Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Main Forums > Main Community Forum

Main Community Forum General Modeling & Photography Forum
Adult posts prohibited!>>Please Read Our GUIDELINES before posting!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
ELEVEN (11)
Old 01-24-2008, 08:11 AM   #1 (permalink)
GWC Extraordinaire

Member GG#: 40697
Comments: 0
Send a message via MSN to The_Glamour_Spot Send a message via Yahoo to The_Glamour_Spot

The_Glamour_Spot is offline IP: 98.200.128.177

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Eleven...!!

Thats the number of threads yesterday that had A post in it...11...

WOW, a couple of years back there would be 100 posts within the hour....

It's sad that a site that was so much fun to hang out and was such a great learning source, can fall to what G1 has become....

http://www.bobbygphoto.com
  View Public Profile Send a private message to The_Glamour_Spot Visit The_Glamour_Spot's homepage! Find More Posts by The_Glamour_Spot

Re: ELEVEN (11)
Old 01-24-2008, 08:37 AM   #2 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 55592
Send a message via Yahoo to pelowell66

pelowell66 is offline IP: 207.119.45.174

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

I know I'm not much of a poster since I'm still in the learning stage but I have noticed that it is getting slower and slower, I have a couple of shoots coming up in the next few days that I'll post and give you all something to talk about
  View Public Profile Send a private message to pelowell66 Find More Posts by pelowell66

Old 01-24-2008, 11:27 AM   #3 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 35872
Comments: 41

R_Fredrick_Smith is offline IP: 76.199.113.233

Actually I think the way G1 works is better than most of the forums. I don't really like a lot of posts that have very little to do with the focus of the site. I belong to other sites where there are thousands of posts per day and most of the posts are total garbage. Endless rangling about politics and religion, endless posts of photos of their dogs and cats or their latest vacation to Keywest, or what have you. G1 has a sharp focus of glamour photography and we pretty much stay in that arena and subjects very pertinent to how to take the photographs and how to process them and how to sell them. So I'm not sure volume of posts on any given day is a good indicator. And it does vary considerably.

Cheers,
rfs

"The map is not the Territory"
  View Public Profile Send a private message to R_Fredrick_Smith Visit R_Fredrick_Smith's homepage! Find More Posts by R_Fredrick_Smith

Old 01-24-2008, 11:46 AM   #4 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 55764
My Mood:

BenE is offline IP: 216.167.157.165

I agree R Fredrick. As in other areas of "life" or business, sometimes quality is better than quantity. At least there appear to be varied opinions and thoughts here, and not just "atta boy" comments.

And no one seems to be (too) offended if some negative points are made about an image, as is the case of many forums. As long as those comments are in the spirit of learning I appreciate most of what I see here.

I am not sure what Bobby thinks G1 has become.

I am always hesitant to even mention other forums (on another one), and will not do so by name, but when underexposed, off color, poorly composed images are touted and praised just because the person likes the maker of that image personally, to me that is when a forum can become useless.

For the record, and so ther is no misunderstanding, I am NOT referring to any forum Bobby is connected with.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to BenE Visit BenE's homepage! Find More Posts by BenE

Old 01-24-2008, 12:27 PM   #5 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 53661
Comments: 2

colt is offline IP: 70.145.101.109

That's 'cause we're all over reading Kiss M...

Uhhh...

Never mind...

:-)
  View Public Profile Send a private message to colt Visit colt's homepage! Find More Posts by colt

Old 01-24-2008, 01:18 PM   #6 (permalink)
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenE View Post
I agree R Fredrick. As in other areas of "life" or business, sometimes quality is better than quantity. At least there appear to be varied opinions and thoughts here, and not just "atta boy" comments.

And no one seems to be (too) offended if some negative points are made about an image, as is the case of many forums. As long as those comments are in the spirit of learning I appreciate most of what I see here.

I am not sure what Bobby thinks G1 has become.

I am always hesitant to even mention other forums (on another one), and will not do so by name, but when underexposed, off color, poorly composed images are touted and praised just because the person likes the maker of that image personally, to me that is when a forum can become useless.

For the record, and so there is no misunderstanding, I am NOT referring to any forum Bobby is connected with.
I believe I know which forum you are talking about. If it is, I have seen there a whole group of photographers (well that is what they call themselves) that consistently post bad photographs (poorly composed, lit, cropped, etc) and yet they get praises and react very violently when critiqued. I stopped critiquing photos on that site years ago.

Cheers,
rfs

View Public Profile Send a private message to R_Fredrick_Smith Visit R_Fredrick_Smith's homepage! Find More Posts by R_Fredrick_Smith

Old 01-24-2008, 03:48 PM   #7 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 45340

PhotosbyChuck is offline IP: 68.77.20.84

I agree with the quantity over quality I see here. The winter usually brings a bit of a slow down in new photos -- maybe this year we're a bit slower than normal.

But we all have a bit different take on G1. Guys like you, Bobby that post great images and don't need any technical advice probably just come for the conversation and sometimes inspiration from other's work. I see your images -- and the images of people like you: Jimmy, Dolph, Francois and really don't have anything to offer in terms of real C&C. Since all of your images are good, I have to reserve my "great shot" posts for the best of what you put up or you'll think I'm farming post count!

I try to post what I think adds value -- and I think I have many times done that well (recently helping someone understand studio lighting) and sometimes apparently miss the mark totally (like my Salvage II thread that went no where). But in neither case do I offer anything that the pros on this site can call new.

Maybe all I can do for someone at your level on a forum is say thanks every so often -- your posts are certainly appreciated. But if there's something else I can do to make sure you get some value out of G1, please let me know -- I'd be happy to give something back.
  View Public Profile Visit PhotosbyChuck's homepage! Find More Posts by PhotosbyChuck

Old 01-24-2008, 04:11 PM   #8 (permalink)
Free Member

I liked your Salvage II post, but it all depends on the day that you post something and what forum you put it in. Sometimes helpful posts are better judged by how many people view them rather than how many respond. Of course it always helps to get some response.
Cheers,
rfs

Old 01-24-2008, 04:31 PM   #9 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 46127

PhotosByDolph is offline IP: 24.30.16.173

Quote:
Originally Posted by R_Fredrick_Smith View Post
I have seen there a whole group of photographers (well that is what they call themselves) that consistently post bad photographs (poorly composed, lit, cropped, etc) and yet they get praises and react very violently when critiqued. I stopped critiquing photos on that site years ago.
Cheers,
rfs
Yes, exactly, right on.

There is nothing wrong with trying and making mistakes, however, you must LEARN from them to become successful.

I myself got tired of critiquing posted photos because the photographer took offense to my suggestion. Ya know what..."Then learn it yourself" I will not pat you on the back if it looks like ****.

A novice photographer told me the other day that his new years resolution was to really learn multiple creative lighting.
First of all, I told him that he could spend an afternoon on the internet and could learn anything he wants... It's public record on how to set up a (4) light gig.
BUT you have to practice it. Just like playing a guitar. Spend a little money and go to one of the many fine workshop available out there. (Insert Rolondo plug here) And shoot pretty girls with pro makeup and great instructors to help you out.

Then he really freaked out when I told him that he will have to take his $5000.00 digital SLR and move the switch OFF of PROGRAM.

But getting to the actual topic. For me, I am pretty busy as a steady gig. And I'm sure many of you are as well. On rare occasions when I have time, (like the past holidays) I will post some recent photos. I come back to the page on occasion to discuss any questions or suggestions that others have replied to my recent post.
Sometimes, I get a little winded when I explain and others are not as long.

I LOVE the questions like "Why didn't you do this?" or "That looks stupid"
Then I can answer with "I never thought of that...great idea or yea, it looks pretty stupid...that is why I posted here to get input first."

Also, the fact that at one time Garage or G1 was new, around the time when professional digital photography was affordable to the public. And most of us knew or knew of each other. We all grew up with our cameras together, trading info and new photoshop techniques.

Could it be that the most of us here have been here long enough to where the posts replies are simply "WoW" or "Cool"

Bobby, I have known you for years, (remember when I asked you where my ON button was on my light meter? haha) but I see a post of yours and I KNOW it is going to be some super hot model with impeccable makeup, expert lighting and creative cropping.

There is nothing left to say but "WoW" or "Cool"

However, back in the day, I would of written a whole dissertation comment asking you how you did it.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to PhotosByDolph Visit PhotosByDolph's homepage! Find More Posts by PhotosByDolph

Old 01-24-2008, 07:01 PM   #10 (permalink)

Member GG#: 35406

Al_Nowak is offline IP: 68.255.79.30

Quote:
Originally Posted by R_Fredrick_Smith View Post
I don't really like a lot of posts that have very little to do with the focus of the site.

G1 has a sharp focus of glamour photography and we pretty much stay in that arena and subjects very pertinent to how to take the photographs and how to process them and how to sell them.
A little word play there?

Elvis has left the building...
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Al_Nowak Find More Posts by Al_Nowak