Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamourô > Garage Glamourô Main Forums > Main Community Forum

Main Community Forum General Modeling & Photography Forum
Adult posts prohibited!>>Please Read Our GUIDELINES before posting!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Is it Glamour, Commercial, Editorial?
Old 03-08-2008, 04:09 AM   #1 (permalink)
Founder Garage Glamourô

Member GG#: 1
Comments: 10
My Mood:
Send a message via AIM to rolandogomez

rolandogomez is offline IP: 70.125.157.219

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

I thought I'd post another example of "What is it? Commercial, Editorial, Glamour or Fashion?" based on this original post discussion, click here.

All depends how you look at it. This image is from a commercial shoot that featured March 2006 Playboy Playmate Monica Leigh but could easily tell an editorial story.

This image was not chosen, this is a reject. The other images, in a different dress, as we shot three dresses that day, will appear in full-page ads starting this Sept. in Playboy, Maxim and Sports Illustrated. More on that later, just wanted to share, thanks, rg sends!

(Camera, Canon 5D, Canon 70-200L IS USM, set at 130mm, F/5 at ISO 100, 1/40th Shutter-Speed, White Balance 6000K, RAW setting, Lexar Digital cards, Hensel lighting, total of 9 lights, one modified with Chimera Octa57, another, Chimera Large Strip, 7-inch reflectors with grids for accent lights, Rosco Cinefoil.)
Photographer & Author author of five photography books. My newest book is Socially Smart: Twitter Plus Facebook, Marketing Multipliers And Brand Boosters Click here for My Tweet Workshop Information and the Photo Blog
  View Public Profile Send a private message to rolandogomez Visit rolandogomez's homepage! Find More Posts by rolandogomez

Re: Is it Glamour, Commercial, Editorial?
Old 03-08-2008, 12:27 PM   #2 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 55352
Comments: 14

Stecyk is offline IP: 68.146.42.150

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Rolando,

Can you please comment on why it wasn't one of the selected images? Obviously, the other image was better, but can you comment on the shortcomings with this particular image?

And with regard to the nine lights used, can you please comment on why you chose to use nine lights? As a complete novice, my initial reaction or guess is that your nine lights allowed you to use lighting very delicately and selectively.

Best regards,
Kevin
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Stecyk Visit Stecyk's homepage! Find More Posts by Stecyk

Old 03-08-2008, 01:20 PM   #3 (permalink)
Founder Garage Glamourô

My Mood:

Kevin,

This image didn't fit the layout of the advertisement, it's a full page ad with two images, plus the Brand Manager of the advertising agency liked the other two dresses, one was black and the other red. Right now it appears they are going with the red dress. I can't elaborate too much until the advertisement is finally approved for ad copy. I've seen a PDF of it, but it's still being worked on. Can't wait to share it!

In my new book, which comes out in Sept. and is on posing, all three dress images will be included and the reasons why along with the final advertisement and how it all had to fit.

On the lights, they wanted certain things critically lit and I'll try and dig up the set shot, it's on my Leica Rangefinder and I have to download it. One light, the large Chimera Strip box, is actually the "Window" behind the sheer white curtain behind the model. There as another small strip in front of the curtain rod to light the curtains, though subtle for just enough detail while still staying dark.

Another light, the main light, was a Chimera Oct57 at 7-foot width, to light the model, which also gives a great catchlight that can be seen in the print version, not so much the web version. There was another medium Chimera strip just to the left of the Octa57 for filling the model's right side. One 7-inch reflector with a 20-degree grid to light the top of the table, as the wood goes real dark and needs extra light. Another 7-reflector with a 10-degree grid to light the front of the table's edge for more detail.

Another 7-reflector with a 20-degree grid for the purse and hand/arm area as an accent light. The same for her hair on the viewer's right and another on the left.

I hope that helps, thanks, rg sends!
Photographer & Author author of five photography books. My newest book is Socially Smart: Twitter Plus Facebook, Marketing Multipliers And Brand Boosters Click here for My Tweet Workshop Information and the Photo Blog
  View Public Profile Send a private message to rolandogomez Visit rolandogomez's homepage! Find More Posts by rolandogomez

Old 03-08-2008, 01:38 PM   #4 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Rolando,

Thank you for your detailed answer, and I look forward to your new book in September.

Best regards,
Kevin
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Stecyk Visit Stecyk's homepage! Find More Posts by Stecyk

Here are set outtakes...
Old 03-08-2008, 02:09 PM   #5 (permalink)
Founder Garage Glamourô

My Mood:

Here are some set out takes, enjoy! rg sends!

Old 03-08-2008, 03:11 PM   #6 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Rolando, those are great to help us understand better. Thank you!

Old 03-08-2008, 09:19 PM   #7 (permalink)
Founder Garage Glamourô

My Mood:

Thanks, and I have a bit more here on it. Thanks, rg.

Old 03-09-2008, 11:48 AM   #8 (permalink)
Vic Naumann

Member GG#: 40216
Comments: 37
My Mood:

Jagdoc is offline IP: 69.138.20.39

Nice to have a big studio and lot's of light, also the experience to set them up to get the beautiful finished image. Very fine work and explanation.

Vic
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Jagdoc Find More Posts by Jagdoc

Old 03-10-2008, 11:48 AM   #9 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 42284
Comments: 0

icuphotography is offline IP: 74.195.185.106

Hi RG.

Curious where the studio was?

Also, I have been very impressed with the glamour style that Esquire is shooting these days. I happened to stumble on to the esquire.com site and was impressed by the work I saw particularly the shoot of Charlize Theron.

Old 03-10-2008, 07:42 PM   #10 (permalink)
Founder Garage Glamourô

My Mood:

Doc Kahn, the location was in Indiana and belonged to the client. On the Esquire issue, I saw it the other day, was cool because it also mentioned "glamour" which means the glamour genre of photography is gaining noteriaty which helps all glamour photographers. Thanks, more soon, buried right now, thanks, rg sends!