Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Main Forums > Main Community Forum

Main Community Forum General Modeling & Photography Forum
Adult posts prohibited!>>Please Read Our GUIDELINES before posting!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
The interesting thing
Old 11-24-2007, 08:11 PM   #1 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 36016
Comments: 2
My Mood:

mhickey is offline IP: 69.138.45.243

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

at one time on the old Garage Glamour I was near the top in posts. Now I rarely post. HMMMMMM. I even lost points some how in all that evolved during the transition. I come back on occasion and folks say good to see you, but what has changed. I now read a disturbing series of posts where Rolando may or may not have been slurred. I can tell you that I do not have any sympathy for anyone that supposes that they are any better than anyone else based upon race, ethnic origin, or where they were born or whatever. My point is why does this forum always seem to be in turmoil? I wish it wasn't, I always loved the old days.

So anyone who cares knows, if you want to contact me Mike@visualstills.com, while I have a lifetime membership I do not know that I want to spend it checking this forum unless something changes, what's the purpose?

Mike

Re: The interesting thing
Old 11-24-2007, 08:14 PM   #2 (permalink)
Founder Garage Glamour™

Member GG#: 1
Comments: 10
My Mood:
Send a message via AIM to rolandogomez

rolandogomez is offline IP: 70.125.157.219

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Mike,

Nice to see you. Forums have discussions, sometimes they are off-topic and from day one, there is always some turmoil, that's what makes them interesting. The posting is to have fun, help others, learn, teach, etc., it's what you make of it. We're not going anywhere and we welcome your contributions. Have a great Holdiay Season and thanks for being a part of the G1 community and family. Good to see you, rg sends!
Photographer & Author author of five photography books. My newest book is Socially Smart: Twitter Plus Facebook, Marketing Multipliers And Brand Boosters Click here for My Tweet Workshop Information and the Photo Blog
  View Public Profile Send a private message to rolandogomez Visit rolandogomez's homepage! Find More Posts by rolandogomez

Old 11-24-2007, 09:20 PM   #3 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 38048
Comments: 0
Send a message via AIM to RSStory Send a message via MSN to RSStory Send a message via Yahoo to RSStory

RSStory is offline IP: 24.11.112.53

I know I dont spend much time at all here anymore. I know that I have heard about all the hits or page views or whatever it is that this site gets, but I dont see the participation that we used to have here. I dont see the quality of work that used to be here with the exception of a few of the old timers posting now and then. I see alot of controversy and bad blood between too many people.

What I dont see is the premier glamour forum that GG was, and that makes me sad.

Old 11-25-2007, 02:29 AM   #4 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 41629
Send a message via AIM to wsheldon50131 Send a message via Yahoo to wsheldon50131

wsheldon50131 is offline IP: 12.202.226.101

Photographers can be the worst kind of politicians. In many ways I have to be both in my life. Here are some political words to live by.

Speak softly and carry a big stick.
CHARACTER. It counts.
Dont get caught.
Dont ask dont tell.
only stick your neck out if you can keep it attached.
Know how to create a trap and allow the victim to spring it themselves.

But seriously, go read a 14th century book written by an Italian monk. Nicolo Machiavelli wrote the book "The Prince" in regards to politics.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to wsheldon50131 Visit wsheldon50131's homepage! Find More Posts by wsheldon50131

Old 11-26-2007, 08:33 PM   #5 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 39919
Send a message via Skype™ to FotosNow

FotosNow is offline IP: 71.102.47.191

Mike & Rick, Could not agree with you more. GG was a good site with lots of traffic and quality. It has not been the same since the change.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to FotosNow Visit FotosNow's homepage! Find More Posts by FotosNow

Old 11-27-2007, 10:09 AM   #6 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 36974
My Mood:

Photomart is offline IP: 76.186.39.178

Hey Mike, wondered where you went. I discovered GG back around 2002, when 6mp camera were considered high resolution and digital photography started to overtake film for many photographers. I loved GG because I could relate to everyone ... whether they shot film for years or were just exploring their first camera, most photographers were making the transition to digital and we were all encounterring the same experiences with the new digital technology. I would definitely say that the GG "community" was the most important influence in steering me toward all the photography equipment I currently use and the thoughtful critiques (good and bad) helped me push my photography skills in positive directions.

So what has changed?

In my opinion, participating on GG was a little like attending group therapy ... by participating I learned about myself, I discovered that we all experience a lot of the same problems (no-show models, technical glitches, lighting challenges) ... and many of us became better because of the GG experience. And, like with any successful therapy ... it worked! I found I needed the group less and less. I saw my technical and artistic skills grow ... and as a result, my photography business grew. Soon, I found I was spending less and less time on GG and more time shooting. On those ocassions when I did return to GG (by then it changed to G1) ... the group had changed. Gone were many of the familiar avatars. I began to feel a stranger in this once familiar place. Since I had fewer and fewer problems to post, and the comments and critiques on my work were 99% positive, I wasn't getting as much out of G1 as in "the old days."

Today, I return from time to time ... share a photo every now and then, tutor some of the local photographers ... but most of my days are spent shooting, retouching and working on websites. Still ... I miss the old GG therapy group.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Photomart Visit Photomart's homepage! Find More Posts by Photomart

Old 11-27-2007, 12:22 PM   #7 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 35872
Comments: 41

R_Fredrick_Smith is offline IP: 76.236.210.224

Excellent observations.
Cheers,
rfs

"The map is not the Territory"
  View Public Profile Send a private message to R_Fredrick_Smith Visit R_Fredrick_Smith's homepage! Find More Posts by R_Fredrick_Smith

Old 11-27-2007, 02:18 PM   #8 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 39216
Comments: 2
Send a message via MSN to isaiahbrink Send a message via Yahoo to isaiahbrink

isaiahbrink is offline IP: 67.187.238.142

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSStory View Post
I know I dont spend much time at all here anymore. I know that I have heard about all the hits or page views or whatever it is that this site gets, but I dont see the participation that we used to have here. I dont see the quality of work that used to be here with the exception of a few of the old timers posting now and then. I see alot of controversy and bad blood between too many people.

What I dont see is the premier glamour forum that GG was, and that makes me sad.

Old 11-27-2007, 07:58 PM   #9 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 52976
Comments: 43
My Mood:

soupman is offline IP: 75.41.29.167

I myself am an amature photographer and was excited to find this site. I have learned so much since I have been visiting. I don't know if I will ever photograph beautiful models, but my photography has improved. Last week, after reading dozens of old posts, I decided to purchase three Alien Bees AB-800's, varous stands, two large soft boxes, a couple of umbrellas, a wired remote controller for the lights, a digital light meter, a backdrop stand and some backdrops. (I forgot to order the hot shoe adapter for my camera and ordered it tonight). I have always wanted to move to the next level, but didn't want to spend a lot of money with little experience. Obviously I am really excited right now and can't wait to try out the new equipment. By word of mouth (and other photos I have done), I have been asked to shoot a wedding next year and I am looking forward to that learning experience. To me, RFS and many other frequent posters are my mentors. Maybe the site has changed to you...or maybe you outgrew what the site does best? If you are a professional and work with photography equipment every day, I'll bet you get to the "been there, done that" mode and become bored. If so, that's too bad because there are folks like me who are excited to hear comments, look at photos and try their ideas.

I remember when I purchased my first Nikon 35mm SLR in the '70's. I only had books and magazines to help me. I didn't know anyone I could get advice or tips from. I am not sre that many folks really appreciate what RG has built from "thin air" and the great community of all types of people who visit and build relationships.

Sorry for the long post, this is just my opinion. As a matter of fact...I am feeling guilty for not paying some dues to the site so I am going to join as soon as I finish this post.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to soupman Find More Posts by soupman

Old 11-27-2007, 09:36 PM   #10 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 35803

photoknight is offline IP: 66.108.222.98

Dad!!!!....or at least, photo Dad. What's up, Mike? Yea, I totally agree. I miss the old GG. This new format just doesn't have the same feel...just came back after being away for a while...hope all is well in your world...hope you stick around. Need some of the old blood to keep this place intersesting.