Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  


 
Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Main Forums > Main Community Forum
 

Main Community Forum General Modeling & Photography Forum
Adult posts prohibited!>>Please Read Our GUIDELINES before posting!

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Call Me Silly...
Old 11-29-2007, 05:01 PM   #1 (permalink)
Free Member

 
mickeyparris's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Member GG#: 52810
Location: Franklin Square
Posts: 29
Comments: 0
Send a message via AIM to mickeyparris Send a message via Yahoo to mickeyparris

mickeyparris is offline IP: 71.190.213.195
 
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote

But what exactly does the term "Photojournalism" mean? This could be one of the stupidest questions posted, but I just don't know. A friend who shoots photography said he also does photojournalism. I asked what he meant, and he said taking pictures of the caterers. I don't get it. What does anyone here feel it means? You all seem to be quite learned.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to mickeyparris Find More Posts by mickeyparris
 
Re: Call Me Silly...
Old 11-29-2007, 09:14 PM   #2 (permalink)
Free Member

 
R_Fredrick_Smith's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Member GG#: 35872
Location: Dallas/Fort Worth Area
Posts: 3,660
Comments: 41

R_Fredrick_Smith is offline IP: 76.236.210.224
 
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote

Well the typical dictionary definition is:

"Journalism in which a news story is presented primarily through photographs with supplementary written copy."

I suppose if a bunch of caterers were involved in a news story, then if you took pictures of them for the story, then it would be Photojournalism. But that would not be the definition. He was probably just trying to be funny.

Cheers,
rfs
__________________

"The map is not the Territory"
  View Public Profile Send a private message to R_Fredrick_Smith Visit R_Fredrick_Smith's homepage! Find More Posts by R_Fredrick_Smith
 
Re: Call Me Silly...
Old 11-29-2007, 10:24 PM   #3 (permalink)
Free Member

 
BobEdens's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Member GG#: 56870
Location: Chattanooga
Posts: 454
Comments: 3

BobEdens is offline IP: 68.59.249.94
 
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote

To me a photo journalist records. Not art not glamour not portrait just capture what's hapening. Get the story that kind of stuff.

Its the photo journalist that follows the firemen or drives toward the storm instead of running away like the rest of us.. [grin]

Basically what he said..
__________________
-----------------------------------------------------
“While the rest of the species is descended from apes, redheads are descended from cats.” -- Mark Twain
  View Public Profile Send a private message to BobEdens Visit BobEdens's homepage! Find More Posts by BobEdens
 
Re: Call Me Silly...
Old 11-30-2007, 05:22 AM   #4 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

 
BryanJWeitzel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Member GG#: 36463
Location: Columbus
Posts: 49
Comments: 0

BryanJWeitzel is offline IP: 69.136.173.248
 
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote

I think your friend meant to say that he sometimes shoots in a photojournalistic style. It's popular in the wedding photography business now... you take pictures of things other than the typical wedding party, cake cutting, flower throwing, etc.

While I wouldn't quite call this image "photojournalism", it's sort of what he's talking about. This was an older couple taking a break at the reception.

Click for larger version
Re: Call Me Silly... 
__________________
"It's worse than that. He's dead, Jim" -- Dr. McCoy, aka "Bones"

Bryan.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to BryanJWeitzel Visit BryanJWeitzel's homepage! Find More Posts by BryanJWeitzel
 
Re: Call Me Silly...
Old 11-30-2007, 08:47 AM   #5 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

 
RSStory's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Member GG#: 38048
Location: Grand Rapids
Posts: 916
Comments: 0
Send a message via AIM to RSStory Send a message via MSN to RSStory Send a message via Yahoo to RSStory

RSStory is offline IP: 24.11.112.53
 
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote

Quote:
Originally Posted by BryanJWeitzel View Post
I think your friend meant to say that he sometimes shoots in a photojournalistic style. It's popular in the wedding photography business now... you take pictures of things other than the typical wedding party, cake cutting, flower throwing, etc.
What I am finding more and more in the wedding industry is that people that have little if any technical skills will say they have a pj approach to shooting weddings. They just shoot whatever with no thought or reason. When I shoot a pj style wedding all the shots are still well thought out. I am looking for specific things and capturing them, I am not just taking snapshots. This is another of the downfallls of the digital world we live in. People go buy a digital rebel or whatever and think they are a pro and then give away crappy work for $500 with the CD and full rights. Makes me nuts.

Not PJ
__________________
Trying to tame a red head is like trying to herd cats!
  View Public Profile Send a private message to RSStory Visit RSStory's homepage! Find More Posts by RSStory
 
Re: Call Me Silly...
Old 11-30-2007, 12:21 PM   #6 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

 
BryanJWeitzel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Member GG#: 36463
Location: Columbus
Posts: 49
Comments: 0

BryanJWeitzel is offline IP: 69.136.173.248
 
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSStory View Post
What I am finding more and more in the wedding industry is that people that have little if any technical skills will say they have a pj approach to shooting weddings. They just shoot whatever with no thought or reason. When I shoot a pj style wedding all the shots are still well thought out. I am looking for specific things and capturing them, I am not just taking snapshots. This is another of the downfallls of the digital world we live in. People go buy a digital rebel or whatever and think they are a pro and then give away crappy work for $500 with the CD and full rights. Makes me nuts.
I don't disagree with your take on GWC's claiming to be pros. Drives me nuts too.

As to "what is a photojournalistic style"... it probably comes down to either being unplanned, or at least looking unplanned. My personal style for the pj addon is once the things that have to be done are done, I go looking for the things that aren't on the list... little girl dancing on Daddy's feet, old couple with a romantic moment smoking, etc. I don't like these to be set up. I usually just cruise around looking for the moments. But I don't think there is a right or wrong way to do it as long as the client knows what to expect.

I think the style option is being pushed by photographers not so much because it's a fad, but rather because it's something different... something other than having to track down the best man for pictures before he hits the bar... or hits the maid of honor, for that matter.
__________________
"It's worse than that. He's dead, Jim" -- Dr. McCoy, aka "Bones"

Bryan.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to BryanJWeitzel Visit BryanJWeitzel's homepage! Find More Posts by BryanJWeitzel
 
Re: Call Me Silly...
Old 11-30-2007, 12:24 PM   #7 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

 
RSStory's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Member GG#: 38048
Location: Grand Rapids
Posts: 916
Comments: 0
Send a message via AIM to RSStory Send a message via MSN to RSStory Send a message via Yahoo to RSStory

RSStory is offline IP: 24.11.112.53
 
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote

Quote:
Originally Posted by BryanJWeitzel View Post
I don't disagree with your take on GWC's claiming to be pros. Drives me nuts too.

As to "what is a photojournalistic style"... it probably comes down to either being unplanned, or at least looking unplanned. My personal style for the pj addon is once the things that have to be done are done, I go looking for the things that aren't on the list... little girl dancing on Daddy's feet, old couple with a romantic moment smoking, etc. I don't like these to be set up. I usually just cruise around looking for the moments. But I don't think there is a right or wrong way to do it as long as the client knows what to expect.

I think the style option is being pushed by photographers not so much because it's a fad, but rather because it's something different... something other than having to track down the best man for pictures before he hits the bar... or hits the maid of honor, for that matter.
Just for the record I like the shot you posted of the people smoking...
__________________
Trying to tame a red head is like trying to herd cats!
  View Public Profile Send a private message to RSStory Visit RSStory's homepage! Find More Posts by RSStory
 
Re: Call Me Silly...
Old 11-30-2007, 12:41 PM   #8 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

 
BryanJWeitzel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Member GG#: 36463
Location: Columbus
Posts: 49
Comments: 0

BryanJWeitzel is offline IP: 69.136.173.248
 
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSStory View Post
Just for the record I like the shot you posted of the people smoking...
Just for the record, every time I read your tagline I laugh out loud because I remember that commercial. I tracked it down and stored it on my website if you want to watch it. It's in a Quicktime format.

Link is here
__________________
"It's worse than that. He's dead, Jim" -- Dr. McCoy, aka "Bones"

Bryan.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to BryanJWeitzel Visit BryanJWeitzel's homepage! Find More Posts by BryanJWeitzel
 
Re: Call Me Silly...
Old 11-30-2007, 12:46 PM   #9 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

 
RSStory's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Member GG#: 38048
Location: Grand Rapids
Posts: 916
Comments: 0
Send a message via AIM to RSStory Send a message via MSN to RSStory Send a message via Yahoo to RSStory

RSStory is offline IP: 24.11.112.53
 
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote

now that made me laugh. I hadnt seen that before
__________________
Trying to tame a red head is like trying to herd cats!
  View Public Profile Send a private message to RSStory Visit RSStory's homepage! Find More Posts by RSStory
 
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Casting Call For Models in Pensacola, Florida DocSmith Talent Exchange (TFP) 0 05-03-2009 02:20 PM
The Artful Nude Photography Show call for entries photoaz Main Community Forum 5 03-16-2008 02:31 PM

Sponsors


New To Site? Need Help? Photographer & Model Links
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:43 AM.

© 1999-2017 Garage Glamour™




Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93