Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Main Forums > Main Community Forum

Main Community Forum General Modeling & Photography Forum
Adult posts prohibited!>>Please Read Our GUIDELINES before posting!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
End of year... some odds and ends
Old 12-22-2007, 03:10 AM   #1 (permalink)

Member GG#: 35406
Comments: 0

Al_Nowak is offline IP: 68.255.61.172

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

How are you doing on your New Year's resolutions? No, not the new 2008 ones, the ones you made in January of 2007.

I'm happy to say I've managed to keep all of mine, so far... not a single shot this year of a model within 2 feet of a toilet, no panty hooked on high heel shots, and no wet hair flipped over model's head forming a water droplet arc...

Been watching The Shot on VH1? Bunch of photographers "competing" for a spread in Marie Claire magazine and $100,000. Last show of this season is this Sunday at 10 PM on VH1. It's a Victoria's Secret type shoot in Hawaii.

Unfortunately, the producers really play up the personality conflicts to provide something of interest to the audience.

I found the fashion shoot episode with Joss Stone to be the most interesting, although the shoot with the 90 camera setup was also cool. I've made my guess as to the winner with only three shooters left. Have you? Wonder if there'll be a second season of the show.

If you missed the series, check VH1's schedule for January 15th, I think they're going to run a replay of all the programs that day. Or check out The Shot.VH1.com

A happy holiday season to all.

Elvis has left the building...
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Al_Nowak Find More Posts by Al_Nowak
Last edited by Al_Nowak; 12-22-2007 at 03:30 AM..

Re: End of year... some odds and ends
Old 12-22-2007, 03:26 AM   #2 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 55042
My Mood:

RobArtLyn is offline IP: 138.88.133.186

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al_Nowak View Post
not a single shot this year of a model within 2 feet of a toilet, no panty hooked on high heel shots, and no wet hair flipped over model's head forming a water droplet arc...
I only kept one of my resolutions. Does it count if I just happened to keep all of yours, too?

Of course, now I will be up all night trying to think of a half plausible yet esthetically objectionable shot that combines all three elements and a reason why someone would offer to pay you a large sum of money to shoot it in the next week.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to RobArtLyn Find More Posts by RobArtLyn

Old 12-23-2007, 03:07 AM   #3 (permalink)

Member GG#: 35406

Al_Nowak is offline IP: 68.255.62.252

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobArtLyn View Post
I only kept one of my resolutions. Does it count if I just happened to keep all of yours, too?

Of course, now I will be up all night trying to think of a half plausible yet esthetically objectionable shot that combines all three elements and a reason why someone would offer to pay you a large sum of money to shoot it in the next week.
Hey, I never said anything about incorporating all 3 cliches in one image! I can't even imagine a scenario in which such a shot would be called for...

Nope, sorry no points for keeping other people's resolutions.

I am thinking about image cliches to avoid this coming year. Anybody got any any fav's to add to the list? My thinking at the moment is body paint of any kind...

Elvis has left the building...
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Al_Nowak Find More Posts by Al_Nowak

Old 12-23-2007, 07:12 AM   #4 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 39209
Comments: 1

mchad99 is offline IP: 24.159.102.6

Models wearing angel's wings ....
  View Public Profile Send a private message to mchad99 Visit mchad99's homepage! Find More Posts by mchad99

Old 12-23-2007, 01:16 PM   #5 (permalink)
Pro Shooter

Member GG#: 38375
Comments: 2

jimmyd is offline IP: 75.23.179.246

For 2008, I resolve to resolve all my unresolved resolutions from 2007.

My NSFW blog
: http://prettygirlshooter.blogspot.com
  View Public Profile Send a private message to jimmyd Visit jimmyd's homepage! Find More Posts by jimmyd

Old 12-23-2007, 04:36 PM   #6 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

My Mood:

RobArtLyn is offline IP: 141.156.182.36

Quote:
Originally Posted by mchad99 View Post
Models wearing angel's wings ....
OK, I'm on board with that, just until VS calls me to shoot their next catalog.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to RobArtLyn Find More Posts by RobArtLyn

Old 12-23-2007, 04:57 PM   #7 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

My Mood:

RobArtLyn is offline IP: 141.156.182.36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al_Nowak View Post
Hey, I never said anything about incorporating all 3 cliches in one image! I can't even imagine a scenario in which such a shot would be called for...
Drunken, half naked woman walks into a bathroom that has flooded to a depth of several inches because she left the tub filling too long. She slips (stupid heels!) and while unsuccessfully trying to get up, soaks her hair and gets her shoe (stupid heels!) caught in her panties and winds up on the floor near the toilet. Just then, her husband walks in and tells her that their party guests have started to arrive. In her drunken stupor, she bolts upright in a panic, and her soaked long hair... well, you probably get the rest.

Now, ladies and gentleman, you understand what is wrong with my life, er, um, photography. I can come up with craptacular bad ideas all day long. The only thing lamer than me is anyone who works in Hollywood and wears a suit.

Well, there is one other thing lamer. Put it in grainy B&W and mostly out of focus. Tilt the camera at an extreme angle. Add some obvious indications of heroin abuse. Rough her up a bit. Viola. High concept fashion. A few years after the campaign has run and the photographer has died from liver failure, limited edition prints will sell for $15,000 to people who think it is art.

Old 12-25-2007, 10:35 AM   #8 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 57508

wildepics is offline IP: 66.32.24.252

Quote:
Drunken, half naked woman walks into a bathroom that has flooded to a depth of several inches because she left the tub filling too long. She slips (stupid heels!) and while unsuccessfully trying to get up, soaks her hair and gets her shoe (stupid heels!) caught in her panties and winds up on the floor near the toilet. Just then, her husband walks in and tells her that their party guests have started to arrive. In her drunken stupor, she bolts upright in a panic, and her soaked long hair... well, you probably get the rest.

Now, ladies and gentleman, you understand what is wrong with my life, er, um, photography. I can come up with craptacular bad ideas all day long. The only thing lamer than me is anyone who works in Hollywood and wears a suit.

Well, there is one other thing lamer. Put it in grainy B&W and mostly out of focus. Tilt the camera at an extreme angle. Add some obvious indications of heroin abuse. Rough her up a bit. Viola. High concept fashion. A few years after the campaign has run and the photographer has died from liver failure, limited edition prints will sell for $15,000 to people who think it is art.
So...knowing that this kind of thing can stick in your mind forever until resolved.....are you going to shoot it???
  View Public Profile Send a private message to wildepics Find More Posts by wildepics

Old 12-25-2007, 12:55 PM   #9 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

My Mood:

RobArtLyn is offline IP: 72.73.225.183

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildepics View Post
So...knowing that this kind of thing can stick in your mind forever until resolved.....are you going to shoot it???
No. Not unless someone else wants it bad enough to pay me. A lot. I can be bought. My standards can be ignored. But not for cheap.

I have never had any interest in shooting a model on/near a toilet, though I did spend an afternoon once sitting/standing on one shooting someone in a bubble bath (see my portfolio). I did the hair/water-arc thing as an experiment once, but didn't use the pics. I might succumb to the heel caught in the panties thing in a moment of weakness if it is appropriate for the audience.

I only came up with the combination scenario as a mental exercise.

Old 12-26-2007, 02:57 AM   #10 (permalink)
Aspiring Photographer

Member GG#: 50625

CatCynic is offline IP: 220.253.159.75

Quote:

I was afraid you were going to have the model dip her hair in the toilet...

I share that idea only 'cause it got stuck in my head and the only way to get it out was to tell you
  View Public Profile Find More Posts by CatCynic