Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Main Forums > Main Community Forum

Main Community Forum General Modeling & Photography Forum
Adult posts prohibited!>>Please Read Our GUIDELINES before posting!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Finally...I have my own studio!!
Old 11-08-2007, 06:53 PM   #1 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 35679
Comments: 0
My Mood:
Send a message via AIM to Soujrnr Send a message via Yahoo to Soujrnr

Soujrnr is offline IP: 207.5.207.245

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Hi gang,

Well, it's official. I closed on the deal last Sunday afternoon. After going through a separation from my wife last March, dealing with the aftermath of that with three kids, and having to move into my own house (just bought my house too...closed on it on June 30th), and having to pay over $1000 a month in "spousal support" and child support, I managed to get a studio too. It's small...only about 700 square feet...but it's a start. Right now it's painted white; floors, walls, ceiling. All I need now is a jacket with really long sleeves and a purple crayon between my toes and I'll be all set.

Seriously though, it's a big leap of faith for me since I don't have a client base to speak of (my new house is in a new town). Now comes the fun of trying to find new ways to market myself and get some clients. And yes, I'm open to suggestions from everyone willing to give them. I'm scared to death jumping into this but the price was right and I don't want to look back on my life and kick myself for not pursuing my dreams. I'm sure many of you can relate to that.

I am officially moving in on Nov. 16th or the 19th. I have four strobes, a few large muslins, very few props, and that's about it. I am building some home-made light modifiers (like a light bank) and I want to get a few props but money is very tight. If anyone has any other words of advice, I'm all ears.

So, wish me luck. Damn the torpedos...full speed ahead.

Good day!

Mike

Light a candle rather than curse the darkness!

View Public Profile Send a private message to Soujrnr Visit Soujrnr's homepage! Find More Posts by Soujrnr

Re: Finally...I have my own studio!!
Old 11-08-2007, 07:36 PM   #2 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 45340

PhotosbyChuck is offline IP: 68.75.44.88

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Congrats on getting your start!
  View Public Profile Visit PhotosbyChuck's homepage! Find More Posts by PhotosbyChuck

Old 11-08-2007, 10:02 PM   #3 (permalink)
Lifetime Member

Member GG#: 48779

Brennans_Photography is offline IP: 68.190.201.215

Congrats, Mike!! I have some family in Eastport I could send your way. Are you near there?

Pete
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Brennans_Photography Visit Brennans_Photography's homepage! Find More Posts by Brennans_Photography

Old 11-08-2007, 10:07 PM   #4 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brennans_Photography View Post
Congrats, Mike!! I have some family in Eastport I could send your way. Are you near there?

Pete
Hi Pete. Unfortunately, Eastport is about four hours from me but thanks for the thought!

Good day!

Mike

View Public Profile Send a private message to Soujrnr Visit Soujrnr's homepage! Find More Posts by Soujrnr

Old 11-09-2007, 07:31 AM   #5 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 57204
Comments: 2

Absolutely Digital is offline IP: 202.33.109.12

Congratulations on your separation!!!!!! There is nothing more gratifying than to be free of the things that hinder and make one unhappy.

I don't know if the forum knows that I am in the Armed Service and we say have this saying before we start a mission with unforeseen dangers and that something is a (a 4 letter word that starts with "F" and then it). So basically go for it and learn from your mistakes if you make any but always try to learn from someone else's mistakes.

Don't look back....Regression is a bad thing.

Old 11-09-2007, 09:43 AM   #6 (permalink)
Lifetime Amateur

Member GG#: 35246
Comments: 7

jford is offline IP: 144.80.193.138

Lotta changes, man. No wonder you haven't been hereabouts lately.
But best wishes for success on your new studio venture. There's been a lot of discussion periodically about marketing - be sure to search the archives.

Old 11-09-2007, 12:06 PM   #7 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 35363
Comments: 1
Send a message via MSN to Matt_Echterling Send a message via Yahoo to Matt_Echterling

Matt_Echterling is offline IP: 67.149.53.104

I hear ya man, that monthly check to the ex really grabs ya by the balls. and mine also got the house and I still have to pay for it plus having to right that big old one time check to give that ( well no name calling) half of all the savings bites when she was the one that got caught! Big at least you have the start of a dream when mine is all but over.
I don't know what kind of work you're going after, but if it's general stuff like families , kids, and seniors, I'd build a real nice X-mass scene with fack tree and fireplace, put a full page ad in the local papers with a real nice but small package as a teaser price to get a slue of people thru the door.

Much luck,
Matt

Old 11-09-2007, 01:12 PM   #8 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 54172
Comments: 5
My Mood:

cifcap is offline IP: 217.86.106.168

Good luck man life works out the way out does for a reason. You have a small studio space and it's a start. You never know where it will take you.

Take care,
JW
  View Public Profile Send a private message to cifcap Visit cifcap's homepage! Find More Posts by cifcap

Old 11-09-2007, 01:24 PM   #9 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 39216
Comments: 2
Send a message via MSN to isaiahbrink Send a message via Yahoo to isaiahbrink

isaiahbrink is offline IP: 67.187.238.142

Congrats Mike!!! This makes perfect sense why you havent been around lately, but you havent been forgotten. I know it's a big step and if you're ever up in the Fresno area (I know, way the heck up north) let me know, maybe we can hit Yosemite.

Isaiah

Old 11-11-2007, 01:49 PM   #10 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jford View Post
Lotta changes, man. No wonder you haven't been hereabouts lately.
But best wishes for success on your new studio venture. There's been a lot of discussion periodically about marketing - be sure to search the archives.
Hi John,

Yup, lots of changes indeed! You know I could never forget you guys and gals here on G1. You have been my family for a long time. I have been a bit of a prodigal for a while but I'm back again. I just had a lot of schtuff to work through. More good news came my way this week and I'm going to share that in a separate post! Thanks for chiming in. Its always good to hear from you!

Be well, sir!

Mike