Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Main Forums > Main Community Forum

Main Community Forum General Modeling & Photography Forum
Adult posts prohibited!>>Please Read Our GUIDELINES before posting!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
How do you flow during a photo shoot?
Old 12-08-2007, 11:43 PM   #1 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 35679
Comments: 0
My Mood:
Send a message via AIM to Soujrnr Send a message via Yahoo to Soujrnr

Soujrnr is offline IP: 207.5.207.245

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

I am just wondering how you all "flow", for lack of a better word, during a photo shoot. Do you start with head shots, then move on through the stages to full-length and then change outfits? What is your methodology? This inquiring mind would like to know.

Good day!

Mike

Light a candle rather than curse the darkness!

View Public Profile Send a private message to Soujrnr Visit Soujrnr's homepage! Find More Posts by Soujrnr

Re: How do you flow during a photo shoot?
Old 12-09-2007, 12:22 AM   #2 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 35629

grsphoto is offline IP: 70.52.120.191

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

I work my sessions based around make-up and what my make-up artists needs.

This means I usually start with intimate portraits ( nudes) if that is part of the session and start adding clothes and make-up. Within each of my "looks" I will do full body as well as close up for headshots.

Glenn

Old 12-09-2007, 03:49 PM   #3 (permalink)
LivingINDaytona

Member GG#: 35280
Send a message via AIM to JaysonFromMaine Send a message via Yahoo to JaysonFromMaine

JaysonFromMaine is offline IP: 65.1.22.26

I think I tend to start with the full length image and close in for the head shot...when I pay attention to the pose of the body my head shots look better...so I might do a full, 3/4, 1/2, head series of each set up...But I have not shoot for so long my cameras are getting rusty...But i am working on that...
  View Public Profile Send a private message to JaysonFromMaine Visit JaysonFromMaine's homepage! Find More Posts by JaysonFromMaine

Old 12-09-2007, 04:34 PM   #4 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 56446

GS Imagery is offline IP: 70.75.97.16

Hi Mike

It all depends on what you need from your session, but more likely, what your model or customer, needs.

I, too, like to work closely with my MUA to determine her needs from the shoot, but also to ensure that both model and the make-up artist are both sharing my vision for the session.

I usually just start off with some light (warm-up) shooting, designed to loosen up the model, and to get me dialled in to her way of working. I usually adjust to the model, as opposed to having her try to figure out my cadence. I can often go with her "flow". It just works better that way, if you want to get the best out of your model. Just know, there are no hard and fast rules, as such. It all depends on the "vibe" in the studio on any particular day.

Because I tend to concentrate on the face, I like to wait until we're both comfortable and having fun, before I go for "money shot" in terms of a headshot. I like to get something "real" not something just given. That's just not a headshot, for me. There has to be an element of real emotion in the photo, or I haven't got what I wanted, even though a lot of models will be happy with what they see. For me, it just doesn't work if I wasn't able to tap into something a little deeper.

Full body shots are fun and all...and generally just go to fill out the "look". When I feel the model has exhausted all her poses, and I can't come up with any more suggestions, I usually opt for a wardrobe change and make-up augmentation. This helps everyone re-focus, and bring new and different energy to next phase of the shoot.

Overall, I tend to work slowly, and like to work up to what I'm really going after. While I do work methodically, I always ensure that the model has room to bring her own creativity to the project. In my mind, that's just vital. Artists need to feel that they can bring their own creative genius to any session. In fact, I encourage it. And that means make-up artists, and models alike. It's not always the photographer's show. That just gets too dry, where I come from.

Hope that helps you out a little.

Gary
  View Public Profile Find More Posts by GS Imagery

Old 12-10-2007, 11:31 AM   #5 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 59627
Comments: 2

womackphoto is offline IP: 70.250.202.70

Since most of my photo shoots are "gonzo", I just shoot as much as I can while avoiding bums, trains, cops and business owners, moving from location to location by car caravan. Quick make-up touch-ups when needed, then shoot till we all get tired.
  View Public Profile Visit womackphoto's homepage! Find More Posts by womackphoto