Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Main Forums > Main Community Forum

Main Community Forum General Modeling & Photography Forum
Adult posts prohibited!>>Please Read Our GUIDELINES before posting!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
No Artificial Preservatives or Processing
Old 12-11-2007, 11:39 AM   #1 (permalink)
Photographer/Instructor

Member GG#: 52660
Comments: 0
Send a message via AIM to DaveB Send a message via Yahoo to DaveB Send a message via Skype™ to DaveB

DaveB is offline IP: 69.250.79.213

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

This is a straight image right out of the camera, that has ONLY been cropped and resized.

If everyone strives to create images IN the camera that need as little processing as possible, we would all spend more time shooting and less time over-processing, IMO.

Learn how to use your meter and your lighting. Learn how to calibrate these instruments so you can maximize every image BEFORE you even look at it on the computer.

Sure, there are a few minor things I can fix or some minimal re-touching I can do, but the key words are "minor and minimal."

david@posneg.com
My Current Photography Workshops
  View Public Profile Send a private message to DaveB Visit DaveB's homepage! Find More Posts by DaveB

Re: No Artificial Preservatives or Processing
Old 12-11-2007, 01:18 PM   #2 (permalink)
Lifetime Amateur

Member GG#: 35246
Comments: 7

jford is offline IP: 144.80.192.130

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Quote:
If everyone strives to create images IN the camera that need as little processing as possible, we would all spend more time shooting and less time over-processing, IMO.

Learn how to use your meter and your lighting. Learn how to calibrate these instruments so you can maximize every image BEFORE you even look at it on the computer.
LOL - how true!

Beautiful shot, Mr. B. Thanks for sharing.

Old 12-11-2007, 01:27 PM   #3 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 56509
Send a message via Yahoo to DDCStudios

DDCStudios is offline IP: 68.102.99.102

Over processing seems to be a trend from what Ive been seeing on here, I know way back they had a discussion title "Polishing Turds" interesting discussion.
love the shot, and kudos for showing something that needs no polishing!
  View Public Profile Send a private message to DDCStudios Visit DDCStudios's homepage! Find More Posts by DDCStudios

Old 12-11-2007, 01:39 PM   #4 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 54172
Comments: 5
My Mood:

cifcap is offline IP: 87.177.91.90

Geez,

That's an awesome shot sir! Your comments about getting it "right" before you press the shutter are spot on. Thanks for posting this stunning image.

JW
  View Public Profile Send a private message to cifcap Visit cifcap's homepage! Find More Posts by cifcap

Old 12-11-2007, 03:52 PM   #5 (permalink)
Vic Naumann

Member GG#: 40216
Comments: 37
My Mood:

Jagdoc is offline IP: 69.138.20.39

Over processing is an over used and subjective term.

I've taken one of Dave's lighting workshops and agree he really knows his lighting and composition. I doubt that anyone here doesn't want to get the best shot possible out of his camera, but what is the best result? It's what the photographer is looking for.

Dave's style is not always what I'm looking for. It would be kind of boring if everyone shot the same way. I wish people would understand that different doesn't mean bad.

This is one of my first model pictures taken about three years ago. I did spend a lot of computer time on it, and it looks just the way I want it to. I imagine many would label it 'overprocessed', that's their problem.
Vic
Click for larger version
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Jagdoc Find More Posts by Jagdoc

Old 12-11-2007, 04:28 PM   #6 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 35872
Comments: 41

R_Fredrick_Smith is offline IP: 76.236.211.40

This seems to be a continued issue of how much or how little post processing we should have in our photos. I'm of two minds on this issue. On the one hand, I like to previsualize a photo in my mind and then arrange the model and background and lighting to capture that previsualized result. But there are times when this is just not possible for a long list of reasons. In those cases I try to shoot the image in a way that will work best with the planned post processing later. The one thing that is still critical in this case is to have the exposure as right on target as you can get it. Anything less will mean giving up some of your data to correct the exposure problems. Next I like to try to get White Balance that is right on for the light (so I often use Custom White Balance). I also shoot RAW for all shots because this gives the maximum amount of raw data to work with after the fact.

When publishing photos right out of the camera you really have to shoot JPG and go ahead and give up the potential of that extra data. If you shoot RAW, then you can never really say that it is the photo right out of the camera because the RAW converters even with all sliders and settings at Zero still manipulate the data to produce the image you see.

Further, if you are shooting JPG, then you must be sure to set the camera's sharpness and contrast parameters accurately for the scene in question. I've found that one set of parameters doesn't work for all images, so you have to tweak these parameters based on the scene you are shooting. If one shoots RAW, naturally these parameters are not as important (but still play an integral role if you are going to "chimp" --- and that is a valuable tool).

So these are my brief philosophical remarks about photos right out the camera with no post processing. And as a final PS: where would Ansel Adams have been without Post processing of both the negatives and the prints? All of those great photos of his would be gone if he had been willing to settle for shots right out of the camera! But he used the same vision method of shooting that I talked about earlier.

By the way, great photo!

Click for larger version

Cheers,
rfs

"The map is not the Territory"
  View Public Profile Send a private message to R_Fredrick_Smith Visit R_Fredrick_Smith's homepage! Find More Posts by R_Fredrick_Smith

Old 12-11-2007, 04:34 PM   #7 (permalink)
Photographer/Instructor

Member GG#: 52660
Send a message via AIM to DaveB Send a message via Yahoo to DaveB Send a message via Skype™ to DaveB

DaveB is offline IP: 69.250.79.213

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagdoc View Post
I imagine many would label it 'overprocessed', that's their problem.
Vic
Click for larger version
This image is about a style and a look, and is not over-processed. You created an image and added your artistic style to create what you are looking for.

Much different than the plastic look we get from just everyday poor post production. Nice image!
david@posneg.com
My Current Photography Workshops
  View Public Profile Send a private message to DaveB Visit DaveB's homepage! Find More Posts by DaveB

Old 12-11-2007, 05:44 PM   #8 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 57204
Comments: 2

Absolutely Digital is offline IP: 202.33.109.12

HELLO, my name is Absolutely Digital Imaging and I'm an over-processer, I have been clean for 3 days now and I'm taking it one day at a time. lol

If photographers who over process had to register with the local authorities, like murders or child molesters I wonder how many would be in your area? Thank goodness I don't live near you lol I might be on the most wanted list of photographic over-processers

Old 12-11-2007, 06:15 PM   #9 (permalink)
Vic Naumann

Member GG#: 40216
Comments: 37
My Mood:

Jagdoc is offline IP: 69.138.20.39

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveB View Post
This image is about a style and a look, and is not over-processed. You created an image and added your artistic style to create what you are looking for.

Much different than the plastic look we get from just everyday poor post production. Nice image!
Thanks Dave, that's quite a compliment I will gladly accept from you. And I neglected to add that I am always impressed by your talent in getting the shot right, in the camera.

Best regards to you,
Vic
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Jagdoc Find More Posts by Jagdoc

Old 12-11-2007, 06:30 PM   #10 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 52996

JasonPhillip is offline IP: 68.165.187.250

IMHO There is a huge difference between processing and over-processing. I down't see adding a stylistic imagery to a picture as over-processing that is well within the artistic style. What I see as over-processing is when the resulting picture has obviously recieved extensive processing but there is am implicit attempt to pass it off as otherwise. Thats when you get that plastic look. But then again even that is in the eye of the beholder so forget I said anything.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to JasonPhillip Find More Posts by JasonPhillip