Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Main Forums > Main Community Forum

Main Community Forum General Modeling & Photography Forum
Adult posts prohibited!>>Please Read Our GUIDELINES before posting!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Classic glam with Alli
Old 11-12-2007, 10:28 PM   #1 (permalink)
Oddly Irritating

Member GG#: 35404
Comments: 2

ErnieR is offline IP: 70.128.1.151

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Or at least I hope it's kinda classical.

So I got this room at a somewhat rundown motel to shoot some photos of my favorite model Alli. I didn’t want a really rundown motel…. Mainly because I would be staying the night there after the shoot and I had a butt load of photo equipment with me for the commercial job I was shooting the next day.

I wanted the photos to look kind of gritty with a classic or at least sophisticated old school glam look…. With a little bit of a voyeurism thrown in for good measure.

I lit these with a boomed 600 WS strobe in a small Photoflex softbox with a 40 degree grid on it to keep the light tight. The light fell off pretty well at the edges and a relatively longish shutter speed of 1/100th of a sec to let the light fixture on the wall add some light to the scene so it didn’t look “dark”.

The shower photos were all Alli’s idea and were mainly for fun. I think they turned out great, very cool and stylish…. I wish I’d thought of it.

I lit these with an SB-800 superclamped to the shower rod and used a Pocket Wizard to fire it.

My Website
My Photo Blog
My Photo Diary
  View Public Profile Send a private message to ErnieR Visit ErnieR's homepage! Find More Posts by ErnieR

Re: Classic glam with Alli
Old 11-12-2007, 11:23 PM   #2 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 36333
Comments: 0

gr8shotz00 is offline IP: 67.171.119.22

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

I like 3 the best
  View Public Profile Send a private message to gr8shotz00 Find More Posts by gr8shotz00

Old 11-13-2007, 08:27 AM   #3 (permalink)
Lifetime Amateur

Member GG#: 35246
Comments: 7

jford is offline IP: 144.80.193.138

Some nice stuff, Ernie. I recommend that your PS out the light in the first and crop a little tighter. Second and fourth pretty nice. Third is great except for your unintentional amputation of the poor girl's arm. Of the three shower scenes, I like the first best. Third maybe better in color?
Seriously - very nice work. I think it's interesting, even exciting. Certainly not "oddly irritating." Watch the details.
Thanks for sharing.

Old 11-13-2007, 09:59 AM   #4 (permalink)
Oddly Irritating

ErnieR is offline IP: 147.97.131.66

Thanks. You can't see it very well in the websized version, but if you crop out the top right you loose the whirls of smoke up there that are very clear in the prints, but I'll think about the lamp bit. And the cropping of that arm was completely intentional, the only place I've seen where people bemoan the cropping of limbs are the internet forums.
I could probably crop in a bit and keep the feel that I like about it, but not much more. Anyway, thanks again.

My Website
My Photo Blog
My Photo Diary
  View Public Profile Send a private message to ErnieR Visit ErnieR's homepage! Find More Posts by ErnieR

Old 11-13-2007, 12:40 PM   #5 (permalink)
Lifetime Amateur

Member GG#: 35246
Comments: 7

jford is offline IP: 144.80.193.138

"... the only place I've seen where people bemoan the cropping of limbs are the internet forums."
I know what you mean. I'm not generally prone to worry about some cropping, but here the unusual angle of her upper arm and the shadow gives the limb an unusual appearance - almost as if it had been glued onto her chest. Maybe that's why it's striking.
As for the crop on #1, now looking carefully I can make out a bit more of the smoke. Yeah, certainly keep the smoke.
Thanks, again.

Old 11-13-2007, 02:13 PM   #6 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 54172
Comments: 5
My Mood:

cifcap is offline IP: 217.86.118.96

Ernie,

I like them. Perhaps a little grain or sepia like toning would add to the classic effect.

Again good shots,
JW
  View Public Profile Send a private message to cifcap Visit cifcap's homepage! Find More Posts by cifcap

Old 11-13-2007, 02:24 PM   #7 (permalink)
Oddly Irritating

"...the unusual angle of her upper arm and the shadow gives the limb an unusual appearance - almost as if it had been glued onto her chest. Maybe that's why it's striking."

I wanted her arm to pull you out of the frame in a abrupt, almost jarring way. It breaks the rules of composition and it does it in a very flagrant fashion... it turned out much better than I thought it would and I love it...

My Website
My Photo Blog
My Photo Diary

Old 11-13-2007, 02:34 PM   #8 (permalink)
Oddly Irritating

Quote:
Originally Posted by cifcap View Post
Ernie,
I like them. Perhaps a little grain or sepia like toning would add to the classic effect.
JW, I thought about adding grain but it didn't feel right. The grain takes away from the creamy texture of her skin. And sepia just isn't the right era, maybe a selenium tone or a rich chocolate tone, but not sepia.

Oh, and Jford, here's that last shower photo in color.

My Website
My Photo Blog
My Photo Diary

Old 11-27-2007, 03:56 PM   #9 (permalink)
Oddly Irritating

I intended to add these earlier, but I got sidetracked...

So here are some more of the photos I shot with Alli in the motel room….

These particular photos ended up being much sexier than I imagined they would be. Although Alli is more than capable of starting fires with her eyes, the looks she gave me for these photos were above and beyond what I expected.

I still wanted the gritty old school glam feel to these photos, but with less “classic” and more “ voyeurism” to make it hot and murky. I wanted her to be aware that there was a “viewer” but to be completely indifferent to them, and what they wanted. Well, she gave me that plus whatever else she could think of.

Maybe what I wanted her to do was tease us, doesn’t really matter what I wanted though. This is what I got and I love it.

Anyway, take it easy.....

My Website
My Photo Blog
My Photo Diary

Old 11-27-2007, 05:26 PM   #10 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 35872
Comments: 41

R_Fredrick_Smith is offline IP: 76.236.210.224

Of the original posted images, I liked the first 4 best. I didn't care for any of the shower ones. I don't think these latter posted images are as good as your first 4 as they are not as well lit stylistically speaking.

Click for larger version

Cheers,
rfs

"The map is not the Territory"
  View Public Profile Send a private message to R_Fredrick_Smith Visit R_Fredrick_Smith's homepage! Find More Posts by R_Fredrick_Smith