Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Main Forums > Main Community Forum

Main Community Forum General Modeling & Photography Forum
Adult posts prohibited!>>Please Read Our GUIDELINES before posting!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Danica Patrick needs a Photographer
Old 02-12-2008, 02:43 PM   #1 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 36482
Comments: 2

lsc1 is offline IP: 74.230.225.31

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

This might belong in the critiques section but I'll put it here for general consumption.

Has anybody checked out the Sports Illustrated website since the swimsuit issue came out today? It's a nice site and I was really interested in seeing Danica Patrick, the hotest Indy Car driver around. What a disappointment in the images. Danica's hot but the photographer made her even hotter - like in lots of hot spots throughout the images. Really bad photography IMO and wondering why they didn't get some G1 guys to shoot her. Check it out.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/fea...anica-patrick/

I hate to critisize a professional but I'm just amazed these look far worse than I would have expected. The lighting is very poor. What do you guys think?

And have fun with the game on the site when you're bored.
http://www.directdaniella.com/?or=SI

"The girlshapedlovedrug messes with my mind." Gomez (the band)
  View Public Profile Send a private message to lsc1 Find More Posts by lsc1
Last edited by lsc1; 02-12-2008 at 02:46 PM.. Reason: Correcting grammar

Re: Danica Patrick needs a Photographer
Old 02-12-2008, 03:24 PM   #2 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 60442
Comments: 0

Eric E is offline IP: 76.219.97.118

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

I was flipping through some of the other models as well and for the money you know SI has got to be putting behind this, some of the photos are (to this newbie's eyes) of shockingly poor quality.

Some have got it (e.g. Paulo Sutch shooting Jeisa Chiminazzo), but some, like the guy shooting Danica, don't (or don't seem to, anyway). I'm not familiar with Ben Watts' work, but given this sample, I wouldn't use him for anything.

At this point (to give him the benefit of the doubt), all I can figure is that his assistant was sick and/or something went horribly wrong with his equipment.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Eric E Find More Posts by Eric E

Old 02-12-2008, 03:25 PM   #3 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 45340

PhotosbyChuck is offline IP: 68.77.146.228

After looking at the shots, I'd agree ... and comment that her makeup could have been better too.

Thanks for the link to the game. Now I can say I've worked with Daniella!

View Public Profile Visit PhotosbyChuck's homepage! Find More Posts by PhotosbyChuck

Old 02-12-2008, 04:00 PM   #4 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 35872
Comments: 41

R_Fredrick_Smith is offline IP: 76.199.124.228

I tried one also, but the reflector boy wasn't doing a very good job. I wonder why they don't allow shooting in Portrait mode? Anywhere here is my shot:

Cheers,
rfs

"The map is not the Territory"
  View Public Profile Send a private message to R_Fredrick_Smith Visit R_Fredrick_Smith's homepage! Find More Posts by R_Fredrick_Smith

Old 02-12-2008, 04:06 PM   #5 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 56870
Comments: 3

BobEdens is offline IP: 74.205.135.50

he is a big fan of shooting at noon, so it seems.

http://www.benwatts.com/

Old 02-12-2008, 05:07 PM   #6 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 60442

Eric E is offline IP: 76.219.97.118

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobEdens View Post
he is a big fan of shooting at noon, so it seems.

http://www.benwatts.com/
After having seen his site, I have to say that very, very few of his images "pop" and draw my eye in. The ones that do make me think he got lucky on those few exposures. Most of his images are just boring, don't engage me, and don't make me want to see any more of his work. Contrast that with many of the images I've seen by the active contributors on this site.

Standard disclaimer: Beauty is in the ... yadda yadda yadda.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Eric E Find More Posts by Eric E

Old 02-12-2008, 06:49 PM   #7 (permalink)
Bawdy Little Monkey

Member GG#: 41173
Comments: 1
Send a message via AIM to SamBeasley Send a message via Yahoo to SamBeasley

SamBeasley is offline IP: 74.225.153.221

I dunno, I didn't think most of the shots of Danica were terrible, just... average (although some of the poses I don't think worked for her). The natural light ones he had there I actually liked better than the strobed ones.

BUT... the stuff on his website, and I guess I'm in the minority here, I actually liked quite a bit. Well, I didn't go through the whole thing, but what I went through I liked...
http://sambeasley.tumblr.com
http://www.lalluredesmots.com
  View Public Profile Send a private message to SamBeasley Visit SamBeasley's homepage! Find More Posts by SamBeasley

Old 02-12-2008, 08:11 PM   #8 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 36482
Comments: 2

lsc1 is offline IP: 65.12.50.125

I dunno Sam, you're the almost professional now and in photography school but not much about the Danica shoot looks as good as several of the top guys here could shoot. In fact, from what I've seen, I think you could have done a much better job than the clown that shot it. His website was better but it didn't make me think - Wow, I can see why SI picked him. I'm guessing he's related to the art director in some way.

OK that was mean and I just hit myself for that but I really am amazed. She is a really pretty gal and the lighting just doesn't give it that sexy edge you know they were shooting for.

"The girlshapedlovedrug messes with my mind." Gomez (the band)
  View Public Profile Send a private message to lsc1 Find More Posts by lsc1

Old 02-12-2008, 11:32 PM   #9 (permalink)
Bawdy Little Monkey

Member GG#: 41173
Comments: 1
Send a message via AIM to SamBeasley Send a message via Yahoo to SamBeasley

SamBeasley is offline IP: 74.225.153.221

Well keep in mind that I did think they were average, and by that I mean... well, I dunno how else to say it, lol. Not awful, but not wonderful, either. Just "meh". They don't make me go "wow", and like I said before, I don't think some of the poses work well for her. Lighting is... average.

LOL, well, I dunno if I'd do any better, but it's nice to dream, right?
http://sambeasley.tumblr.com
http://www.lalluredesmots.com
  View Public Profile Send a private message to SamBeasley Visit SamBeasley's homepage! Find More Posts by SamBeasley

Old 02-13-2008, 08:59 AM   #10 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 55885

dwest is offline IP: 76.251.44.68

Judging from the cover shot:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/fea...ore/cover.html

and the shot from Marisa Miller's gallery:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/fea...-miller_1.html

SI didn't bother to do much processing. If I was lucky enough to be one of the photographers, I'd be a little cheesed.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to dwest Find More Posts by dwest