Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Main Forums > Main Community Forum

Main Community Forum General Modeling & Photography Forum
Adult posts prohibited!>>Please Read Our GUIDELINES before posting!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Recording copyright info
Old 03-12-2008, 07:04 AM   #1 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 37401
Comments: 0

krzma is offline IP: 75.72.62.98

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

How is copyright symbol and photographer's name recorded on images?
  View Public Profile Send a private message to krzma Find More Posts by krzma

Re: Recording copyright info
Old 03-12-2008, 09:19 AM   #2 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 35872
Comments: 41

R_Fredrick_Smith is offline IP: 76.246.173.119

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Quote:
Originally Posted by krzma View Post
How is copyright symbol and photographer's name recorded on images?
Just use the type tool in Photoshop to add the copyright notice. To get the copyright symbol, hold down the Alt key and then press 0169 one number at a time on the numeric keypad and then release the Alt key and the symbol will appear. Then type the rest of your text normally.
Cheers,
rfs

"The map is not the Territory"
  View Public Profile Send a private message to R_Fredrick_Smith Visit R_Fredrick_Smith's homepage! Find More Posts by R_Fredrick_Smith

Old 03-12-2008, 10:15 AM   #3 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 35279
Comments: 4
My Mood:
Send a message via Yahoo to Earl53

Earl53 is offline IP: 71.80.40.75

If you are using Photoshop then there's another way. I use PS7 and there's a custom shape tool. Click on it and at the top you'll see the word Shape with a drop-down arrow. There you'll see the copyright symbol as a brush.

Set your foreground color to what you want for text and place the symbol to any size you want by holding down the mouse button and dragging.

Place it on a separate layer so you can work with a layer style, bevel and emboss things like that. Drop the opacity it it appears see through. This way it doesn't take over the photo. Plus you can resize it, move it around. Merge the shape layer and text layer so they become one layer.

This is just an example.

http://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m.../copyright.jpg
Last edited by R_Fredrick_Smith; 03-13-2008 at 08:59 AM..

Old 03-13-2008, 08:30 AM   #4 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 45340

PhotosbyChuck is offline IP: 68.77.11.217

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl53 View Post
If you are using Photoshop then there's another way...
I use a very similar method, although slightly different effect. I use white text and then change the blending of the layer to multiply. This creates true see-thru text without color of its own (it takes color from the background layer).

Here is that effect:

View Public Profile Visit PhotosbyChuck's homepage! Find More Posts by PhotosbyChuck

Old 03-13-2008, 09:01 AM   #5 (permalink)
Free Member

R_Fredrick_Smith is offline IP: 76.246.173.119

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotosbyChuck View Post
I use a very similar method, although slightly different effect. I use white text and then change the blending of the layer to multiply. This creates true see-thru text without color of its own (it takes color from the background layer).

Here is that effect:

Your method works well, but please note that in your example, you have not added a copyright notice but just a logo to the photo. A copyright notice has to meet certain criteria which your logo does not. Keep in mind that proper notice of copyright can be important in getting maximum settlements if you have to take legal action to protect your copyright.
Cheers,
rfs

View Public Profile Send a private message to R_Fredrick_Smith Visit R_Fredrick_Smith's homepage! Find More Posts by R_Fredrick_Smith

Old 03-13-2008, 10:14 AM   #6 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 45340

PhotosbyChuck is offline IP: 68.77.11.217

Quote:
Originally Posted by R_Fredrick_Smith View Post
Your method works well, but please note that in your example, you have not added a copyright notice but just a logo to the photo. A copyright notice has to meet certain criteria which your logo does not. Keep in mind that proper notice of copyright can be important in getting maximum settlements if you have to take legal action to protect your copyright.
Cheers,
rfs
Yep, the image I linked was intended to show the effect rather than serve as a copyright notice. Note that since October 31, 1988 a copyright notice is not required in the United States. As you say, using a notice in the form of (C) Year, Name on all published copies is an effective way to mitigating the innocent infringement claim.
  View Public Profile Visit PhotosbyChuck's homepage! Find More Posts by PhotosbyChuck

Old 03-13-2008, 10:44 AM   #7 (permalink)
Free Member

R_Fredrick_Smith is offline IP: 76.199.116.197

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotosbyChuck View Post
Yep, the image I linked was intended to show the effect rather than serve as a copyright notice. Note that since October 31, 1988 a copyright notice is not required in the United States. As you say, using a notice in the form of (C) Year, Name on all published copies is an effective way to mitigating the innocent infringement claim.
Right. And in light of the recent big controversy over the "orphan" clause it becomes more important to stop "innocent infringement". It seems like that excuse is the most prevalent one that his heard.
Cheers,
rfs

Old 03-13-2008, 11:27 AM   #8 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 35541

photoaz is offline IP: 67.161.152.126

There are several ways to do this. One is to create a blank document, type all the pertinent information you want, name, year, copyright symbol then turn it into a custom shape or brush. Then it is just a quick click and size to embed it where you want.

You can even do this and make it an action for a single or whole folder of images. I would suggest if you are going to do this to also add to this an update of Metadata for copyright info too.

If you want even more style you can create a new document with a transparent background, your logo, copyright info and then save it. Create a new action which brings this document into your image as a smart object then you can have the color of your logo along with a faded white background and a completely editable smart object.