Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamourô > Garage Glamourô Main Forums > Main Community Forum

Main Community Forum General Modeling & Photography Forum
Adult posts prohibited!>>Please Read Our GUIDELINES before posting!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Ok, Critique Away...
Old 02-13-2008, 03:58 AM   #1 (permalink)
Founder Garage Glamourô

Member GG#: 1
Comments: 10
My Mood:
Send a message via AIM to rolandogomez

rolandogomez is offline IP: 70.125.157.219

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Ok, I'm helping out with a new site that I've been beta testing the update to the forum system we run here--mainly because it now incorporates a simple portfolio (albums) system that is seamless--and we plan on upgrading G1 once the beta update goes final on the software. I'm also helping tweak the system to tailor to our needs here.

So please, check out the newest, though still in beta, premiere, photography critique site at http://www.shotcritic.com (and it's free to register now for charter members). Thanks, rg sends!
Photographer & Author author of five photography books. My newest book is Socially Smart: Twitter Plus Facebook, Marketing Multipliers And Brand Boosters Click here for My Tweet Workshop Information and the Photo Blog
  View Public Profile Send a private message to rolandogomez Visit rolandogomez's homepage! Find More Posts by rolandogomez

Re: Ok, Critique Away...
Old 02-13-2008, 08:39 AM   #2 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 35411
Comments: 12
My Mood:

photoshooter is offline IP: 67.173.110.63

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Rolando, I tried to register into this new site, but repeatedly the form was rejected. I'm not sure where the problems is, I tried to use the the same username and password as I have on G!, or is it in the verification code which is hazy at times. Ciao!

View Public Profile Send a private message to photoshooter Visit photoshooter's homepage! Find More Posts by photoshooter

Old 02-13-2008, 09:41 AM   #3 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 44127
Comments: 0

RonPatrick is offline IP: 68.57.218.193

Rolando, was just wondering, the main heading says shotcritic but on the bar above the forum it says shotocritic. Was that on purpose, or a typo.

Ron
  View Public Profile Send a private message to RonPatrick Find More Posts by RonPatrick

Old 02-13-2008, 09:44 AM   #4 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 45340

PhotosbyChuck is offline IP: 68.77.146.228

There are literally 60 errors on the homepage, most of which relate to the fact that the page declares itself as XHTML 1.0 Strict, but is not in fact. The document is primarily HTML 4.01 Transitional. If you change the DOCTYPE tag to reflect that and remove the XHTML style end tags, the page will practically be error free.

There are 11 errors and 14 warnings for the CSS being used on the site. Most of these are less severe (most of the warnings relate to the use of the same foreground and background colors).

The "photos" menu link directs me to the forums (same as the "forum" link). Maybe that's as intended, but if that's true, I'd suggest a single button called Forums & Photos rather than 2 separate buttons that go to the same place.

The search function seems to search a very limited portion of the site. Search on the term "the" and only 2 posts are returned. There are several other posts with that word. The search results are returned very strangely. The results appear below the box, but the user is forced back to the top of the page and must scroll back down to see the results on all but the highest of resolutions.

The main page displays, "Sorry, your account does not have access to submit information." at the bottom to public visitors. Better perhaps to display nothing or "Please login to use the Chatterbox" message.

Your keywords don't relate to any content. SEO is probably something you're planning down the road and the terms are just placeholders for now. However, Google is already indexing the site. Keywords that are not found in actual content are ignored.

Not sure if this is the kind of feedback you're looking for or not...so I'll just limit my analysis to the home page and stop right here.

You say you've been helping beta test this site, but I see the domain is owned by "Rolando Gomez Photography" ... is the goal to reach a broader non-glamour audience?
  View Public Profile Visit PhotosbyChuck's homepage! Find More Posts by PhotosbyChuck

Old 02-13-2008, 11:55 AM   #5 (permalink)
Ed Peters

Member GG#: 37945

epeters is offline IP: 139.181.28.34

Won't accept Glamour 1 for referred site??

Old 02-13-2008, 12:10 PM   #6 (permalink)
Founder Garage Glamourô

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonPatrick View Post
Rolando, was just wondering, the main heading says shotcritic but on the bar above the forum it says shotocritic. Was that on purpose, or a typo.

Ron
Thanks, that's called working in the wee hours in the morning with no sleep. Thanks for the typo notification, corrected, thanks, rg.
Photographer & Author author of five photography books. My newest book is Socially Smart: Twitter Plus Facebook, Marketing Multipliers And Brand Boosters Click here for My Tweet Workshop Information and the Photo Blog
  View Public Profile Send a private message to rolandogomez Visit rolandogomez's homepage! Find More Posts by rolandogomez

Old 02-13-2008, 12:12 PM   #7 (permalink)
Founder Garage Glamourô

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by epeters View Post
Won't accept Glamour 1 for referred site??
No referrer is required. What the referrer is meant for is when a registered user refers you, usually using a form from the site, and you'd have to include their exact user name. Just leave it blank for now, thanks, rg.

Old 02-13-2008, 12:16 PM   #8 (permalink)
Founder Garage Glamourô

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by photoshooter View Post
Rolando, I tried to register into this new site, but repeatedly the form was rejected. I'm not sure where the problems is, I tried to use the the same username and password as I have on G!, or is it in the verification code which is hazy at times. Ciao!
John,

ShotCritic.com has nothing to do with Glamour1.com, you have to register as a new user, your G1 username and pw will not work unless you use that to register with over there. It's a new site, totally separate from G1 that I'm helping with so if we like the new upgrade to the way the system works, we'll implement some of that on G1 to make G1 just as easy to use.

We are also waiting on the software to go out of beta before using it on a site this large. However we encourage you register with ShotCritic as the site becomes non-beta, all charter members will have lower id numbers and rewarded in some manner.

Thanks, rg sends!

Old 02-13-2008, 12:17 PM   #9 (permalink)
Founder Garage Glamourô

My Mood:

Chuck,

This is excellent feedback, that's why we're testing the site, perhaps we can use your skills as admin there, thanks, rg sends!

Old 02-13-2008, 12:28 PM   #10 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 55042
My Mood:

RobArtLyn is offline IP: 141.156.174.135

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotosbyChuck View Post
The search function seems to search a very limited portion of the site. Search on the term "the" and only 2 posts are returned. There are several other posts with that word.
Actually, 2 is 2 too many. "The" should be recognized as a stop word in the text and not even indexed for searching. The correct result for that search should be 0.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stop_word
  View Public Profile Send a private message to RobArtLyn Find More Posts by RobArtLyn