Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Main Forums > Main Community Forum

Main Community Forum General Modeling & Photography Forum
Adult posts prohibited!>>Please Read Our GUIDELINES before posting!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
I am Blessed
Old 01-01-2008, 09:32 PM   #1 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 47214
Comments: 0

photojim06 is offline IP: 24.29.217.117

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

After reading RG post from 12/25 and tears rolling down my face and not even realizing it. I looked across the table and watched my 3 yr old Brooke playing with her PlayDoh and it dawned on me how blessed I really am! I too am a Vet (USMC) IM one of the lucky ones that came home alive and all my members in tact. I think of all the men in my Unit (STA Platoon 25th Marines Brook Park Ohio HQCO) That were ambushed in killed in Iraq. the same men I shared jokes with, shared many of weekends in drill, many of beers with that are no longer here. I wasnt there the day they were all killed only because I was injured in a training excersise. I wish they too could be here today and watch there children play! Yes sir IM blessed. IM ashamed That I could even let myself get down and depressed on some days! I swore I would be a better person because I was given a chance at life. I ask you in in 2008 when you are down or things arent going your way to look around you at what you have. If you have children, a wife, parents, a job, a roof over your head, and food on the table. Thank your god for what you have. Hug and cheerish your loved ones because you too are truely blessed!

God Bless and I wish you the best for 2008!

Jim
  View Public Profile Send a private message to photojim06 Visit photojim06's homepage! Find More Posts by photojim06

Re: I am Blessed
Old 01-02-2008, 02:47 PM   #2 (permalink)
Pro Shooter

Member GG#: 38375
Comments: 2

jimmyd is offline IP: 75.23.179.246

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Those are the things--family, security, a home, health--that are blessings. Anything and everything beyond that is a bonus. The outpouring of support for our troops is overwhelmingly wonderful, even from those who oppose the politicians' decisions. The only war in the last century--WWs 1 & 2, Korea, Desert Storm, even Grenada and Panama--where troops didn't experience this kind of support was the Viet Nam War. Something like 55,000 young soldiers killed and many more injured: physically, psychologically, and emotionally. There should be a "Hug a Viet Nam Era Vet Day," or something like that.

My NSFW blog
: http://prettygirlshooter.blogspot.com
  View Public Profile Send a private message to jimmyd Visit jimmyd's homepage! Find More Posts by jimmyd

Old 01-02-2008, 03:06 PM   #3 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 45340

PhotosbyChuck is offline IP: 68.77.20.84

I was born during the Vietnam war and have uncles that served in combat there. I'll come back to that in a second...

I also have close relatives (most now past) that served in WW2. As teenager they'd tell me stories about what they did, places they'd been. Some were in the USMC, others Navy or Army...some in the Pacific while others in Europe -- but regardless of where or how they served their stories always had a common thread. They weren't stories glorifying war -- but rather a point of pride with them. They did something good because it had to be done, costly and hard as it was to do. Those that survived told the stories of those that did not and have lived out their lives participating in reunions and such until they died or so many of their buddies had that it just didn't make sense to get together -- for 50 years after WW2 ended.

But my uncles that served in Vietnam don't talk about it at all. We (as a country) have robbed them of their rightful place as heroes. They don't even keep in touch with others they fought alongside -- or they do it in secret. We've made them feel like they have to hide their service and that's a sad thing. Sad not only for them, but sad for some future generation -- because if they're successful in hiding it, history is bound to eventually repeat itself.

I look at my cousin...the Army just "allowed" him to retire this year after serving in both Desert Shield and Desert Storm. He has returned to a broken family and the challenge of reintegrating himself into a civilian workforce. The last thing he needs is someone questioning why he was there.

Questioning the call is acceptable. Questioning those that answer it is not.

Here's to all the vets that served. Thanks.
  View Public Profile Visit PhotosbyChuck's homepage! Find More Posts by PhotosbyChuck

Old 01-02-2008, 07:57 PM   #4 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 55362

nakins is offline IP: 70.232.36.18

I'm not a vet. I would say to you, however, never feel ashamed by what you feel. Never feel that it is wrong to feel depressed. Holidays suck for people who have to battle depression of any kind. I've been depressed myself for several months. If you can, try to channel your energy in to your art or craft. Most of us want to take shots of good looking girls, naked ones if we can. But photography can be creative and an outlet for your expression, with or with naked girls. Here's to you and all of us and hope we all get that perfect shot.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to nakins Find More Posts by nakins

Old 01-03-2008, 12:00 AM   #5 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 47214

photojim06 is offline IP: 24.29.217.117

Quote:
Originally Posted by nakins View Post
. Most of us want to take shots of good looking girls, naked ones if we can. But photography can be creative and an outlet for your expression, with or with naked girls. Here's to you and all of us and hope we all get that perfect shot.
For me I just wanna take great photo's. Whether its of an assingment, my children, or portraits of people I dont even know. I just wanna be the best! after leaving the Marines I spent 16 years in Lawenforcement and hid my passion for photography. I know now that being great at his craft is what I want more than anything else I have ever wanted.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to photojim06 Visit photojim06's homepage! Find More Posts by photojim06

Old 01-03-2008, 07:32 PM   #6 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 41234

CharlieWI is offline IP: 75.121.149.22

I have come across these types of post for a few years now and have always managed to avoid any response on my part. That is until this one for some reason. I think maybe because I have had just enough of it.

I feel for the OP. I know his pain and the feelings it brings. I understand his thought and the upsetting conclusions that are drawn from some of them. What maybe is not understood is that those thoughts and feeling have been carried by many before him and are still a constant companion today. While I feel that anyone who has faced conflicts such as warfare carries those burdens in various degree, the Viet Nam Vet carries the biggest burdens. My feelings are that is because we didn't share our stories to the common person or even another Vet that didn't expereince the same thing and maybe not even the ones who have.

It seems that JimmyD has some understanding. I'm sure many others do to but only if they expereinced what it was like. Not just the conflict but the reactions to it. Imagine the feelings when you return from what you strongly feel is your duty to your country and being spit at/on, sworn at and called baby killers, have drinks and food thrown at you, or just have your uniform degraded in public with no one taking a stance for you. Who were you going to share your tales with? Anything going public then was mostly twisted with untruths and colors that war was not.

by jimmyd
Quote:
There should be a "Hug a Viet Nam Era Vet Day," or something like that.
This is probably the reason I replied to this particular thread. I hope I never see anything like that. I am tired of all the "we should now thank the Viet Nam Vet." Don't bother with this one. Too little way too late. I have managed for this long that I couldn't take something that isn't real. The thank yous are not real, they are reaction to something current and you get to be politically correct. Screw the politically correctivness of today.

These post also make me remember. I really don't want to. I like forgetting. I was a medic. I really don't want to remember. I speak about it to no one and no one even ask me any more. To talk about it would be to remember. No thank you. Unfortunently, by not speaking I can't mention that I met some of the greatest, most heroic, funniest, unselfish, talented, considerate, and kindest people I have ever met in my life during those days.

by PhotosbyChuck
Quote:
But my uncles that served in Vietnam don't talk about it at all. We (as a country) have robbed them of their rightful place as heroes. They don't even keep in touch with others they fought alongside -- or they do it in secret.
We didn't want to be heros even though there were certainly many of them. We just wanted to do our duty and then come home and become part of the great American Society. That sure didn't happen.

You were right about not talking to even each other about it. Sit in a VFW or American Legion. You won't hear any conversations abot the Viet Nam War. Some about RR in Bankok or what was happening in the major cities. Maybe some about how the US is letting way to much material from Viet Nam in now or how this or that person will never buy anything produced in Viet Nam. The war itself is a nontopic.

My Father served in the South Pacific asigned to a SeaBee unit during WWII. He kept great records. Kept a large amount of pictures. Took great pride in his service to his country. Spoke freely of his service to anyone who would listen and to be honest I never remember anyone not being interested or worse yet someone calling him names because of it. I do think that anyone doing that would have had some rather great problems with their physical well being.

So, I would just like to forget the past. God Bless the military man and woman and their families. May they stay safe and be victorious in their quest for peace. May they be able to carry out their duties they received the finest training for without interferance from any political being or party. They are the American Military and they know how to get the job done if allowed to.

Thanks for letting me vent. If I missspelled any words, sorry but I can live with it hopefully you can too.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to CharlieWI Find More Posts by CharlieWI

Old 01-03-2008, 08:14 PM   #7 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 45340

PhotosbyChuck is offline IP: 68.77.20.84

Thanks for the comments, Charlie. I can imagine it's hard to write a response when you just want to forget.

Sometimes we may not get our words right, but there are many Americans while too young to welcome you home when you returned, now try teach our own sons and daughters to respect your service and the service of those to come. We owe you that.
  View Public Profile Visit PhotosbyChuck's homepage! Find More Posts by PhotosbyChuck

Old 01-03-2008, 09:35 PM   #8 (permalink)
Pro Shooter

Member GG#: 38375
Comments: 2

jimmyd is offline IP: 75.23.179.246

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieWI View Post

This is probably the reason I replied to this particular thread. I hope I never see anything like that. I am tired of all the "we should now thank the Viet Nam Vet." Don't bother with this one. Too little way too late. I have managed for this long that I couldn't take something that isn't real. The thank yous are not real, they are reaction to something current and you get to be politically correct. Screw the politically correctivness of today.
There was as much sarcasm and cynicism in my "Hug a Viet Nam Vet" thing as there was a sincere statement about America's (continuing) negative treatment of those who served during the Viet Nam War years. I say "continuing" cuz, if you're aware of some of the president's (and his administration's) policies and actions regarding the VA -- specifically, VA health benefits which effect so many Viet Nam Era vets -- you know what I'm talking about. Your attitude that anything now would be "too little too late" is right on the money. Altho money itself might not be something that is "too late," albeit it would still probly be "too little."

jD
USAF 1968-72

My NSFW blog
: http://prettygirlshooter.blogspot.com
  View Public Profile Send a private message to jimmyd Visit jimmyd's homepage! Find More Posts by jimmyd

Old 01-04-2008, 10:41 PM   #9 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 59512
Comments: 1

SFJ Photography is offline IP: 67.41.164.154

I just wanted to say thanks to Photojim. This last year sucked in a big way & I kinda lost sight of what mattered. Between struggling with bills because I lost half of my paycheck after having to move to friggin UTAH! Thank You Air Force and your POS F-22!!!! And trying to re-establish some kind of business here in Ogden (I have since quit trying. I'll wait for my next base where hopefully I run into fewer flakes) I managed to get side tracked into a bunch of trivial crap. So I wish everyone the best in 08' and hopfully some new orders to anywhere else PLEASE!! I'll even do a Korea extended long tour!
  View Public Profile Send a private message to SFJ Photography Find More Posts by SFJ Photography