boundaries, I apologize.

I did point out what I think is wrong with the image, not just say it's not a great image.

View Public Profile Send a private message to Al_Nowak Find More Posts by Al_Nowak
Last edited by Al_Nowak; 04-26-2008 at 09:16 PM..

Old 04-26-2008, 08:46 PM   #6 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 58595

Ms. Muffy is offline IP: 72.24.118.175

I like it. I think that I would like it a little more if it were bit more contrasty (that is just me), but it doesn't look at all like a snapshot to me. I think it is a great photo.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Ms. Muffy Find More Posts by Ms. Muffy

Old 04-27-2008, 01:34 PM   #7 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 58983

tintype is offline IP: 24.19.122.105

I like it. I wouldn't touch it. I like the shadow play, the reflections in the granite, and her pose is intriguing. If I were to "interpret" this photo I sense a "not again" disbelief in her expression. I can imagine her partner off camera trying to convince her - yet again; why the need for a new lens as big as Mt. Palomar and why it's a good "investment".
  View Public Profile Send a private message to tintype Find More Posts by tintype

Old 04-27-2008, 05:45 PM   #8 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 36482
Comments: 2

lsc1 is offline IP: 70.153.34.184

Quote:
Ahhh, I thought I'd be catching flak for those comments...

Rule 10... Let's be adult, and talk about things in real terms.

Few people post images with critiques anymore, and I tell you in my signature that I don't post images on G1 anymore. Feel free to go to OMP or ModelMayhem to look at my images, critique, or whatever.

As for being polite, I think I was within acceptable limits.
I'm not sure you're catching any flak about the comments, I think you are catching a little flak about your propensity for commenting without putting ANY of your work out there to be judged in context of those comments.

Firstly, I would not believe that your comments are necessarily invalid even if your work is not as good. Even those who can't find the shutter button can sometimes recognize problems with an image. So this may bother some people.

Secondly, you take a strong stand against posting images on G1 and state it in your signature but you certainly don't have enough issue with G1 not to participate. Whether accurate or not, it can appear hypocritical. And as to "most" people ignoring Rule 10, I disagree. Some do, but a rule is still a rule - because other people don't file their taxes, would you use that as a basis not to file your own?

Lastly, you reference MM and OMP but you have no links or #'s with which to find or see your work. Should we all perform searches to track down your images?

Sharing images for critique is about making ones self vulnerable and putting your work out there. It's sort of bullyish to always critique others but never put yourself out there. You could be a great guy and I'm not trying to insult you - just trying to let you see where the flak may get it's basis.

Cheers.../hijack...back to regularly scheduled programming.

"The girlshapedlovedrug messes with my mind." Gomez (the band)
  View Public Profile Send a private message to lsc1 Find More Posts by lsc1

Old 04-27-2008, 07:07 PM   #9 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 55042
My Mood:

RobArtLyn is offline IP: 141.156.182.35

Quote:
I tell you in my signature that I don't post images on G1 anymore.
Actually, your signature says "I don't put pictures in a G1 portfolio", which is not the same thing as posting them here. The can be hosted elsewhere and posted here.

Quote:
Feel free to go to OMP or ModelMayhem to look at my images, critique, or whatever.
In that case, the polite thing to do is to mention:

The Effective Image - OMP #4252 / MM #58903

instead of making everyone deal with the lousy search functions (particularly at MM).
  View Public Profile Send a private message to RobArtLyn Find More Posts by RobArtLyn

Old 04-27-2008, 07:59 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsc1 View Post
I'm not sure you're catching any flak about the comments, I think you are catching a little flak about your propensity for commenting without putting ANY of your work out there to be judged in context of those comments.

By your thinking only movie directors could write reviews of movies, and stage directors review plays. TV show reviews would be a thing of the past, and there'd be damn few book reviews...

What possible difference could it make what my pictures look like if my comments are valid? There is this great myth that you have to take pictures to critique pictures. Bull...

Maybe if I said he should have used a 200 mm lens at F5.6 and 1/30 second exposure with a red filter there would be at least some connection. But I didn't... I talked about her stance, her shirt, and her necklace. Anybody should be able to comment on those without the slightest knowledge of photography.

Quote:
Firstly, I would not believe that your comments are necessarily invalid even if your work is not as good. Even those who can't find the shutter button can sometimes recognize problems with an image. So this may bother some people.

Secondly, you take a strong stand against posting images on G1 and state it in your signature but you certainly don't have enough issue with G1 not to participate. Whether accurate or not, it can appear hypocritical. And as to "most" people ignoring Rule 10, I disagree. Some do, but a rule is still a rule - because other people don't file their taxes, would you use that as a basis not to file your own?

Whoa, now I'm a hypocrit because I don't post pictures on this site, but do write in the forums. Well, at least I have a lot of company. Besides, I do have a lifetime membership, which is a lot more than most of my hypocritical companions have invested in the site.

As for taxes, it might surprise you to learn just how many people routinely DON'T file taxes. The government doesn't like to publicize the number, it might make those who do file feel stupid...
I unfortunately do... file taxes that is... and yes, I feel stupid for doing so.

As for Rule 10 and posting images... get real. Take a look at any thread with image comments. I'd guess the commenter image posting is 10-20% at MOST. Heck, even this thread has a couple of non-image poster comments besides mine.

Quote:
Lastly, you reference MM and OMP but you have no links or #'s with which to find or see your work. Should we all perform searches to track down your images?
Yes...

Quote:
Sharing images for critique is about making ones self vulnerable and putting your work out there. It's sort of bullyish to always critique others but never put yourself out there. You could be a great guy and I'm not trying to insult you - just trying to let you see where the flak may get it's basis.
The thing is if you are serious about showing or - GASP - selling your work, you sure better get used to comments good and bad from people who don't take pictures.

Unfortunately, this site has turned into a "you pat my back, I'll pat yours" free for all, and if you dare to say anything other than how wonderful a mediocre image is, you are the clone of the Resident Evil. (BTW, where is Christian when we need him?)

Heck, I can take the flak. Remember, I'm only a dilletante... and I can always just walk away from the site as so many others have already done.

Maybe, just maybe... if there were more honest opinions expressed, the images showing up on display would get better.