Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Main Forums > Main Community Forum

Main Community Forum General Modeling & Photography Forum
Adult posts prohibited!>>Please Read Our GUIDELINES before posting!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
A lighting products question for Rolando
Old 10-27-2007, 12:45 AM   #1 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 36660
Comments: 0

lsleelee is offline IP: 72.204.157.116

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

This question was brought up by the whole Paul Buff / racism / whatever debate, but I really don't care enough about that to make a relevant comment, so I thought I'd take my off topic question to its own thread :

Since you don't like AB/WL, what DO you recommend for those of us who can't afford Hensel or Elinchrom?

Edit : This is open to anybody even though I put Rolando's name in the title.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to lsleelee Visit lsleelee's homepage! Find More Posts by lsleelee
Last edited by lsleelee; 10-27-2007 at 05:00 AM..

Re: A lighting products question for Rolando
Old 10-27-2007, 09:03 AM   #2 (permalink)
Photographer/Instructor

Member GG#: 52660
Send a message via AIM to DaveB Send a message via Yahoo to DaveB Send a message via Skype™ to DaveB

DaveB is offline IP: 69.250.79.213

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

All I ever used or have used has been White Lightning and Alien Bees, and most of my work is high end commercial.

It's not necessarily the golf clubs, but the golfer, and how talented he is at understanding the tools he has in his bag, and how to maximize their effect coupled with his capabilities.

david@posneg.com
My Current Photography Workshops
  View Public Profile Send a private message to DaveB Visit DaveB's homepage! Find More Posts by DaveB

Old 10-27-2007, 10:54 AM   #3 (permalink)
Pro Shooter

Member GG#: 38375
Comments: 2

jimmyd is offline IP: 75.23.179.246

I use Novatron monolights. I have four of them: 3-M300s and 1-M500. They get the job done. They recycle fast. They have plenty of power for glamour shooting, the color temp is fine, and they're adjustable in 1/8 stop increments. They're also pretty tough: I've dropped them a few times. One time, one of them came off a boom from about 12 feet up and hit the concrete floor. But it keeps working--The flash tube and modeling light smashed and there's some dents on the unit but it still works fine. THat's one tough light.

My NSFW blog
: http://prettygirlshooter.blogspot.com
  View Public Profile Send a private message to jimmyd Visit jimmyd's homepage! Find More Posts by jimmyd

Old 10-28-2007, 04:39 AM   #4 (permalink)
Founder Garage Glamour™

Member GG#: 1
Comments: 10
My Mood:
Send a message via AIM to rolandogomez

rolandogomez is offline IP: 66.248.165.68

First, I have nothing against AL/WL themselves, nor do I have anything against the photographers that use them. I personally like lights that work accurately, efficiently, and effectively, and some lights give you that ability to work better in the above than others.

If you can't afford Hensels or similar products, go for Dynalights.

The key is to study what lights have to offer for the money while remembering that Light is the Lifeblood of the image. It's better to spend good money on one great light and learn it first, then spend good money on a light kit and not know what one light can do for you. Here are some helpful posts/articles to help you choose.

Article one

Article two

Thanks, rg sends!

Click for larger version
Photographer & Author author of five photography books. My newest book is Socially Smart: Twitter Plus Facebook, Marketing Multipliers And Brand Boosters Click here for My Tweet Workshop Information and the Photo Blog
  View Public Profile Send a private message to rolandogomez Visit rolandogomez's homepage! Find More Posts by rolandogomez

Old 10-28-2007, 07:58 AM   #5 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 45340

PhotosbyChuck is offline IP: 68.75.44.88

The article is an interesting read, thanks.

Why is 1/1300 flash duration ideal? (I see that is the rate for the Hensel). My camera can't sync faster than 1/250, so the shutter will be open for 1/250 regardless of how quickly the tube discharges it's watts.
  View Public Profile Visit PhotosbyChuck's homepage! Find More Posts by PhotosbyChuck

Old 10-28-2007, 08:45 AM   #6 (permalink)
Photographer/Instructor

Member GG#: 52660
Send a message via AIM to DaveB Send a message via Yahoo to DaveB Send a message via Skype™ to DaveB

DaveB is offline IP: 69.250.79.213

That's the beauty of strobe. Regardless as to the fastest sync speed of your camera, flash can stop action up to a 10,000th of a second or faster. The flash duration depends on many factors, including flash power and amount of ambient light or lack there of.
david@posneg.com
My Current Photography Workshops
  View Public Profile Send a private message to DaveB Visit DaveB's homepage! Find More Posts by DaveB

Old 10-28-2007, 09:19 AM   #7 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 42194
Comments: 5
Send a message via AIM to Titan Send a message via Yahoo to Titan

Titan is offline IP: 68.62.100.153

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyd View Post
. But it keeps working--The flash tube and modeling light smashed and there's some dents on the unit but it still works fine. THat's one tough light.

Dents and scratches in your lights mean you're a big time pro.

Old 10-28-2007, 09:26 AM   #8 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 47947

wantunn is offline IP: 165.21.154.15

How about used/second hand?
I got a pair of Elincrom Prolinca 400s which work good enough for me. So far I've just had to change the flash tube and modelling lamp on one of them once and that was due to my own fiddling anyway (note to self, don't jiggle the bulbs when they're plugged in).

Nothing against ABs or WLs but they don't sell those in my country (Singapore) and the voltage difference makes it to messy anyway.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to wantunn Find More Posts by wantunn

Old 10-28-2007, 10:46 AM   #9 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 45340

PhotosbyChuck is offline IP: 68.75.44.88

Sorry, I should have tied my question back to the article. Here is what I was referring to:

Quote:
5. Flash Duration. The shorter the flash duration, the better, this is important when shooting outdoors. Durations of 1/1300 or more are great. This is important when capturing moving objects or action when utilizing short shutter-speeds outdoors, thus providing for a higher dynamic range when intermixing daylight with flash and better flash synchronization. Long flash durations will continue firing while the camera shutter has already closed, often this causes a color-shift toward the blue spectrum and also can cause un-sharp images.
The question is, why is 1/1300 or more great? Is 1/1300 some kind of theoretical limit or was it because that's the flash duration of the Hensel? If so, fine. I'm not criticizing that. I'd just like to understand the technical side of the article's use of 1/1300 duration, if there is one.
  View Public Profile Visit PhotosbyChuck's homepage! Find More Posts by PhotosbyChuck

Old 10-28-2007, 05:36 PM   #10 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 58497
Comments: 1

AHG_Photography is offline IP: 153.90.196.61

This question was brought up by the whole Paul Buff / racism / whatever debate, but I really don't care enough about that to make a relevant comment, so I thought I'd take my off topic question to its own thread :

Since you don't like AB/WL, what DO you recommend for those of us who can't afford Hensel or Elinchrom?

Edit : This is open to anybody even though I put Rolando's name in the title.

__________________________________________________ _________________

To start with, I much prefer power pack type systems to any monolight type system. With a central power pack, the flash energy (W*s) to each flash head is adjusted from one location rather than having to access several monolights. Ease of use is an important consideration. In glamour photography, you should not spend much time making system adjustments with the model present.

My current studio flash system is a Calumet (made by Bowens) PS-4 3000 W*s power supply with four matching flash heads each 3000 W*s. It is an asymmetrical power supply with more than enough range of adjustment for most practical uses. I purchased all the equipment mentioned used but in excellent condition from e-Bay and other sources. A similar system but with digital controls is still marketed. With various umbrella reflectors, this system has served for all of my recent indoor photo shoots. Usually, for the living rooms and bedrooms that function as my studios, only two flash heads and two 45 inch diameter umbrellas are required. Some claim that the Bowens built flash systems have reliability problems. However, I have had no problems in the last two years with about 3000 images taken.

__________________________________________________ ________________

Alan G.
Nude, Glamour, and Fashion Photography of Montana
Belgrade, Montana
__________________________________________________ ________________
  View Public Profile Send a private message to AHG_Photography Find More Posts by AHG_Photography