Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Main Forums > Main Community Forum

Main Community Forum General Modeling & Photography Forum
Adult posts prohibited!>>Please Read Our GUIDELINES before posting!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Piracy ...
Old 02-08-2008, 03:27 PM   #1 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 35872
Comments: 41

R_Fredrick_Smith is offline IP: 76.199.113.233

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

How many of you like to see your photos stolen? I doubt many will say that they do like that unfortunate occurrence. Of course many of us know first hand that it does happen.

This topic emerged as I read a number of posts on several other forums across the Internet. They are all photo related forums, by the way. What I have been seeing often is photographers asking for ways to make illegal copies of Photoshop, or asking for license codes for Photoshop or various plug-ins, etc. I've even gotten private emails from people asking me to send them a copy of a plug-in or program so they can "test it", etc. To some I've responded with links to the trial copy of the product on the manufactures website --- only to get a request later for a license code so they can "really" try it out. Needless to say, they do not get a license code from me.

I've also encountered photographers who've bragged about "cracking" Photoshop or downloading keys from Warez sites, and so forth.

Why is it that some photographers will get upset when people steal their photos but seem to have no qualms about asking for copies of licensed software?

What do you think about this? Is it a double standard? Have you ever been asked to give someone a copy of your software (with install CD or license code, etc)? What about "loaning" a copy of software?

Click for larger version
Piracy ... 

cheers,
rfs

"The map is not the Territory"
  View Public Profile Send a private message to R_Fredrick_Smith Visit R_Fredrick_Smith's homepage! Find More Posts by R_Fredrick_Smith

Re: Piracy ...
Old 02-08-2008, 04:29 PM   #2 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 60442
Comments: 0

Eric E is offline IP: 76.219.97.118

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Quote:
Originally Posted by R_Fredrick_Smith View Post
Why is it that some photographers will get upset when people steal their photos but seem to have no qualms about asking for copies of licensed software?

What do you think about this? Is it a double standard? Have you ever been asked to give someone a copy of your software (with install CD or license code, etc)? What about "loaning" a copy of software?
While I am studying photography by night, by day I am a mild-mannered IT guy for a major metropolitan newspap...oh, wait.

Anyway, as my day job I am the Network Administrator for a mid-sized company. As a part of the tech world for the past 10+ years, I have found that people do this *all the time*. For some it is ignorance, they don't realize that it is illegal. Seriously - and it blows my mind every time.

Most however do it from a "the rules don't apply to me" standpoint that seems to have infected quite a bit of this country. The attitude tends to be either "music/software should be free" or "it's just <insert software package here> from a huge, faceless corporation. They charge too much anyway."

This forces the software manufacturers to waste developer talent implementing draconian activation schemes or layering the software with DRM thus jacking up the price of the software to combat piracy.

I think a big part of the problem is the "all about me" attitude, but that's been with us for as long as we've been around and I doubt it will go away anytime soon.

So to recap the questions from your last two paragraphs:
1)Because people suck. Then again, I'm a cynic and a pessimist in this regard.
2)I don't like it one bit.
3)Oh, it's definitely a double standard, but see number 1 above.
4)Yes, but I get to inform them that I can't because I don't like jail and/or fines.
5)See number 4.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Eric E Find More Posts by Eric E

Old 02-08-2008, 05:48 PM   #3 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 45340

PhotosbyChuck is offline IP: 68.77.144.245

People rationalize things. I usually exceed the speed limit. Most of you probably do too. We figure it's alright because it's a little crime -- we're in a hurry -- the speed limits are too low, whatever. For some, that kind of thinking just extends into other areas. Photoshop is too expensive. Adobe wants too much for it. Whatever the justification. /shrug
  View Public Profile Visit PhotosbyChuck's homepage! Find More Posts by PhotosbyChuck

Old 02-08-2008, 11:26 PM   #4 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 55362

nakins is offline IP: 70.232.38.222

they do t because they can get away with it. No fear of loss, no problem.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to nakins Find More Posts by nakins

Old 02-09-2008, 08:06 PM   #5 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 54742

Zipper7 is offline IP: 67.166.228.133

Lets get the 3rd party person perspective out of this:

I speed.

I occasionally pirate software.

I probably do a lot of other things too that I shouldn't that I'm not even aware of.

Years ago when I was much poorer financially, I was much more prone to pirating software with the justification that there was just no way I could ever afford the hundreds of dollars for many of these software packages out there. My rationalization was that they weren't losing money because there just wasn't any way that I could afford it with my income in the first place.

Now that my income is more comfortable, I pirate very little, mainly because I can afford those software packages now and do indeed feel guilty when I think about pirating. That is probably due in part to the fact that my son writes software and is very sensitive about pirating. I truly wish it was because I was such a noble person though.

But for me, now that I can afford these things, I do find it much more compelling to buy the legitimate things and not face the guilt feelings.

Just true confessions.

Thanks,
Lee
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Zipper7 Find More Posts by Zipper7

Old 02-11-2008, 07:33 PM   #6 (permalink)
Still Learning

Member GG#: 36942
Comments: 1
My Mood:

Bonner is offline IP: 64.60.153.26

I never have nor do I know of anyone wanting to steal my images. The father of two boys into computer stuff, my opinion is that some do it for the challenge and then, bragging rights.

Old 02-12-2008, 02:34 AM   #7 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 37106
Comments: 29
My Mood:

RHWeiner is offline IP: 75.157.223.104

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotosbyChuck View Post
Photoshop is too expensive. Adobe wants too much for it.
Adobe has a deal on right now until Feb.29th. Owners (registered) of Abobe Photoshop Elements versions 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, & 6 can purchase a full blown boxed copy of PS CS3 (otherwise known as PS 10) for US $299. You have to call into the Customer Service number but the procedure is quite painless. They will also ask if you want to buy the printed User Guide for an extra US $12. The package will be sent via FedEx. So all in all, after taxes and shipping my package showed up this morning after ordering on the 7th. of this month for the grand total of $351.47

That was the US price so I'm not sure what actual Canadian dollars that will be on my credit card but as we are hovering around par I figure I'll be paying either a bit more or less. Had this deal been on a year ago or, worse, a couple of years ago when the Canadian dollar was worth 75cents US I know I wouldn't have gone for it. As it was, I just happened to have had the money in the bank (I was saving up for a 40D...that will now have to wait a few more months) and I had earlier bought Elements 6 for 2/3 the retail cost (do searches for good pricing). So taking into account the cost for the Elements package I'm probably up around $425 to $430 invested and garnering 2 programs and a printed manual for PS ...still 1/2 of Retail cost 'off the shelf' for just PS CS3 alone!

Now...I'm Legit!

Richard W.

Old 02-17-2008, 05:33 PM   #8 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 60542

JStasyszen is offline IP: 68.91.130.149

I work in IT too, I have seen a lot of piracy of software music, photo's and just about everything in between. A lot is due to convenience, a lot is a justificational and rational for the extremely high cost of software. Take Microsoft for example, they charge out the wazoo for their office product then charge for support, they tell you the cost is due to research and development while much of this may be true a lot is hogwash. Microsoft like so many others is having a hard time convincing users the cost of R&D is so hign when they are oposting multibillion dollar profit margins, making upper echelon employees millionaires and a few stock holders. People don't mind pirating from a corporation like MS. Then you have RIAA, the recording industry's watch dog going after children and a lot of people who don't even realize they might be breaking the law. Last I heard RIAA has come out and said that downloading music off of a CD you legally purchased to your Ipod or other music player is also illegal and a violation of copyright laws. While corporate America and copyright holders do have rights to do as they choose with their creations the industry watch dogs and obscene profits the corporations are making drive consumers into the rational of justifying their piracy. For photographers, we can at least stamp our works with warings or deterrents. I tend to believe that if they reduced cost to reasonable levels making the items more affordable and unlike MS more reliable then the general public would beless inclined to pirate as in the case of shareware and freeware. There are was the industry can protect itself, try to buy a 14K gold Elvis Presley TCB necklace anywhere and you won't find a dealer/distributor selling it. You can only get it at Graceland and it will be a special order item. As for the double standard, it is a double standard but then, if you buy a software item and it is full of bug who then is creating the double standard. Microsoft posts patches and updates on an almost daily basis, should their update cause a crash and it will cost you 250.00 up front for them to assist you and most of those cases are generally soved by the IT network admin calling in to get help. Over charging for buggy products generates anomosity and piracy, who want to pay 500.00 for a program that will most likely crash on them. It's not a matter of if it will crash but when will it crash because it will. I know it sounds like i am picking on MS... I am, I work with it daily but UNIX and Linux are about as bad. One last word, when was the last time you updated your camera's firmware? Did it have to be updated? If it did was it because on a known issue a bug or some other reason or is your camera perfect and will never need an update because it is impervious to faults.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to JStasyszen Find More Posts by JStasyszen

Old 02-18-2008, 09:55 AM   #9 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 40754
Send a message via AIM to NetMap Send a message via Yahoo to NetMap

NetMap is offline IP: 76.111.62.85

Render unto Cesar that which is Cesar’s, I would like to say I pay for my software because of some great moral internal code, but I pay for my Photoshop and the rest (I just upgraded to CS3 ) to keep my Karma intact. I have been jacked for images like most of us have and 100% of the time the party that jacked the images was not worth taking legal action against So as we say “just charged it to the Game” and moved on.

We can all make excuses as to why jack software because the software is bugy or they make too much money but we have options in our arena , Create the images you want, that done require post processing or pay them.

The software companies take the risk to bring a product to market so they should reap the reward. If adobe goes bankrupt and has a telethon I won’t be sending them any money because they are in BUSINEES to make money