Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Main Forums > Main Community Forum

Main Community Forum General Modeling & Photography Forum
Adult posts prohibited!>>Please Read Our GUIDELINES before posting!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Before and After ... Part 2
Old 11-25-2007, 09:32 PM   #1 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 35872
Comments: 41

R_Fredrick_Smith is offline IP: 76.236.210.224

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Here is the Before and After theme again. Perhaps you'd like to comment on the starting image here of Kristen. My theme here, was to make the most radical makeover of a shot I could do within reason in less than 1 minute. So here is the before and after shot:

And here is a larger view of the after photo (right above):

Click for larger version
Before and After ... Part 2 

If you have before and after shots, feel free to post them in this thread. Naturally comments and questions are hoped for and expected.

Note: There is a slight fix that I failed to do on the above after images. What do you think it is?

Cheers,
rfs

"The map is not the Territory"
  View Public Profile Send a private message to R_Fredrick_Smith Visit R_Fredrick_Smith's homepage! Find More Posts by R_Fredrick_Smith

Re: Before and After ... Part 2
Old 11-26-2007, 02:04 AM   #2 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 59999
Comments: 3

fugatephoto is offline IP: 80.148.25.249

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

The editing is wonderful! I love the softness added as well as the glamour effect, giving it a warm glow. Just curious what lighting do you use? It looks as though you are using the light from the side and perhaps a bit of backlighting? Is this correct? Gorgeous image! I'm still trying to figure out what you didn't do?? hmmm... very interesting...
  View Public Profile Send a private message to fugatephoto Find More Posts by fugatephoto

Old 11-27-2007, 02:03 PM   #3 (permalink)
Free Member

Quote:
I'm still trying to figure out what you didn't do?? hmmm... very interesting...
I didn't sharpen the eyes in the after photo. Compare the before eye sharpness to the after. Normally, I would use the history brush to paint back in the sharpness (or use a black mask layer) of the before onto the after.
Cheers,
rfs

View Public Profile Send a private message to R_Fredrick_Smith Visit R_Fredrick_Smith's homepage! Find More Posts by R_Fredrick_Smith

Old 11-27-2007, 03:56 PM   #4 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 59999
Comments: 3

fugatephoto is offline IP: 80.148.25.249

Thanks for sharing! That was driving me crazy. Lesson learned, pay more attention to the small detail! Do you ever oversharpen your eyes to get a different look, such as diamonds in the eyes? I've done that in some photos and my clients have loved the outcome.

Happy Clicking!
Misty
  View Public Profile Send a private message to fugatephoto Find More Posts by fugatephoto

Old 11-27-2007, 06:47 PM   #5 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 52976
Comments: 43
My Mood:

soupman is offline IP: 75.41.29.167

IMO as the grasshopper to the Master...I think what you did in the short time was fantastic, but I think the highlights are a little blown out and the shadow from the hand in the lower right is very dark in contrast to the photo. (I did not catch the eyes...that would have been very important if it were printed.)

I use Paint Shop Pro X (I can afford this) and would have had to work a while to get close to what you accomplished in one minute. You must have predefined filters or macros that help you do many of the common steps. This is going out on a limb, but the Portrait Professional advertised on this site (you may not see it as a full member), will get the face very close to what you accomplished in less than one minute. I assume that it has built-in macros that automatically adjust features in different zones of the face with a predefined formula designed to "improve" a portrait based upon some statistical analysis of thousands of faces. I think you know from working with thousands of clients what works and can quickly get there.

Thank-you for the before and after. I learn something about photography everytime you post.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to soupman Find More Posts by soupman

Old 11-28-2007, 02:46 PM   #6 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 47251
Comments: 0
My Mood:

Zakd is offline IP: 91.150.78.205

I love what you did with the after photo, it really gives a different look and maybe more dramatic feeling.... great job....
what was the PSD for this reasult....
thanks
Zak
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Zakd Find More Posts by Zakd

Old 11-28-2007, 09:23 PM   #7 (permalink)
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zakd View Post
I love what you did with the after photo, it really gives a different look and maybe more dramatic feeling.... great job....
what was the PSD for this result....
thanks
Zak
I was using Photoshop plugin called CEP 3.0 (formerly called NIK Color EFEX Pro). It has 52 filters and I used three of them to produce this effect. I've been using the product for about 3 or 4 years (version 1 and 2). This latest version was just released last week. The "glamour glow" and the "skin cleaner" are two of the key new filters. They also have some very powerful B/W conversion effects. You can read more about it here:

http://www.niksoftware.com/colorefexpro/usa/entry.php

Here is a link to another effect that I'm working on right now --- but its not quite where I want it yet.

http://www.rfredricksmith.com/michelle-vi-09.jpg

Cheers,
rfs

Old 11-29-2007, 07:39 AM   #8 (permalink)
Vic Naumann

Member GG#: 40216
Comments: 37
My Mood:

Jagdoc is offline IP: 69.138.20.39

I've recently been using Portrait Professional and find it very good for achieving similar results. I use it on a duplicate layer and then adjust opacity to suit.

Very good work Roger, and thanks for the recommendation for Nik

Vic

Click for larger version
Tess
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Jagdoc Find More Posts by Jagdoc

Old 11-29-2007, 06:05 PM   #9 (permalink)
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagdoc View Post
I've recently been using Portrait Professional and find it very good for achieving similar results. I use it on a duplicate layer and then adjust opacity to suit.

Very good work Roger, and thanks for the recommendation for Nik

Vic
My understanding was, that Portrait Professional only deals with modification to the head in a shot, but does not affect the rest of the shot. Is that right, or is there something more that I'm missing.
Cheers,
rfs

Old 11-29-2007, 09:25 PM   #10 (permalink)
Vic Naumann

Member GG#: 40216
Comments: 37
My Mood:

Jagdoc is offline IP: 69.138.20.39

It says it effects skin area, but I think it changes some other tones slightly as well. There is a before and after you can look at to see what it is changing.

I was looking at Kodaks Digital Gem airbrush and another photographer recommended this to me. I like it, but it is easy to go too far, although that's a very subjective area.

Vic
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Jagdoc Find More Posts by Jagdoc