Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamourô > Garage Glamourô Main Forums > Main Community Forum

Main Community Forum General Modeling & Photography Forum
Adult posts prohibited!>>Please Read Our GUIDELINES before posting!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Studio Equipment Help
Old 01-02-2008, 09:40 AM   #1 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 58572
Comments: 0

smtalha is offline IP: 90.205.62.135

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Hi Guys & Happy New Year to all!

Till now Ive been practising photography using a set of 3 redhead 800w lights something used in video photography.

Im planning to purchase studio flash lighting kit with softbox at affordable rates.

I want your help:
1. what should be the minimum spec for a decent softbox that will allow me to do portrait photography etc (ive never worked with softboxes)

2. what should be the minimum spec for a decent flash lighting kit (60w, 105w, 125w, 250w, 350w, 400w) there are so many of them I dont know which one will be just about right for me as I want it to practise on. Why should I choose 60w and when should I go for 400w?

Thanks.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to smtalha Find More Posts by smtalha

Re: Studio Equipment Help
Old 01-02-2008, 09:53 AM   #2 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 45340

PhotosbyChuck is offline IP: 68.77.20.84

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

We really need to know your budget to offer the best advice.

Those wattages seem REALLY low. I don't think I've ever seen a 60W strobe. Are those wattages for video lamps?

Without knowing more, I'd suggest that 400W is a bare minimum to give you some room. You can dial the power down, but you can never dial it past max! I use a 1200 watt pack with my Speedotron gear (allowing me to vary my lights individually up to 1200 watts combined). I also have 3 Whitelightning monolights at 800 "effective watts" each. For indoor portraits, I have all the power I need. If you intend to shoot outside much, my setup would be underpowered for you.
  View Public Profile Visit PhotosbyChuck's homepage! Find More Posts by PhotosbyChuck

Old 01-02-2008, 11:07 AM   #3 (permalink)
Free Member

thanks for your response chuck.
as mentioned im totally new to the flash photogarohy system but i was browsing on one of the retailers of photographic equipmentsd and came across 60w-400w flash kits (http://www.smick.co.uk/sonline/index...ewCat&catId=27)

currently i use continious studio light of 800w but i find it very hard to control and the light gets scattered all over the place.

another thing:
what is the major differnece between lets say a 1200w flashlight and an 800w redhead continious light in the context of studio photography. i mean why would a photographer wana go for one over the other?

thanks
  View Public Profile Send a private message to smtalha Find More Posts by smtalha
Last edited by smtalha; 01-02-2008 at 11:55 AM..

Old 01-02-2008, 12:01 PM   #4 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 35872
Comments: 41

R_Fredrick_Smith is offline IP: 76.199.112.37

The little 60ws units are basically toys. They have no modeling lights and so you can't see what you're shooting. You're much better off to consider no less that 400ws with variable power.

As to light scattered all over from your current units, that has nothing to do with the WS or power, but rather how you are using the lights. If you bounce a light into an umbrella for example, then it tends to be scattered all over. When you buy a softbox or other more controlled light modifier, you'll be able to direct the light to exactly where you want it. You can also use gobos, scrims, reflectors, bookends, etc to block light from falling where you don't want it. One of the marks of a better photographer is their ability to control the lights they are using. This takes practice and experimentation. You might want to look into a good book on lighting. Search Amazon for "photographic lighting" for many choices.

Here is one example of a softbox and a flag or bookend set up to block the light from hitting the background behind the model.

As far as minimum size, I would say no less than 36" x 24" to start. But bigger is better --- you can always move the softbox or put a grid or mask on it to control how big a light source it is.

You can also build your own softboxes. Here is a link to Dean Collins Tinkertube book:

http://www.software-cinema.com/tinkertubes/tt-book.pdf

Cheers,
rfs

"The map is not the Territory"
  View Public Profile Send a private message to R_Fredrick_Smith Visit R_Fredrick_Smith's homepage! Find More Posts by R_Fredrick_Smith

Old 01-02-2008, 12:40 PM   #5 (permalink)
LivingINDaytona

Member GG#: 35280
Send a message via AIM to JaysonFromMaine Send a message via Yahoo to JaysonFromMaine

JaysonFromMaine is offline IP: 65.1.4.224

As you are in London .. I would look in to Bowen's .. They have packs and mono systems...
  View Public Profile Send a private message to JaysonFromMaine Visit JaysonFromMaine's homepage! Find More Posts by JaysonFromMaine

Old 01-02-2008, 01:28 PM   #6 (permalink)
Free Member

Watts <> Light
Most consumers (and therefore manufacturers....and therefore consumers....it's a snow-balling thing) are overly concerned with watts. Watts are a measure of power, not light. In other words, watts are a measure of how much electricity is being used. Some of that energy is converted to visible light, but also some is converted to heat and perhaps light outside the visible spectrum.

Lumens = Light
Lumens is a measure of how much light is being output. Lumens delivered by a bulb at a set wattage varies greatly. The average 100 watt incandescent light bulb here in the US emits approximately 1,700 lumens, while a 100 watt sodium vapor lamp emits around 15,000 lumens. For the same 100 watts, the sodium vapor (used in parking lots and street lights) is many times brighter. It unfortunately is not a very good color light for photography, however!

For continuous bulbs, the measure is pretty easy -- but for flash bulbs, there is a duration to factor into things. If a flash stobe burns 330 watts in 0.5 seconds, it might be rated by the manufacturer as an 660 wattsecond lamp. Factor in its efficiency at converting that power into visible light and it could well be as bright as the average "800 watt" flash head and therefore the manufactuer will label it as 800 "effective watts" (A term that causes very long threads!)

In short, if you're interested in a specific application of light that's measured in lumens not watts. Photographers (and manufacturers) should be more focused on lumens or lumen seconds as a measure of light output. That would let us compare lights directly.

10,000 Lumens Is What F-stop?
While lumens are perfect for comparing the amount of visible light output, they're not useful for photography directly. But what we really need to know is the f-stop equivalents. This brings up a photo scenario for which there is no standard test...although you can set up a test yourself. Place the same size and shape light modifiers on 2 lights and measure them using the same meter from the same distance.

Mounted in a medium-sized softbox, my X800 set 6 feet from the meter reads f/16. That's the most useful measure of all -- and it assures me that the light has enough power at 6 feet or less to cover whatever f-stop I may need.

Some manufacturers will provide f-stop ratings of their lights at a given distance with specific modifiers, but not many do. If you live close to a large reseller, you may be able to conduct your own test for free or better yet, rent the lights and see if you like them before you buy!

Other Thoughts
Despite my ramblings, I think a lot of photographers will tell you they don't worry too much about watts outside of special applications. Good news is, they're getting great photos with what they have. Just as many will tell you there are things to consider other than power ratings, like how portable are they? How much to replacement bulbs cost? How durable are the housings? How loud is the fan .. what, it doesn't have a fan!?

That's why I'd suggest renting lights a few times to see what works for you. You can often rent studio time cheaply and the photographer that owns the studio should be willing to chat with you about his gear.

Good luck!

-----

Note, lumens ratings sourced from Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lumen_(unit)
  View Public Profile Visit PhotosbyChuck's homepage! Find More Posts by PhotosbyChuck

Old 01-02-2008, 06:34 PM   #7 (permalink)
Free Member

RFS: the link uve sent me it amazing! and unbelivable. Ill definetely try out the page 16 stuff! lets hope it work.
the softbox uve on the pic above is a full size softbox right et that cost at least £500 ($1000)

this is the continious light that i have at present http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/110V-800w-Cont...QQcmdZViewItem

but i was thinking of getting the cheaper version of softlight http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Photography-Po...QQcmdZViewItem
and i would use four 105w flourescent lights to achive the minimum 400w requirement. and to control the light id use a softbox

Chuck: interesting stuff. ur right about the wattage stuff its to do with power consumption rather than how much light its emitting.

Jayson: well its all about budget isnt it! if one has the money at disposal then one can buy anything. but thats boring to be honest. its fun when one doesnt have money at disposal and one achives something big

Old 01-02-2008, 07:43 PM   #8 (permalink)
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by smtalha View Post
...and i would use four 105w flourescent lights to achive the minimum 400w requirement....

...the wattage stuff its to do with power consumption rather than how much light its emitting...
These two things are not in agreement unless your goal is to burn power at the rate of 400w regardless of the type of lamps you use!

Fluorescent bulbs vary hugely in the lumens output. A quick Google search indicates that it might vary from 5,000 - 10,000 lumens depending on the manufacturer. I've never tried the fluorescent approach -- I suspect you'll need to be concerned with color cast and shifts over the life of the bulbs, but no idea there.

Good news is, those are cheap bulbs so you can buy and test to see how many you'd need to get the f/stop you want.

Old 01-03-2008, 12:56 AM   #9 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 35872
Comments: 41

R_Fredrick_Smith is offline IP: 76.199.112.37

RG has from time to time shown a sort of ring shop light at his workshops and we also have one in the Dallas area that one of the photographers made. It uses 4 of the cheap shop lights which each have 2 40watt bulbs. Here a photo of the one RG sets up:

So this gives you 320 watts of light. If you use daylight balanced bulbs then you get consistent color over the life of the bulb which is 1000's of hours. You can also turn off any of the four banks for different effects.

Here is an example shot:

Click for larger version

As far as softboxes, I bought a 4' x 3' box on eBay from Amvona and it was not only heavy duty but is usable with hots lights and came with louvers and 3 masks and cost about $100 with shipping. It is made by a company in Europe so they can probably be bought in the UK.

Cheers,
rfs

"The map is not the Territory"
  View Public Profile Send a private message to R_Fredrick_Smith Visit R_Fredrick_Smith's homepage! Find More Posts by R_Fredrick_Smith

Old 01-03-2008, 08:43 AM   #10 (permalink)
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by R_Fredrick_Smith View Post
So this gives you 320 watts of light.
I have failed, haven't I?