Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Main Forums > Main Community Forum

Main Community Forum General Modeling & Photography Forum
Adult posts prohibited!>>Please Read Our GUIDELINES before posting!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Traditional shot of lovely Kellie
Old 10-19-2007, 02:12 PM   #1 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 42284
Comments: 0

icuphotography is offline IP: 209.155.236.42

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Re: Traditional shot of lovely Kellie
Old 10-21-2007, 08:29 AM   #2 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 45340

PhotosbyChuck is offline IP: 68.75.44.88

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Kellie always looks great...but I'm not sure why is she dead center in the frame? The background makes me think this was a candid shot, but she's posed...so I'm confused!

View Public Profile Visit PhotosbyChuck's homepage! Find More Posts by PhotosbyChuck

Old 10-21-2007, 08:36 AM   #3 (permalink)
Photographer/Instructor

Member GG#: 52660
Send a message via AIM to DaveB Send a message via Yahoo to DaveB Send a message via Skype™ to DaveB

DaveB is offline IP: 69.250.77.239

The image isn't sharp. There doesn't seem to be a focal point. Too much dead space above her head as well. Not a good composition.

Why is she wearing a fur hooded jacket with a sleeve-less summer sweater?

david@posneg.com
My Current Photography Workshops
  View Public Profile Send a private message to DaveB Visit DaveB's homepage! Find More Posts by DaveB

Old 10-21-2007, 09:00 AM   #4 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 42284

icuphotography is offline IP: 74.195.185.106

Workshop image. I did not dress and style her.

Check your monitor. The image is extremely sharp. It was shot with an 85 1.2.

I agree about the composition. I did leave too much space at the top. Not quite sure why her being centered in the frame is bad composition though and the background was painted to look like graffitti hence the candid look.

Old 10-21-2007, 09:26 AM   #5 (permalink)
Photographer/Instructor

Send a message via AIM to DaveB Send a message via Yahoo to DaveB Send a message via Skype™ to DaveB

DaveB is offline IP: 69.250.77.239

OK. Maybe mention next time a little bit more about the image, the purpose, etc. I would not have been so inclined to comment in detail about a workshop image.

As far as the sharpness, I still think it's not sharp.

Mine looks sharp. Your's doesn't. Maybe compare and tell me what you see:

david@posneg.com
  View Public Profile Send a private message to DaveB Visit DaveB's homepage! Find More Posts by DaveB

Old 11-12-2007, 09:30 PM   #6 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 59350

okc73ta is offline IP: 68.227.123.101

Doing a search for monitor information and this topic came up as a hit. I was at the same workshop as ICU and here's my version of the scene with Kellie. Barring composition, color, etc (I'm a newbie to this), is this shot considered sharp? Looks sharp on my monitor, and is may as sharp as it can be with the el' cheapo lens I used (Please don't bash the equipment either). Just wondering if I've at least made it to the parking lot of the ball park of taking "sharp" pictures. Thanks.

View Public Profile Send a private message to okc73ta Find More Posts by okc73ta

Old 11-13-2007, 09:14 AM   #7 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 45340

PhotosbyChuck is offline IP: 68.75.44.88

You got great eye color there! It is sharp, but to my eye looks slightly soft -- only slightly though. Is the above image a 100% view? Did you do any post-processing? Is your camera set to soften the photo for you?
  View Public Profile Visit PhotosbyChuck's homepage! Find More Posts by PhotosbyChuck

Old 11-13-2007, 09:30 AM   #8 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 35872
Comments: 41

R_Fredrick_Smith is offline IP: 76.246.172.118

Quote:
Originally Posted by icuphotography View Post
Check your monitor. The image is extremely sharp. It was shot with an 85 1.2.
The eyes look soft to me. I'm on a 6 month old monitor, calibrated every two weeks.

Click for larger version

Cheers,
rfs

"The map is not the Territory"
  View Public Profile Send a private message to R_Fredrick_Smith Visit R_Fredrick_Smith's homepage! Find More Posts by R_Fredrick_Smith

Old 11-13-2007, 11:38 AM   #9 (permalink)
Photographer/Instructor

DaveB is offline IP: 69.250.79.213

Quote:
Originally Posted by okc73ta View Post
Doing a search for monitor information and this topic came up as a hit. I was at the same workshop as ICU and here's my version of the scene with Kellie. Barring composition, color, etc (I'm a newbie to this), is this shot considered sharp? Looks sharp on my monitor, and is may as sharp as it can be with the el' cheapo lens I used (Please don't bash the equipment either). Just wondering if I've at least made it to the parking lot of the ball park of taking "sharp" pictures. Thanks.

To me that is sharp.
david@posneg.com

Old 11-13-2007, 10:07 PM   #10 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 59350

okc73ta is offline IP: 68.227.123.101

Yes, it's a 100% crop. The settings of the camera was normal sharpening. As far as PP, some USM, dup layer, gauss blur, set opac, clean up around the eyes and mouth with history brush and flatten using PS CS. I hear that CS3 offers better sharpening algorithms than CS but I haven't gotten around to upgrading as I need to upgrade my skill set first. Anyways, the shot was done with an "old" D70 with the kit 18-70 lens. I get ridiculed about my gear often by my "pro" photog buddies who buy the latest wiz bang, golly gee, item of the moment. Quite honestly, I would pay them not to photograph me or my family as I don't think too highly of their work. But their target audience may have lower standards than me (they remind me of that their clients just want a picture, and that's exactly what they are giving them. When I mention things like the color looks funny or shouldn't one focus on the eyes instead of the tip of the nose, they roll their eyes) I'm soapboxing here.
Back to the picture. I borrowed an Apple cinema display just to look at the picture after reading your comments here. I knew my monitor's color management was a joke but I didn't realize how much detail information was being tossed. So, yes, I see that it is indeed soft. I did attempt to calibrate the monitor using Eye one display 2, but the monitor has this nice X shaped area that's out of wack, seems to be a design "feature" of the particular monitor that I have, but the general audience doesn't notice.... so the salesmen says. But that only handles color and I don't think it helps out on the sharpness. Like I said, I'm new to all of this (outside of just using the camera as a glorified point and shoot, but the wife wanted me to take up a safer hobby so she got me the camera a couple years back and PS CS to go with it, I'm getting to where I'm having fun doing this and now want to improve my skills) I really enjoyed Rolando's workshop and glad that my wife strongly suggested that I attend it as it did give me lots to ponder and areas to work on. Anyways, I'm a believer in feedback in order to improve the quality of a product (any folks working in an Agile shop knows how important quick and constant feedback is) and I thank you gentlemen for the response. A mea culpa is in order for the verbosity of this "quick reply"

John
  View Public Profile Send a private message to okc73ta Find More Posts by okc73ta