Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Main Forums > Main Community Forum

Main Community Forum General Modeling & Photography Forum
Adult posts prohibited!>>Please Read Our GUIDELINES before posting!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
To make G1 a better place..
Old 01-26-2008, 10:54 AM   #1 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 55362
Comments: 0

nakins is offline IP: 70.232.96.237

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Ok, taking off where another thread was going, what do you all think about trying to find ways to improve the site and forward that to the powers that be.
For example, how about a list of other photography web sites and forums. Now, I don't want to put down or disreguard anyones work or efforts. I'm sure we all know that there is a difference in sellable work and high art and the range of images that falls in between those extremes. I think the quality of work seen on G1 in the last few months hasn't been where it once was when I started to visit. Bare in mind that I haven't even posted anything, not that it would be good. I'm just saying I'm a beginner who wants to jump start his skills. I do so, or try to do so and looking at other's work.

Maybe we can have a 'Best of the web" and have a links to a few photo on other sites. Maybe even a lifted copy of the image, as i think it would fall under fair use for educational purposes. but, a link to it that opens in a new window would work. Then a thread could follow for that image and we could trash it or praise it.

maybe if this idea fails to move you. maybe you can provide a suggestion.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to nakins Find More Posts by nakins

Re: To make G1 a better place..
Old 01-26-2008, 04:49 PM   #2 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 35522

lvthunder is offline IP: 68.104.86.89

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

I don't think it's the quality of the images that are presented here that is the problem. I think the site needs to be tweaked a bit so that it is simpler to use. Someone who spends a lot of time on the internet or who builds web pages can figure it out, but most others have a harder time. So they get frusterated and find somewhere else to hang out. Even if that means taking functionality (that probibly no one uses) away for the sake of simplicity. Now I'm not talking about major changes and I think it would be bad to make major changes.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to lvthunder Visit lvthunder's homepage! Find More Posts by lvthunder

Old 01-26-2008, 05:51 PM   #3 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 35664
Comments: 1
My Mood:

mfharper is offline IP: 63.64.13.28

The old GG site was simple and easy to use. I think they switched to this software in order to make it easier to serve up ads to generate a little income. Unfortunately it is so complicated that nobody knows how to make any changes to it without breaking something. Remember, G1 does not employee professional programmers to run the site.

www.hhphoto.net
  View Public Profile Send a private message to mfharper Visit mfharper's homepage! Find More Posts by mfharper
Last edited by mfharper; 01-26-2008 at 06:17 PM..

Old 01-26-2008, 07:07 PM   #4 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 35872
Comments: 41

R_Fredrick_Smith is offline IP: 76.199.113.233

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfharper View Post
The old GG site was simple and easy to use. I think they switched to this software in order to make it easier to serve up ads to generate a little income. Unfortunately it is so complicated that nobody knows how to make any changes to it without breaking something. Remember, G1 does not employee professional programmers to run the site.
First, the system isn't that hard to use. You just need to pay attention to details and experiment a bit. I wrote an article some time back that basicallly explains how to do most of the portfolio things that most people need

http://www.glamour1.com/forums/artic...io-system.html

As far as comparing GG to G1, you need to read this post:

http://www.glamour1.com/forums/main-...rch#post259646

Cheers,
rfs

"The map is not the Territory"
  View Public Profile Send a private message to R_Fredrick_Smith Visit R_Fredrick_Smith's homepage! Find More Posts by R_Fredrick_Smith

Old 01-26-2008, 08:21 PM   #5 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 35498

NorthC is offline IP: 76.97.185.215

The fact that it takes 7 full screens (my screen) to say how to use the site only proves the point. The site is harder to use. Not that I posted a ton on GG... but now I know that it will be a pain to do anything here so I view and if someone has an interesting post title I check it out... (I paid my lifetime membership so why not check it out, right) other than that why do something on this site that is just more complicated that the other sites...

Sure I could spend some time hands on figuring it out... but how many people will... time has shown that less and less will and they have moved on.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to NorthC Visit NorthC's homepage! Find More Posts by NorthC
Last edited by NorthC; 01-27-2008 at 12:17 AM..

Old 01-26-2008, 08:48 PM   #6 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 55362

nakins is offline IP: 70.232.96.237

Ok, I'll get back under my rock now.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to nakins Find More Posts by nakins

Old 01-27-2008, 12:22 AM   #7 (permalink)
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthC View Post
The fact that it takes 7 full screens (my screen) to say how to use the site only proves the point. The site is harder to use. Not that I posted a ton on GG... but now I know that it will be a pain to do anything here so I view and if someone has an interesting post title I check it out... (I paid my lifetime membership so why not check it out, right) other than that why do something on this site that is just more complicated that the other sites...

Sure I could spend some time hands on figuring it out... but how many people will... time has shown that less and less will and they have moved on.
No, the amount of tutorial material, does not prove its harder, it just shows that some people need more guidance than others. I didn't have any guides when I learned the system, and I had no trouble figuring out how to do things. In fact I've had emails from people telling me how easy it was to add photos to their portfolio and use them after the read the tutorial. Anyone can post photos to their portfolio in about 20 to 30 seconds. That is not a pain! But there is a learning curve to everything. Some will get it fast, others take longer.

Cheers,
rfs

View Public Profile Send a private message to R_Fredrick_Smith Visit R_Fredrick_Smith's homepage! Find More Posts by R_Fredrick_Smith

Old 01-27-2008, 06:09 AM   #8 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 36441
Send a message via Skype™ to bnchrcr

bnchrcr is offline IP: 24.158.141.163

Well, most people have been using the web long enough now to know how most web sites work without requiring a multi-page tutorial. These things should be intuitive. This site is not.

But here's the real bottom line; I used to go to Garage Glamour every single morning over coffee. I'd settle in for half an hour or 45 minutes to read all of the posts from the previous 24 hours. It was always intersting, fun, and I learned a lot. I had a portfolio, and I enjoyed looking at other's portfolios. I was that close to coming up with the funds for a lifetime membership.

Then, the powers in charge decided they needed to fix something that wasn't broken.

Rather than learn this "new and improved" site, most people just got frustrated and left.

Now, I come here maybe once a week, sometimes less often. There are usually no more than three or four new posts. I spend five or ten minutes here and move on. There is no longer enough content here to be worth paying for.

Old 01-27-2008, 09:08 AM   #9 (permalink)
Free Member

Did you read the link I provided in the post your replied to? If so you realize that it wasn't a matter of choice, there was very little choice since the old software was in fact broken and could not be fixed because the original programmer was no longer available to fix it. Like most custom programming jobs, it is very difficult for someone new to come in and fix it.

As for your statement about reading the new posts each day. What could be easier to do than that on the present G1. You come to the site and you click one button (New Posts) and there all the new posts are. Now you click on each one and read it. There wasn't a New Posts option in the old GG, so you had to go to each individual forum and look for the new posts, or the posts that had new items added to them.

Cheers,
rfs

Old 01-27-2008, 02:51 PM   #10 (permalink)
GWC Extraordinaire

Member GG#: 40697
Send a message via MSN to The_Glamour_Spot Send a message via Yahoo to The_Glamour_Spot

The_Glamour_Spot is offline IP: 98.200.128.177

Roger, I respect you as a photographer, a tutorial MASTER and as a G1 contributor...both on G1 and the old GG site, but I have to repectfully disagree about the navigation of the current site. While it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure it out(otherwise I'd be lost within it) it's NOT as easy as many other sites that people can frequent. YOU are very computer proficient...you have proven that over and over again...many of us are not.

When the site changed from GG to G1, I uploaded about 40+ albums. In fact, RG used to refer to MY portfolio as one to look at and use as an example. I continued to build albums because Rolando allowed me to have a bit more space than others. One day I logged on and ALL of my albums were gone...deleted. I never received an email...a reason...nothing...they were just gone. I even emailed you on it and to this day have never got an answer as to what happened. Don't misunderstand, you did reply...promptly...but I was never clear as to what really happened. Hopefully I didn't piss anyone off and I don't think that to be the case as I would have received some sort of correspondance. I don't believe the albums are even an option any longer...maybe they are but I haven't checked into it as it took me quite a while to build what I had and I really didn't want to go through that again...

If the old site was broken and the new format is the way to go, man I understand. And I am not advocating changing the format...it's here and lets work with it...BUT having said that, there have been MANY grumblings about the difficulty of navigating this site. You have gone above and beyond in providing tutorials and threads to assist...The problem is, MANY people simply will not read through tutorials just to be a part of a site...they will just migrate to a much easier one that provides similar content...and there are quite a few to choose from...

All I am getting at is, if there are so many folks that state the site is NOT easy to navigate...maybe someone should take that into consideration rather than add another tutorial....

http://www.bobbygphoto.com
  View Public Profile Send a private message to The_Glamour_Spot Visit The_Glamour_Spot's homepage! Find More Posts by The_Glamour_Spot