Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Main Forums > Main Community Forum

Main Community Forum General Modeling & Photography Forum
Adult posts prohibited!>>Please Read Our GUIDELINES before posting!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Baggage Ban on Some Batteries Begins Jan. 1st, 2008
Old 12-29-2007, 10:27 AM   #1 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 35411
Comments: 12
My Mood:

photoshooter is offline IP: 67.173.110.63

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

I don't know whether this is a surprise to many of you, but it is to me. Seems like Dept of Transportation suddenly announced that loose batteries present a potential fire hazzard in the cargo space of an airplane and an existing fire suppression is not enough to put out such fire. Those of us who fly to distant photo shoots with a dozen or two batteries may have a problem now. You can read more about it on the link provided: http://tech.yahoo.com/news//ap/20071...tteries_travel

Pictured is Angelic Marcia, you can see more of her on the Midwest page of my site (www.photoshooter.net}

View Public Profile Send a private message to photoshooter Visit photoshooter's homepage! Find More Posts by photoshooter

Re: Baggage Ban on Some Batteries Begins Jan. 1st, 2008
Old 12-29-2007, 12:08 PM   #2 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 45671
Comments: 0

gaborm is offline IP: 70.253.191.10

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

I have 4 batteries. 2 in each grip. They last anywhere between 1-2 days.
Then I recharge them. I just don't see the need to fly with a dozen batteries, unless you're flying somewhere, where you'll be doing an extended amount of hiking and camping. Plus I think the ban is more for laptop batteries than harmless camera batteries.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to gaborm Find More Posts by gaborm

Old 12-29-2007, 01:47 PM   #3 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 35411
Comments: 12
My Mood:

photoshooter is offline IP: 67.173.110.63

You're absolutely right about those laptop lithium battereis. The first article I read didn't quite make it clear. I did a little research after I made the post and found that main concern is over those specific kind of batteries. Double AA batteries also have a fire potential if packed loosely with combustible material nearby. Here is the link to the actual demonstration how multicelled lithium batteries can cause havoc and be danderous on a plane. Click on this: http://youtube.com/watch?v=QJCZ4ayioCU&feature=related

View Public Profile Send a private message to photoshooter Visit photoshooter's homepage! Find More Posts by photoshooter

Old 12-29-2007, 04:37 PM   #4 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 35872
Comments: 41

R_Fredrick_Smith is offline IP: 76.199.113.233

Here is another link (the one from the US government) that gives more specific details:

http://safetravel.dot.gov/whats_new_batteries.html

We've been discussing this quite a bit on a large camera group that I moderate. Here is one thing I noted on that list:

"The problem, as always, will be with how the security people choose to interpret the rules (especially early on). Its the person on the spot that will "make the rule" for a while. That means you have to take all precautions you can. If you have more than 2 batteries (loose), then have a backup plan for what will happen if the security person says you can't take the extra batteries beyond 2. What will you do with them at that time (throw them away? - etc)."

So early on one might want to err on the side of caution.

Note: If the battery is installed in a "device" then apparently that does not involk the limit. So any device that could be rigged up to accept a battery of the type you use would be a possible loop hole (or even one of the battery pack/grip things).

Cheers,
rfs

"The map is not the Territory"
  View Public Profile Send a private message to R_Fredrick_Smith Visit R_Fredrick_Smith's homepage! Find More Posts by R_Fredrick_Smith

Old 12-31-2007, 12:40 PM   #5 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 43052

gumshoe is offline IP: 68.40.175.111

I have seen some of these batteries fail and they are always being charged when they fail. But lets not forget that they are restricting these for the best reason of all.....our safety.

Happy New Year Everyone!
  View Public Profile Send a private message to gumshoe Find More Posts by gumshoe

Old 12-31-2007, 04:02 PM   #6 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 45340

PhotosbyChuck is offline IP: 68.77.20.84

Quote:
Originally Posted by R_Fredrick_Smith View Post
Note: If the battery is installed in a "device" then apparently that does not involk the limit. So any device that could be rigged up to accept a battery...
Wonderful, so the limit doesn't apply to a device designed to deliberately short-circuit a battery? There's my tax dollars at work!
  View Public Profile Visit PhotosbyChuck's homepage! Find More Posts by PhotosbyChuck

Old 12-31-2007, 05:30 PM   #7 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 35872
Comments: 41

R_Fredrick_Smith is offline IP: 76.199.113.233

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotosbyChuck View Post
Wonderful, so the limit doesn't apply to a device designed to deliberately short-circuit a battery? There's my tax dollars at work!
I was thinking more of a device like a small battery tester that tests the voltage of a battery. It would need to be a small device a little bigger than the battery that you put the battery in and if you push a button a led would turn green if the battery had a good charge. This means you could have several of these devices, one for each "loose" battery.
Cheers,
rfs

"The map is not the Territory"
  View Public Profile Send a private message to R_Fredrick_Smith Visit R_Fredrick_Smith's homepage! Find More Posts by R_Fredrick_Smith