Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Main Forums > Main Community Forum

Main Community Forum General Modeling & Photography Forum
Adult posts prohibited!>>Please Read Our GUIDELINES before posting!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Wondering---
Old 11-19-2007, 11:02 AM   #1 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 37304
Comments: 0
Send a message via Yahoo to trwphoto

trwphoto is offline IP: 12.108.210.155

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Just how long this will stay on here. Not long I bet.
Rolando I have had nothing but the greatest respect for you until now. I know I am a free member on here, but my financial situation hasn't been that great as of late. I am on 100% disability for about 5 years and the extra money I have made in photography has helped the wife and I have a little extra from time to time and thought I could someday join this sight as a "lifer". Figured if that happened I could say I had made it as a photog.
Basically the thread you started, listed below seemed a little trivial and not of much importance, but now you have put it at the top of this forum, locked it, and I have decided that maybe you aren't quite the person I once admired and wanted to someday shoot like.
To bad because I really like it here and will miss a lot of the great folks here including you.

The Real Color of White-Lighting & Alien Bees
  View Public Profile Send a private message to trwphoto Visit trwphoto's homepage! Find More Posts by trwphoto

Re: Wondering---
Old 11-19-2007, 12:26 PM   #2 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 39216
Comments: 2
Send a message via MSN to isaiahbrink Send a message via Yahoo to isaiahbrink

isaiahbrink is offline IP: 67.187.238.142

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

So, your take on what the CEO of Alien Bees/White Lightning said was trivial? Hmmm, well, everybody's entitled to their opinion, and there is an oportunity here to voice your opnion, as well as others. I know, if somebody disagree's with you they are something bad and horrible because they had the nerve to disagree with you. But you know what? You'd expect a CEO of a large coroporation to watch what the hell comes out of his mouth. Ok, I'm not hispanic, I'm white, but that still was offensive and the guy should dissappear and let the PR people clean up after that mess he made with racial slurs like that.

Old 11-19-2007, 04:02 PM   #3 (permalink)
Photographer/Instructor

Member GG#: 52660
Send a message via AIM to DaveB Send a message via Yahoo to DaveB Send a message via Skype™ to DaveB

DaveB is offline IP: 69.250.79.213

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaiahbrink View Post
So, your take on what the CEO of Alien Bees/White Lightning said was trivial? Hmmm, well, everybody's entitled to their opinion, and there is an oportunity here to voice your opnion, as well as others. I know, if somebody disagree's with you they are something bad and horrible because they had the nerve to disagree with you. But you know what? You'd expect a CEO of a large coroporation to watch what the hell comes out of his mouth. Ok, I'm not hispanic, I'm white, but that still was offensive and the guy should dissappear and let the PR people clean up after that mess he made with racial slurs like that.
Wasn't there some confusion as to if it was a racial slur, or if he was referring to the oils or grease typically used in Rolando's glamour work?

I don't have time to read that thread, but if there is a shred of possibility that it wasn't an intended, blatent racial slur, then I would say you just pre-judged someone without all of the facts.
david@posneg.com
My Current Photography Workshops
  View Public Profile Send a private message to DaveB Visit DaveB's homepage! Find More Posts by DaveB

Old 11-19-2007, 04:18 PM   #4 (permalink)
Founder Garage Glamour™

Member GG#: 1
Comments: 10
My Mood:
Send a message via AIM to rolandogomez

rolandogomez is offline IP: 70.125.157.219

My apologies if the thread offends you, it will eventually come down. To clarify, I don't use grease and Paul Buff has never seen me shoot, though he claims he based his comments on the fact that glamour photographers use grease in their shoots--he associated my name with his derogatory comments, there was no call for that.

I've never attacked that man, only gave my opinion about his products. He posted personal attacks, I responded. No CEO or person for that matter should act the way he did. We all make mistakes in life, I'm guilty of them too, the difference is an apology which he has yet to give, only excuses why he said what he did.

If you feel that it makes me a bad person to expose his uncalled for actions, you have that right and I respect that. I gave my country over 17-years of my life through the military, both active-duty and civilian, to defend the right for us to agree to disagree and I hope you can respect that right.

End of story, we're not going to rehash it. There is more here.

Thanks for being a part of this community and family, all the best, rg sends!
Click for larger version
Photographer & Author author of five photography books. My newest book is Socially Smart: Twitter Plus Facebook, Marketing Multipliers And Brand Boosters Click here for My Tweet Workshop Information and the Photo Blog
  View Public Profile Send a private message to rolandogomez Visit rolandogomez's homepage! Find More Posts by rolandogomez

Old 11-19-2007, 04:24 PM   #5 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 35872
Comments: 41

R_Fredrick_Smith is offline IP: 76.199.112.129

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveB View Post
Wasn't there some confusion as to if it was a racial slur, or if he was referring to the oils or grease typically used in Rolando's glamour work?

I don't have time to read that thread, but if there is a shred of possibility that it wasn't an intended, blatent racial slur, then I would say you just pre-judged someone without all of the facts.
I read the whole original set of remarks by Buff in context. We can't know what his intent was, naturally, since only a mind reader could know that, but what he said was worded in such away that it implied that one would use grease from Rolando's body, not some oil placed on the model's skin. The other thing I've noted in the many times I've worked with Rolando when he was shooting is that he does not put any oil or grease on the model's body that I've seen. I believe that virtually any person with a Mexican heritage would see it as a slur. If it wasn't Buff's intent that it be a slur, then he should have apologized and withdrawn the remark, but he did not do this. I attempted to contact Buff privately about this (to try an bring some sanity to the whole mess), but his tone in his reply was to attack me, and make false statements about me also, so I just dropped the matter and will never try to correspond with him again. I have dealt with many corporate executives over a long carreer in the computer industry and I've never encountered someone as unpleasant as Mr. Buff. This is sad indeed, because I own some of his lights and really like them for the uses I put them to.

Cheers,
rfs

"The map is not the Territory"
  View Public Profile Send a private message to R_Fredrick_Smith Visit R_Fredrick_Smith's homepage! Find More Posts by R_Fredrick_Smith

Old 11-19-2007, 04:41 PM   #6 (permalink)
Ed Peters

Member GG#: 37945

epeters is offline IP: 139.181.28.34

You say we can't read his mind and then his comment(s) implied, to me that's reading something that isn't there. Maybe I'm remembering other glamor shots, but a lot of them look like there is oil (or some other substance ofter being used). One thing for sure is that Paul Bluff is very thin skinned, and egotistical. I guess it doesn't bother me, as working in the computer industry for over 40 years I've seen a lot worse. Do you say your sorry if somebody interpreted something in a way you didn't mean? A paranoid person wouldn't, because then people would take that as an apology (that they did mean it). As the originator of this thread indicated; I also wish this would go away. YMMV

Old 11-19-2007, 06:46 PM   #7 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 57919
Comments: 1

kgphoto is offline IP: 69.235.141.205

I still stand by my original comments on that thread.

I don't believe it was a racial slur and I admire and appreciate both parties contributions to the photographic world. Let's leave it at that and let it die.

Life is too short to wallow in negativity.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to kgphoto Find More Posts by kgphoto

Old 11-23-2007, 08:39 PM   #8 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 39919
Send a message via Skype™ to FotosNow

FotosNow is offline IP: 71.102.47.191

Paul Bluff has a bad habit of sticking his foot in his mouth. This has caused him to be kicked off of several major Boards. If only he could stick to facts.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to FotosNow Visit FotosNow's homepage! Find More Posts by FotosNow

Old 11-23-2007, 10:53 PM   #9 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 56870
Comments: 3

BobEdens is offline IP: 68.59.249.94

I'm confused, but thats nothing new.
Lets make racial slurs about somebody in the United States? Arent we all a bunch of inbred, mixed breed, multiraced scum?? Isn't that the principal that founded this nation? That ALL would be equal? Now we're so carefull not to step on a "racial" toe it makes me sick. I understand that "racial equality" was necessary years ago but now?? don't we know better?

The only way we are going to see each other as equals is to start looking with our hearts instead of what we've been taught.

I don't have a beef with the alien bee guy, other than my JTL's cost a lot less and do a great job.

I don't have a beef with Rolando if he was attacked because of his race or heritage he should defend himself. I am an American Tennessee backwoods redneck and have no idea where my ancestors came from.. Rolando knows more about his past than I ever will and I admire that.

If Rolando is causing the guy that insulted him some grief by having this thread, I say keep it open.

It's about the photo people, making women ** look "beautiful".
The race of a woman dictates what is "beautiful" but either way its our job to make that happen. The women we shoot should always appear beautiful to the man she had the photo made to impress.

Thats what we do, right??

** Glamour can apply to men as well and any of us that take pride in the title "Glamour Photographer" should be able to shoot anyone that asks.

Old 11-24-2007, 08:33 PM   #10 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 36016
Comments: 2
My Mood:

mhickey is offline IP: 69.138.45.243

Life is like a purple antelope running through a field of tuna fish as a great philosopher once told me. So why does anyone suppose that their interpretations or concern matter to anyone other than those that love them. Peace my friend is elsewhee.
Mike