Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Main Forums > Main Community Forum

Main Community Forum General Modeling & Photography Forum
Adult posts prohibited!>>Please Read Our GUIDELINES before posting!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
What the heck... Lets talk about OMP!
Old 01-24-2008, 07:29 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member GG#: 35406
Comments: 0

Al_Nowak is offline IP: 68.255.79.102

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

With the new "liberal" attitude toward OMP (See, you can actually see the letters), let's explore a subject I've been thinking about.

Basically, it's this... is there an optimal strategy to attracting models on OMP?

Okay, let's start off assuming you are making reasonably good images, and doing some TFP/TFCD work and looking to attract new models for such work.

One strategy might be to post a lot of images, and if some of them get Showcase tags, leave those posted and replace the others until you have accumulated a page full of Showcase images. Or do Showcase images really help that much in attracting views and hence models?

Another strategy might be to post nothing but nudes... for some reason, nudes seem to draw a lot of views. I can't imagine why...

Then there's the post a lot of everything strategy including cute animals, those travel shots of far off places, lots of kids pix, rock bands, setting sunsets... the whole 9 yards.

Another strategy might be to post only killer images. We all know that some images hit the spot with a lot of viewers, while other equally good images just get passed over.

So whattaya think? If you were trying to attract models, what kind of strategy would you use on OMP? Or is there an optimal strategy at all?

Elvis has left the building...
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Al_Nowak Find More Posts by Al_Nowak

Re: What the heck... Lets talk about OMP!
Old 01-24-2008, 07:52 PM   #2 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 55042
My Mood:

RobArtLyn is offline IP: 138.88.2.253

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al_Nowak View Post
One strategy might be to post a lot of images, and if some of them get Showcase tags, leave those posted and replace the others until you have accumulated a page full of Showcase images. Or do Showcase images really help that much in attracting views and hence models?

Another strategy might be to post nothing but nudes... for some reason, nudes seem to draw a lot of views. I can't imagine why...
You are being redundant. The way to get showcased is to have images with skin, according to everyone that I have spoken with.

The down side to this is that if your images are mostly/all nudes, you will scare away models that think that is all that you do and won't work with you, no matter how good the images, if they aren't interested in doing nudes. (Had that long talk with a couple of models.)

Quote:
Then there's the post a lot of everything strategy including cute animals, those travel shots of far off places, lots of kids pix, rock bands, setting sunsets... the whole 9 yards.
Only if that is what you want to keep doing, but why advertise (it's what you are really doing) services/activities/styles that you aren't interested in doing?

Quote:
Another strategy might be to post only killer images. We all know that some images hit the spot with a lot of viewers, while other equally good images just get passed over.
I think this qualifies as "Duh!". Except for a critique site like this, why would you post any images that weren't your best, no matter what the category?

Quote:
So whattaya think? If you were trying to attract models, what kind of strategy would you use on OMP? Or is there an optimal strategy at all?
From the working models that I have talked to outside of workshops, my strategy at OMP would be... to... um... use the guys whose initials sound like a small, colorful candy from Mars, Inc. instead, because they generally get more return out of their efforts there if they have an account at both and will often let their OMP accounts go stale as a result.

Full disclosure: I don't have an account at either place, but I have spent a lot of time talking to people who do to get their experiences before going ahead myself.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to RobArtLyn Find More Posts by RobArtLyn

Old 01-24-2008, 07:58 PM   #3 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 45340

PhotosbyChuck is offline IP: 68.77.20.84

OMP treated photographers poorly. Now, other sites have taken their place. My OMP strategy is to wish them well.
  View Public Profile Visit PhotosbyChuck's homepage! Find More Posts by PhotosbyChuck

Old 01-24-2008, 08:13 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member GG#: 35406

Al_Nowak is offline IP: 69.208.240.179

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobArtLyn View Post
I think this qualifies as "Duh!". Except for a critique site like this, why would you post any images that weren't your best, no matter what the category?

From the working models that I have talked to outside of workshops, my strategy at OMP would be... to... um... use the guys whose initials sound like a small, colorful candy from Mars, Inc. instead, because they generally get more return out of their efforts there if they have an account at both and will often let their OMP accounts go stale as a result.
I think you missed the point on your Duh comment. Of course you post your best efforts, but even among those, there are images that just click with viewers and get remembered by them a lot longer. While other equally good images seem to get forgotten as soon as they turn the page, skip to the next site, or whatever.

I presume your second comment refers to MM. I have pages at both places and as far as I can tell, MM runs a close but definite second. But that's just my experience. It might be the other photographers are spending a lot of time on the Shout Box or forums, etc., there.

Yes, there does seem to be a bit of skin bias... I don't remember the exact numbers but it's something like a 8 or 9 to 1 ratio for the glamour/nude showcases against the other catagories.

Elvis has left the building...
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Al_Nowak Find More Posts by Al_Nowak

Old 01-24-2008, 08:41 PM   #5 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 36789
Comments: 1
My Mood:
Send a message via Yahoo to ARTFORMS

ARTFORMS is offline IP: 71.12.72.142

Odd as this seems to me, all of my Showcase images on OMP came from pictures of kids, but the overall Showcase awards do go to pictures of nudes by a large margin.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to ARTFORMS Visit ARTFORMS's homepage! Find More Posts by ARTFORMS

Old 01-24-2008, 09:27 PM   #6 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 35872
Comments: 41

R_Fredrick_Smith is offline IP: 76.199.113.233

For the most part all of my models come from "found" models. In other words, you find pretty subjects all over the place that want to model but don't really want to put them selves out there on the OMP type sites or they don't even know about them. You also network with other photographers.
Cheers,
rfs

"The map is not the Territory"
  View Public Profile Send a private message to R_Fredrick_Smith Visit R_Fredrick_Smith's homepage! Find More Posts by R_Fredrick_Smith

Old 01-25-2008, 12:53 AM   #7 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by R_Fredrick_Smith View Post
For the most part all of my models come from "found" models. In other words, you find pretty subjects all over the place that want to model but don't really want to put them selves out there on the OMP type sites or they don't even know about them. You also network with other photographers.
Cheers,
rfs
You sure "found" a pretty one with that avatar of yours. 8>)
  View Public Profile Send a private message to ARTFORMS Visit ARTFORMS's homepage! Find More Posts by ARTFORMS

Old 01-25-2008, 01:31 AM   #8 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 35872
Comments: 41

R_Fredrick_Smith is offline IP: 76.199.113.233

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARTFORMS View Post
You sure "found" a pretty one with that avatar of yours. 8>)
Well, for every exception, there is a rule.

Here is an example of a "found" model (at least at the time).

Click for larger version

Cheers,
rfs

"The map is not the Territory"
  View Public Profile Send a private message to R_Fredrick_Smith Visit R_Fredrick_Smith's homepage! Find More Posts by R_Fredrick_Smith

Old 01-25-2008, 01:41 AM   #9 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by R_Fredrick_Smith View Post
Well, for every exception, there is a rule.

Here is an example of a "found" model (at least at the time).

Cheers,
rfs
I've been lucky enough on some occasions where they have found me, but usually on those modeling and photographer websites. I currently live in small town South Carolina and there just isn't much activity like that here.

Old 01-25-2008, 12:42 PM   #10 (permalink)
Lifetime Amateur

Member GG#: 35246
Comments: 7

jford is offline IP: 144.80.192.130

"So whattaya think? If you were trying to attract models, what kind of strategy would you use on OMP? Or is there an optimal strategy at all?"

Seems to me - not that I have real experience attracting models - that you ought to be asking this of models, not photographers. It's one of those "Mars, Venus" kind of issues - we all know of models who post images of themselves that just aren't very good photos...to us. I suspect that what a photographer thinks of as good promotion may not necessarily be effective at promoting a particular photographer to any given model.

You might try asking this of models who've worked with you. But I tend to think that RFS's approach - be upfront and approach models directly if you want to work with them - is more likely to lead to sessions.