Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Main Forums > Main Community Forum

Main Community Forum General Modeling & Photography Forum
Adult posts prohibited!>>Please Read Our GUIDELINES before posting!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Call Me Silly...
Old 11-29-2007, 05:01 PM   #1 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 52810
Comments: 0
Send a message via AIM to mickeyparris Send a message via Yahoo to mickeyparris

mickeyparris is offline IP: 71.190.213.195

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

But what exactly does the term "Photojournalism" mean? This could be one of the stupidest questions posted, but I just don't know. A friend who shoots photography said he also does photojournalism. I asked what he meant, and he said taking pictures of the caterers. I don't get it. What does anyone here feel it means? You all seem to be quite learned.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to mickeyparris Find More Posts by mickeyparris

Re: Call Me Silly...
Old 11-29-2007, 09:14 PM   #2 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 35872
Comments: 41

R_Fredrick_Smith is offline IP: 76.236.210.224

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Well the typical dictionary definition is:

"Journalism in which a news story is presented primarily through photographs with supplementary written copy."

I suppose if a bunch of caterers were involved in a news story, then if you took pictures of them for the story, then it would be Photojournalism. But that would not be the definition. He was probably just trying to be funny.

Cheers,
rfs

"The map is not the Territory"
  View Public Profile Send a private message to R_Fredrick_Smith Visit R_Fredrick_Smith's homepage! Find More Posts by R_Fredrick_Smith

Old 11-29-2007, 10:24 PM   #3 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 56870
Comments: 3

BobEdens is offline IP: 68.59.249.94

To me a photo journalist records. Not art not glamour not portrait just capture what's hapening. Get the story that kind of stuff.

Its the photo journalist that follows the firemen or drives toward the storm instead of running away like the rest of us.. [grin]

Basically what he said..

Old 11-30-2007, 05:22 AM   #4 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 36463

BryanJWeitzel is offline IP: 69.136.173.248

I think your friend meant to say that he sometimes shoots in a photojournalistic style. It's popular in the wedding photography business now... you take pictures of things other than the typical wedding party, cake cutting, flower throwing, etc.

While I wouldn't quite call this image "photojournalism", it's sort of what he's talking about. This was an older couple taking a break at the reception.

Click for larger version

Bryan.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to BryanJWeitzel Visit BryanJWeitzel's homepage! Find More Posts by BryanJWeitzel

Old 11-30-2007, 08:47 AM   #5 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 38048
Send a message via AIM to RSStory Send a message via MSN to RSStory Send a message via Yahoo to RSStory

RSStory is offline IP: 24.11.112.53

Quote:
Originally Posted by BryanJWeitzel View Post
I think your friend meant to say that he sometimes shoots in a photojournalistic style. It's popular in the wedding photography business now... you take pictures of things other than the typical wedding party, cake cutting, flower throwing, etc.
What I am finding more and more in the wedding industry is that people that have little if any technical skills will say they have a pj approach to shooting weddings. They just shoot whatever with no thought or reason. When I shoot a pj style wedding all the shots are still well thought out. I am looking for specific things and capturing them, I am not just taking snapshots. This is another of the downfallls of the digital world we live in. People go buy a digital rebel or whatever and think they are a pro and then give away crappy work for $500 with the CD and full rights. Makes me nuts.

Not PJ

Old 11-30-2007, 12:21 PM   #6 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSStory View Post
What I am finding more and more in the wedding industry is that people that have little if any technical skills will say they have a pj approach to shooting weddings. They just shoot whatever with no thought or reason. When I shoot a pj style wedding all the shots are still well thought out. I am looking for specific things and capturing them, I am not just taking snapshots. This is another of the downfallls of the digital world we live in. People go buy a digital rebel or whatever and think they are a pro and then give away crappy work for $500 with the CD and full rights. Makes me nuts.
I don't disagree with your take on GWC's claiming to be pros. Drives me nuts too.

As to "what is a photojournalistic style"... it probably comes down to either being unplanned, or at least looking unplanned. My personal style for the pj addon is once the things that have to be done are done, I go looking for the things that aren't on the list... little girl dancing on Daddy's feet, old couple with a romantic moment smoking, etc. I don't like these to be set up. I usually just cruise around looking for the moments. But I don't think there is a right or wrong way to do it as long as the client knows what to expect.

I think the style option is being pushed by photographers not so much because it's a fad, but rather because it's something different... something other than having to track down the best man for pictures before he hits the bar... or hits the maid of honor, for that matter.

Bryan.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to BryanJWeitzel Visit BryanJWeitzel's homepage! Find More Posts by BryanJWeitzel

Old 11-30-2007, 12:24 PM   #7 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Send a message via AIM to RSStory Send a message via MSN to RSStory Send a message via Yahoo to RSStory

Quote:
Originally Posted by BryanJWeitzel View Post
I don't disagree with your take on GWC's claiming to be pros. Drives me nuts too.

As to "what is a photojournalistic style"... it probably comes down to either being unplanned, or at least looking unplanned. My personal style for the pj addon is once the things that have to be done are done, I go looking for the things that aren't on the list... little girl dancing on Daddy's feet, old couple with a romantic moment smoking, etc. I don't like these to be set up. I usually just cruise around looking for the moments. But I don't think there is a right or wrong way to do it as long as the client knows what to expect.

I think the style option is being pushed by photographers not so much because it's a fad, but rather because it's something different... something other than having to track down the best man for pictures before he hits the bar... or hits the maid of honor, for that matter.
Just for the record I like the shot you posted of the people smoking...

Old 11-30-2007, 12:41 PM   #8 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSStory View Post
Just for the record I like the shot you posted of the people smoking...
Just for the record, every time I read your tagline I laugh out loud because I remember that commercial. I tracked it down and stored it on my website if you want to watch it. It's in a Quicktime format.

Link is here

Bryan.

Old 11-30-2007, 12:46 PM   #9 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

now that made me laugh. I hadnt seen that before